Skip to main content

Last week my 2020 played in the AC Underclass games in Compton, CA.  This is a first class event all the way.  First, they give each player a huge equipment bag full of equipment.  At least 3 shirts, couple pairs of shorts, socks, uniform top, pants...a cup (of all things), NB pair of metal spikes, NB turf shoes and NB tennis shoes (all top notch, looked to be the latest style). There was other stuff in there, cant remember all of it..we went and had practice, then to Blair Field to get the gear, they fed us barbeque and we watched the older AC teams play..

Next day we had 2 games. (5 games total in the 3 days) The competition is as you'd expect..top notch pitchers (many in the 90's) and the hitters were using wood bats making the field look like a tball field.  The field is in Compton, CA...beautiful MLB Youth development field...immaculate....not much shade, but no biggie there.  Scouts and college coaches everywhere.  One interesting story....we were playing late one night and we could hear gun shots way in the distance...then...sounded like a block away, 2 loud gun shots...a little unnerving but we've all seen the movies about Compton...maybe the only negative.  That same night everyone was gone but one worker and us as we were waiting for our Uber.  My uber driver got lost and then cancelled...my phone flashed on 5% and had no one on the way.  Miraculously I was able to request another Uber driver picked us up a few minutes later...that coulda ended bad...:-)

My son struggled offensively but caught well (scout told him he had his in game POP at 1.9 )...here's a brief story I'll tell not to boast, but maybe can help one of your players.  Before we got there I told him, when hes not catching make sure he warms up the pitcher between innings if needed, or go to the bullpen and catch pitchers warming up...sounds trivial right?  So we're in the hotel on day #3 and our coach comes up to us (is also a mlb scout) and raves on my son for doing this...said in last 4 years at the underclass and the regular AC games he's seen such a feeling of entitlement nobody does that without being told.  He told him he was going to give him a wood bat for doing so (he gave him 3 wood bats)...they raved about it even when we were saying goodbye....one of the coaches even said "see you next year" after raving for a few minutes about the good attitude and hustle...point is, something so small was such a big deal to them...

Anyways, even after struggling offensively so much, and only having some interest from local JUCOs, a P5 coach has been talking to son...no offers or promises just preliminary, basic talk...im keeping my fingers crossed...thx for listening...it was a great, eye opening experience...using it as a measuring stick as to where he is now and how far he needs to go...best of luck to all your boys out there, I hope they get an opportunity like this at some point in their career.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My biggest regret of the year, as we ignored our invite (not Underclass), not knowing what it was.  Though I keep trying to make myself feel better by pointing out that tryouts occurred during the day while my son was taking finals (expect one weekend day a few hours away, while he was studying).

Oh well, maybe I'll adopt a boy so we can have a 2nd shot at it...

So awesome!  My 2022's aspire for that.  It helps we live in Long Beach and watch the AC games every year.  We were bummed to find out that this year it was closed to the public.  We used to go to the HR Derby night, not knowing any player, each pick one out based on whatever, jersey color, height, style, whatever, then cheer for them no matter what.  It was actually a lot of fun.  LOL, thanks for sharing!  We home to be at underclass in a couple of years!

edcoach posted:

Yes .Pro scouts .

Almost forgot. Jayson Werth was first base coach of one of the teams .He was around mingling .Heard him in a deep conversation ripping exit velo and launch angle....crediting it to marketers and other stuff .Said either you hit the ball hard or you don't . Thought that was pretty cool

Ha!  Read the Baseball is full of Nerds thread, curtesy of Mr. Werth.  

Congratulations to your son. I’ve heard it is great.  I wanted to reiterate what you said.  We were in San Diego for the UC All American and sat first row at the All American games next to the GForm CEO.  He commented numerous times about one catcher.  He said he really liked him because he was the only kid who stayed and cleaned up the dugout the day before.  Those things get noticed.

Last edited by baseballhs

Congrats to your son, sounds like he had a remarkable experience.  The field you mentioned in Compton is called Urban Youth Field, which my son has played there many times.  Nice field, nice facility, but yes, neighborhood can get pretty scary at night.  Your son has picked up many desirable attributes besides playing that may give him an edge during the scouting/recruitment period.  I have always told my son conduct yourself between innings, prior and after the game as if someone is always watching.  I had a conversation with the pro scout who recommended my son to his director.  He told me a few times he sat in the multi-level parking structure beyond right field, tripod set up, and a pair of binoculars.  On every player the team is interested in he watches how the player conducts himself between innings in the dugout. A player may have the athletic gifts but teams are also interested in how they get along with others, how they act when not in the spotlight.  Last thing they want is a distraction or a negative influence in the clubhouse.  So all prospects should keep in mind, you never know who is watching! 

Last edited by Trust In Him

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.