Skip to main content

I have been in contact with a coach from a small d3 school since the begining of my college recrutiment process. Does it mean anything if he is asking me to keep him updated on my application to the school and for my showcase activities? Or is it a generic thing that all coaches in some way or form say? thanks for the help in advance. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Guessing you're a HS senior since you mention application. A lot of variables here but, in my son's experience, this a pretty standard way of indicating genuine interest, as opposed to "hey, we'd like to see you at a camp;" but not necessarily that they absolutely have to have you commit verbally right now. If you're interested in the school, I certainly don't think it would hurt you to provide him with this information and further the conversation to find out where you sit on his board at your position. If not, you can find a way to politely and respectfully let him know that you've moved on. Best of luck!

Last edited by tequila

If that is a school you are interested in, If the deadline has not passed, I would apply Early Action.  Is this he only schools you are in contact with? Do you consider it a fit? If so continue to follow up. 

How often do talk to the coach? Is it the head coach or a recruiting coordinator? My son went D3 and the schools most interested called weekly to see how things were going. 

BishopLeftiesDad posted:

If that is a school you are interested in, If the deadline has not passed, I would apply Early Action.  Is this he only schools you are in contact with? Do you consider it a fit? If so continue to follow up. 

How often do talk to the coach? Is it the head coach or a recruiting coordinator? My son went D3 and the schools most interested called weekly to see how things were going. 

Yeah I have already applied Early action and feel as though academiclly I would be happy at. I think I meant was since I applied and he asked me about my application process is that a good sign or something. To answer your other questions, it is an assitant coach who seems to act like the main guy for recruting and I seem to talk about every other week updating etc. sorry for the mix up from earlier. 

No mix up just shines some light on it. I would go on the teams website and see if he is listed as the recruiting coordinator. If he is all is good. This is typical behavior from coaches. The school does not always inform the coaches of who has applied, often times the admission may not want to know, who the athletes are. Depends on how snooty the school is about athletics. 

My son had the same conversations many times with the coaches that were recruiting him. If there are issues with admissions reach out to the coach. He just wants to keep track where you are in the process. And he may not be able to get it from admissions. 

Last edited by BishopLeftiesDad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.