Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, I agree. a few years ago our American Team [Area Code All Stars] player the Japan National HS team. Tanaka was pitching for Japan. Matt Harvey pitching for our American team. Dave Laroche former NY Yankee pitcher was our coach. Game was played at Cooperstown Hall of Fame Field. Games were filmed on Japan TV to 40 million people.

Our catcher's father was calling pitches behind the backstop screen when his son was at bat. The boy later had a "cup of coffee" with the A's.

Of course, I told the father that the Japanese Coaches can understand English and his son would be "cross up".

"True Story"

Bob

You have to be invited to try out by a scout.

Not sure on Catchers, but when my 2021 RHP tried out summer 2019, they didn't care about command or control and ONLY VELO. Even if you missed the catcher and hit the net, if it was above 90mph, they kept, every single one.  Strikes and pitching package didn't matter. Made for an interesting underclass game.

Hence we didn't waste our time this year. Additionally, it's still too early in the "pitching season" as well. Was going to be in June and tryouts pushed to 7/20 in Texas, but my son was only at 16 IP post quarantine, so still ramping for the season. He pitches around 50-60 innings in HS. By late July we'd be in the 75-90 range and by now with how deep his team goes in Summer Tourneys and a lot of them. 

Get with a local scout for next year. Not sure what is required to get the nod as a catcher.

My son had to throw 89, on video or at PG event, in order to get invited. 

@Eokerholm posted:

You have to be invited to try out by a scout.

Not sure on Catchers, but when my 2021 RHP tried out summer 2019, they didn't care about command or control and ONLY VELO. Even if you missed the catcher and hit the net, if it was above 90mph, they kept, every single one.  Strikes and pitching package didn't matter. Made for an interesting underclass game.

Hence we didn't waste our time this year. Additionally, it's still too early in the "pitching season" as well. Was going to be in June and tryouts pushed to 7/20 in Texas, but my son was only at 16 IP post quarantine, so still ramping for the season. He pitches around 50-60 innings in HS. By late July we'd be in the 75-90 range and by now with how deep his team goes in Summer Tourneys and a lot of them. 

Get with a local scout for next year. Not sure what is required to get the nod as a catcher.

My son had to throw 89, on video or at PG event, in order to get invited. 

Different AC teams are run by different MLB scouts.  MLB teams can have different philosophies on what they look for and for the kids they choose. And area scouts are very tied into their area, they already know the kids that are going to get an invite to the tryouts.  They have been following the ones they want to see since 13 years old. The only surprises are who grew and who didn't, who developed and who didn't.

But best to be big, strong, fast and throw hard.

The teams are pretty much picked beforehand and the tryouts are more of a formality. 

Still in my opinion the best single event out there given all the schools there, on top of it being free. I don't recall ever having a conversation with a scout, and I know plenty of kids who were invited who would not have been on a single pro scouts radar. A lot of it has to do with travel teams and how connected your coach is. If he can pick up a phone and say these three guys need an invite, you're good.

@PABaseball posted:

The teams are pretty much picked beforehand and the tryouts are more of a formality. 

Still in my opinion the best single event out there given all the schools there, on top of it being free. I don't recall ever having a conversation with a scout, and I know plenty of kids who were invited who would not have been on a single pro scouts radar. A lot of it has to do with travel teams and how connected your coach is. If he can pick up a phone and say these three guys need an invite, you're good.

Agree with this! And heck, you don't even need to try out. I know of two players who made the team that didn't go to any of the tryouts. 

^^ I don't think that's true.  Last year my son was invited to the tryout.  They told him when we got there that he didn't need to throw in the tryout part, he was automatically in the scrimmage.  He had made the scrimmage the year before and had been throwing over 90 then.  He had said his body was sore that morning so he had done STEM several times. He was terrible in the scrimmage.  Only threw 90 and didn't have his stuff at all.  That night he had a 104 fever and the next morning he was diagnosed with mono.  He did not make the team.  I am certain he was slated to make the team before the scrimmage, so they don't just throw kids in if they don't show up with the tools.

@baseballhs posted:

^^ I don't think that's true.  Last year my son was invited to the tryout.  They told him when we got there that he didn't need to throw in the tryout part, he was automatically in the scrimmage.  He had made the scrimmage the year before and had been throwing over 90 then.  He had said his body was sore that morning so he had done STEM several times. He was terrible in the scrimmage.  Only threw 90 and didn't have his stuff at all.  That night he had a 104 fever and the next morning he was diagnosed with mono.  He did not make the team.  I am certain he was slated to make the team before the scrimmage, so they don't just throw kids in if they don't show up with the tools.

During the showcase portion I watched a kid boot every ground ball with the exception of 2 (one of which he threw away). I then watched him pop every ball up into the turtle during BP. He was committed to a P5 program and he made the team. I'm sure the kid is a good player, but not that day. A teammate of ours didn't go to the tryouts, but made the team as well. It works both ways. 

I've been to three of those tryouts. I can confidently say that the team is not put together based on how well you performed that day. It's possible your son was a guy they were looking at, but he may have been one of ten guys competing for the last spot or two. 

@Mac dad I highly recommend heaters right down the middle of the plate. Leave 'em high if he's pitching against a big lefty. 

Signed,

Parent of a position player also attending AC games

OK, all joking aside, IMHO the best thing for your son to do is play within his game and his strengths. If heat is his thing, he should make sure he showcases his velocity with some consistency over the innings he pitches. If placement and a good mix of pitches (or arm slots or whatever it is) are his bread and butter than that should be his focus. If he has an opportunity to show off some heat he absolutely should but not at the expense of the rest of his game. 

Just tell him to enjoy the experience. Also, don’t waste space packing anything. They give them tons of great stuff, so he really only needs his glove. My son went last year and it was his all time favorite event that he’s ever done. I would think this year would be a little less stressful without all of the college coaches packing the stands with their radar guns 🤪. Unfortunately, son broke a bone & had to decline the invitation this year, so hopefully he’ll get the chance again next year. Best of luck to your son & hope he has a lights out performance!80A5058D-F80A-4D74-B4C6-B45415F558F6

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 80A5058D-F80A-4D74-B4C6-B45415F558F6

My son was in Underclass in 2018.  Did not make in 2019.  Irony is his tryout in 2018 was average and he didnt have a great high school season, but in 2019 had a great high school season and great tryout but didnt make it.  AC is the best in my opinion.  So far it's been the best experience of his career, bar none.  He was on the same team as the Cubs 1st rd pick this year, Ed Howard.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.