Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

University of Southern California, Cal-Berkeley, Cal Poly san Luis obispo, Rice, Washington, UNLV all have excellent baseball and architecture programs. I think Harvard and Yale also fit the bill.

I will tell you though, and others on this board have said their experience is otherwise, when my son went through the process he was specifically told by each school he spoke with on this subject that it was not possible to play any sport and major in architecture. To this end, we spoke with coaches, admissions officers and the Deans of two different architecture departements.

The primary reason is that architecture classes have labs typically every afternoon and you need to be at games or practice every afternoon. In hand with this, arhitecture is easily one of the most time consuming majors one can pursue in college.

You may find a different answer, do your homework and check with the schools you become interested in. We did not find one that would allow my son to do both, maybe you'll have better luck.
It might be worth noting that Drury in Springfield Missouri is one of the few (perhaps only) liberal arts colleges offering an architectural degree program (5-year). Drury has a strong academic reputation, and is a DII school that is starting a baseball program from scratch, to begin playing in the Great Lakes Valley Conference in 2007.
That being said, I have spent some time looking at the course sequence requirements, etc. on the Drury website and do not believe any student could successfully handle both an architecture program and college baseball.
I realize that this sound goofy, and I am REALLY out on a limb, but here is one of those situations where a school with an academic program that is not all consuming might be a better choice, a better fit.

Would agree with other esteemed posters...check with the coaches. Some schools make allowances for academic majors for athletes others simply do not....another one of the "you need to research" questions that are very often overlooked.
Georgia Tech has an architecture program. As others have suggested, I'd bet that it would be difficult to major in architecture and play sports at the same time. The architects are the only group I saw pulling more all nighters than us chemical engineers when I was at Tech. I'm not saying it's impossible to combine sports with a mojor in architecture, but be very up-front with the coaches and academic school in asking about the possibilities.
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee has a very good Architectural program.

I know members of the Baseball team are in the program and able to handle both loads.

My son looked at UWM before deciding on Johns Hopkins, and the coach walked us to the Architectural school office and sat in on the meeting.

He indicated that while it would be work, it is doable and the coaches would support that effort.

Great coaching staff (Especially the pitching coach) mid level baseball program.
I graduated in architecture from Va Tech, and in my wildest dreams, I cannot imagine the professors there tolerating the schedule conflicts which would arise from team practices and road trips. Then there's the general expectation of many hours of work each day in addition to the 4 hour labs you have each day.

In my five years at Tech, not one athlete majored in architecture that I know of. I wouldn't recommend it.

Choose baseball, and pursue a different major.
I too have heard that it is very tough to combine architecture studies with baseball. It can be done in some cases, but probably takes a very special student, not to mention special baseball player.

As to what they earn, I am in the mortgage business, so I see what many professions earn. I can tell you that I've provided home loans for architects that make good six figure incomes, as good or better than primary care physicians. Possibly the highest paid individual I've ever provided a home loan for, was an architect. He may have been the extreme exception to the rule, but he did have a 7 figure annual income. One thing is for sure, many primary care physicians don't get paid enough for what they do, or the education they obtained to earn a low six figure income in many cases. I've seen family practitioners who earned under 100K per year, and architects don't have to worry about malpractice like your doc does.
Brookc2b,

Sorry kid, architecture school is tough in itself. I know because "I are one" an arkytec with a 5-year B. of Architecture from U. of Arkansas. That aside, it was the best time of my life! I had more fun doing something I loved. It has to be a passion for any young person in order to get through and put up with everything they put you through. Check your ego at the door because the course load and hours you have to put in are tremendous. Others have said something about the all nighters, well it is true. Then, after several all nighters you have to present your project to a group of professors who show no remorse when they find every little thing you did wrong or should of done differently. They do this to break you down and remold you to meet the demands of the architectural business world. But, let me tell you, the friends you make and your classmates become like a baseball team. They got your back. I was 20 when I started in arch school, which helped a lot. I did have a part time job because I did not have a choice. This time away from studying was very hard.
A baseball team committment and arch school would be, in my opinion, almost impossible. For instance, at the U of A at that time, it took 168 hours to receive a 5 year degree. This was only class time, research, homework and project work. It does not include all of the extra time to get your projects finished.
But I'll tell you what, show me the kid who did both baseball and architecture school, I'll hire him because he's one tough kid who is definitly a team player! Keep us posted on your decision.
Field Builder you are 100% correct.

