Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First of all, congrats on the ranking!

I think it depends on what part of the country you are in.  In the part of the Midwest I'm in (Wisconsin/Illinois area), there are a small number of Travel Programs that feed into Area Codes.  There are exceptions but a vast majority of the Area Code invites come through the top travel programs.

What grad class are you in? I believe that you live in the area I live in based on your profile. A couple of 2019's from my son's travel team made the Underclass Area Code team (Northeast) this year. That honor puts them in a good spot for selection to next year's Area Code team.  Depending on what travel team you play for a coach can recommend you for a tryout. 

I don't know what it is honestly.  My son was listed as the #3 3B in our state and #26 nationally last year (freshman) and did not get invited to tryout.  We requested an invitation as well.  This year he changed his primary position to pitcher and his ranked dropped to 7th in the state but got an invite to tryout this year.  I have no idea what prompted it.  

The professional scouts who choose these teams give very little consideration to Perfect Game and other rating websites/agencies.  In fact, I've often heard them criticize how they rank players and what criteria they use.  For most of these scouts, it's the eyeball test and speaking with high school/summer travel programs.  My son played on East Coast Pro for two years and Area Code for one.  In most cases, the scouts have a pretty good idea who is making up a chunk of the team before tryouts occur but they do hold very organized tryout events because they are also scouting for draft reasons.  Having a reputable summer coach helps matters quite a bit.

Agree with BBDAD51.  in addition, for our area team- the Royals for ECP, Everyone at the tryout was at least a rising junior, and it was a pretty big deal to get invited to the tryout as a rising junior, there were no freshmen or sophomores in attendance.    and all but one or two pitchers that made the team were rising seniors. 

When my son went through, there was no underclass ECP or AC team for this area, at least not one I was aware of.    If you are talking about the actual ECP/Area Code, they are made up of almost all upper classmen. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.