Skip to main content

https://www.letsgotribe.com/20...zies-unreal-wingspan

Heard of Ape Index through the NBA, but got me wondering if there might be a new catch phrase/tag line coming to baseball? 

How much longer till this becomes as important as height/weight, esp when it comes to pitchers in particular??? 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Dominik85   I could be wrong, but I think it originated from competitive rock climbers. The elite of that sport seem to all have really long arms when compared to their actual height. Some people believe that’s why in the NBA some 6’6” guys play like 7’  

I was wondering if maybe I might be on to something. With how technical baseball has become I can see this being a hot topic in a couple years.  I mean how much longer are we going to watch flat 98 get destroyed by MLB hitters before some GM decides to try and mix it up a little???

@Go44dad posted:

I can't reach the bottom of my front pockets.

Ape Index -8

Just spit my drink out!! Sorry about that 44. Long arms are overrated. 

To @ReluctantO'sFan I think it is an interesting conversation. High Ape score (geez, now I want a new name) is only good with pitchers if they have control (true with velocity as well) and can stay healthy. For position players, being extra long and tall is a liability unless you're short to the ball and can use the leverage that comes from length. Otherwise you can't keep up with fast pitching. Additionally, you need an extra dose of athleticism to be a plus fielder. PTWoodson had high school coaches that told him he was going to have to become a pitcher because of his height... to the point where he downplayed how tall he is on PG/PBR. His write ups for a while were..."frame to dream on, huge power potential if he can time up the levers"... 

Because of all those other factors, I don't ever see it becoming a stand-alone metric or a predictor of success but what do I know?

@Dominik85   I could be wrong, but I think it originated from competitive rock climbers. The elite of that sport seem to all have really long arms when compared to their actual height. Some people believe that’s why in the NBA some 6’6” guys play like 7’  

I was wondering if maybe I might be on to something. With how technical baseball has become I can see this being a hot topic in a couple years.  I mean how much longer are we going to watch flat 98 get destroyed by MLB hitters before some GM decides to try and mix it up a little???

Ah ok, looked it up and it seems to come from climbing as you said. I thought it sounded problematic because it is used for basketball players and ape used to be a common racist insult for black people.

It definitely can be an advantage for some sports.discus throwers always have long arms, usually the top guys are like 6'6 with an over 7 wingspan.

For hitters super long arms might not be so great as it could make the swing path a little longer and make it harder to stay inside but not sure.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.