Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Son was a late season addition to a team in the Appy League.  So his experience is limited to a few weeks experience.

Teams were professionally ran - a direct result of being former Minor League affiliates.  Games were played Tuesday - Sunday with Monday's off.  Games were played in two game series on back to back nights.  No overnight travel as teams were within a short distance of each other.  Longest bus ride was around 4 hours.  Everything else was less than an hour.

Son's team stayed in a hotel all season.  He had a buddy on another team whose team stayed in a college dorm.

He really enjoyed the atmosphere at the games.  Teams were mostly well supported by local fans, and the teams gave the fans a great experience.  Said it got rowdy on dollar beer night and thirsty Thursdays but he described that as "fun".

Most games were live streamed over the internet both via video and radio.  So we were able to catch most all of his games which was a nice bonus for us.

Season started early June and ran through early August.  Son left the Apply League on a Sunday and reported to his college campus on Wednesday - so a very short turn around for him.

I would be happy to try and answer any other questions you may have.

Last edited by jaketaylor
@jaketaylor posted:

Season started early June and ran through early August.  Son left the Apply League on a Sunday and reported to his college campus on Wednesday - so a very short turn around for him.

I would imagine that there are pluses and minuses to starting Fall Camp so soon after Summer Ball ends.  It’s good to be “game ready” when Fall interquad scrimmages begin.  

Any perspective on that would be helpful.  My son is a D3 freshman and plans on playing in a College Summer League next summer.

3and2 In my opinion it probably depends on the kid, the position and overall workload.  I'm sure others with more experience can chime in as well.

Kid is a juco catcher (which primarily plays Double Headers) and team typically uses a 2 catcher rotation.  It was somewhat similar on both of the summer leagues he played. From February to August he had exactly 3 weeks and 3 days without games on the schedule.  It comes down to load management and for my son solid communication with his coaches.  His college coaches knew his schedule and gave him the option to report late. His response:  "No chance".

So while I was concerned at times of the volume, he told me this last week that he is in the best shape he has been in for ball.  Definitely better shape than he was in in reporting for his freshman year in '20. Whether that is from the volume or maturity or what remains to be seen.

He is driving the boat now in terms of his career.  I offer advice when asked, and of course "funding".

Last edited by jaketaylor
@jaketaylor posted:

Son was a late season addition to a team in the Appy League.  So his experience is limited to a few weeks experience.

Teams were professionally ran - a direct result of being former Minor League affiliates.  Games were played Tuesday - Sunday with Monday's off.  Games were played in two game series on back to back nights.  No overnight travel as teams were within a short distance of each other.  Longest bus ride was around 4 hours.  Everything else was less than an hour.

Son's team stayed in a hotel all season.  He had a buddy on another team whose team stayed in a college dorm.

He really enjoyed the atmosphere at the games.  Teams were mostly well supported by local fans, and the teams gave the fans a great experience.  Said it got rowdy on dollar beer night and thirsty Thursdays but he described that as "fun".

Most games were live streamed over the internet both via video and radio.  So we were able to catch most all of his games which was a nice bonus for us.

I would be happy to try and answer any other questions you may have.

Thanks so much!  I will send you a PM.

@jaketaylor posted:

3and2 In my opinion it probably depends on the kid, the position and overall workload.  I'm sure others with more experience can chime in as well.

Kid is a juco catcher (which primarily plays Double Headers) and team typically uses a 2 catcher rotation.  It was somewhat similar on both of the summer leagues he played. From February to August he had exactly 3 weeks and 3 days without games on the schedule.  It comes down to load management and for my son solid communication with his coaches.  His college coaches knew his schedule and gave him the option to report late. His response:  "No chance".

So while I was concerned at times of the volume, he told me this last week that he is in the best shape he has been in for ball.  Definitely better shape than he was in in reporting for his freshman year in '20. Whether that is from the volume or maturity or what remains to be seen.

He is driving the boat now in terms of his career.  I offer advice when asked, and of course "funding".

Jake,

Can you share how your son was invited to play in the appy league and what other league did he play on?

Thanks!

2022 NYC -  sure.

He started the summer in a local collegiate league in Oklahoma and NW Arkansas. Nothing prestigious as far as the national summer scene but was scouted well by the regional schools.

The Appy League team contacted his college coach needing a catcher an outfielder and arms.  He and a couple of teammates were on a plane two days later. 

I think Appy League will build momentum and become a top league.  When they were MILB they had great crowds and town support and still run by MiLB staff.  This year had some hiccups like the team that had to send everyone home after a player threatened to kill players and coaches.  It will continue to grow and get great talent.  They are working on housing for next year already and other details.  We are actually good friends with several guys in the leadership group.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.