However, Brookc2b there is a way to do both.
Some architectual school have what is know as a Masters in Architecture - 1st Professional Degree. This is for the student who graduates from a 4 year school with a degree other than Architecture. It's a 3 year program which is 95% architectural classes.

You can attend a 4 year school, play baseball and then get your masters degree in architecture. When you consider it takes 5 years to get your Bachelor's in Architecture, it's really not that much longer.

To be an Architect you have to love it and breathe it. To play baseball at the college level you have to love it and breathe it also. This way you can do both.

Virgina Tech and Carneigie-Mellon are 2 schools I know that have the Masters Program.
My daugther is currently in the Bachelor of Architectural Studies at the University of Kansas. She will then get her Masters (3 year program) in Architecture. Some of the graduate level courses can be taken as an undergrad, so it is possible to complete the Masters in 2 1/2 additional years. It seems that this program would be managable for someone wishing to play baseball at the same time.
Thanks a lot for all the comments. This makes me rethink my major. See I am in the top 5 of my class and I have always wanted architecture to be my field of choice. Still with me being above average in academics, with your comments, i don't want to be stuck at home all throughout college. I want to enjoy college and party with my baseball friends. Maybe there is some other major or minor of some sort that involves drafting or something along that line. But I think with your comments, I am going to change my field to kinesiology. Thanks for all the help. P.S.: your replies really stressed me out, thinking i had my future planned! THANKS
Pirate Fan

I have enough knowledge as to what it takes--My dad was a Professor of Civil engineering at the college level and I have a degree in Math

A college student can do anything he wants to if he makes up his mind to do so and allocates his time properly

You are entitled to think I am 100% incorrect just I can believe that your thinking is off base.

The boy wont know if he does not try will he !!!
I agree with TR.

When my son and I visited schools, not a single coach discouraged him from majoring in Archtecture. Not a single archtecture advisor discouraged him from playing baseball.

Several of the coaches had current players, who were also Architecture majors take us for a tour of the campus. Each of them said it was hard work, but they wouldn't give it up for anything.

My son finally decided on a double major in Mech Engr & Business, because he was more techincal oriented and less artsey.

It can be done and is being done at many schools across the country right now. Is it easy, no, but it is doable
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pirate Fan:
Civil Engineering is not Architecture.

QUOTE]
Pirate Fan

You are right...Architecture is not Civil Engineering...do not even try to bring Architecture up to the level of difficulty as Civil Engineering...especially Structural. After 30 years of both...don't even. Mad At least you are a Pirate fan.

Very, very, very hard to do....but doable. Depends on the kid.
I agree. I would say that civil and/or structural engineering is more difficult than architecture. But architecture is more demanding.
Engineering however has a difinitive answer. Once that answer is acheived the problem is resolved.
However, in architecture getting to the answer is the challenge, and it subjective thus the anwerer is ever-changing (Check Fielder Builders post).
Therefore once you have solved the engineering assignement it is completed. Once you finish your architectural project it only complete when the professor decides it is complete. I have know architectural professors to smash project and make students start over. Thus your 20 or so hours on desgining and building a project are for not and you have to start over.

Time is the biggest drawback in trying to do Architecture and baseball. Not difficulty.

That is why I and Field Builder agree Architecture and baseball is not a good mix.

Anything is doable. Reality- something will have to give.
Although I am neither a player or architect, I am a parent of both.

Both son's attend a major D-1 SEC school with one being a Freshman baseball player and one being a 3rd year architecture student. Knowing first hand the time invloved for both I honestly see no way that you could be sucessfull.

Although I would assume that there are many differences in programs around the country the simple lack of sleep that an arcitecture student must indure, due to the work load, would not allow them to come close to giving their best effort on the baseball field in my opinion.

Pirate Fan makes many good points in his last statement. I can not tell you the number of times that projects have to be re-worked or simply scrapped due to the instructors changing something they want completed. Bottom line is there is very little free time and the projects, lab's and classes that are required simply do not work around baseball.

If you fall behind in architecture there is virtually no way to catch up. With the amount of time that is both officially and un-offically required for baseball (and this doesn't even include traveling during the spring)I would not recomend this.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.