Skip to main content

For the umpires, how much guff will you put up with when a coach questions ball/strike calls?

And for the coaches: do you ever intentionally get yourself thrown out of a game to make a point and/or to show your players you are standing up for them?

I ask this because I saw something a couple weeks ago in my son's HS game that I had never seen before: BOTH 3rd base coaches got tossed for arguing balls and strikes!

I am pretty sure I have never even seen ONE coach get tossed for that in my 5 or 6 years of watching HS varsity games. Coaches know they aren't supposed to question this, and so in my experience watching, when they do chirp about balls/strikes it is usually a comment here or there.

But this game a few weeks ago, the ump was a disaster. Armpit level strikes. Way off the plate strieks. High outside curve balls, barely breaking in - strike. Son got rung up on that pitch, on a full count with 2 out and bases loaded in a 2 run ballgame.

The next inning, when the bad calls continued, our coach had had enough. He came stomping down the line, complaining loudly. It was obvious to most everyone that he was intending to get tossed. In fact, when he got to the dugout, my son gave him a fist-bump.

The next inning, the same thing happened to the other team's third base coach. Although he didn't argue nearly as loud, still got tossed for arguing balls and strikes.

Never seen both coaches get tossed for arguing B/S!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have never had a coach toss himself arguing balls and strikes. In fact, I can't remember ever tossing a head coach during school ball. I've had a few assistant coaches who either were unaware or didn't care that they had no privilege or obligation to share their thoughts with me get the opportunity to warm up the bus early. But head coaches normally know when to quit.
Like Jimmy, I cant say as if I have ever tossed a HS coach for arguing balls and strikes... pretty much every coach at the HS level knows that this is not acceptable and is an ejectable offense....

Im not saying that I dont get the occasional chirp or comment that is not crossing the line a bit....but nothing I cant handle...Again like Jimmy most coaches know where the line is..... and I have missed pitches and the occasional "not a pitch to hit anyway jimmy" doesnt get to me ....If it crosses the line, I stop it...
As I said, it was obvious our coach intended to get himself tossed. He wasn't going ballistic or anything, just complaining aggressively that there is no way those pitches were strikes, and was not backing down til he got tossed.

So my real question is I guess one for coaches more than umps - do you ever get yourself tossed in order to fire up your players, stand up for them, etc.?

A somewhat similar situation happened last fall in football. My son, a nose tackle, was getting chop blocked on play after play. A chop block is totally illegal because it is dangerous. When engaging the offensive lineman, another lineman takes his legs out.

Our coach (the most repsected coach in HS football in Oregon) complained every time it happened. Finally, about the fifth straight time one drive, he went onto the field and directly confronted the ref. He got the unsportsmanlike call .... but the chop blocking magically stopped.

I called him the next day to thank him. He was standing up for my son, and literally protecting my son's health.

While the situation in my son's baseball game was different because there was no injury risk because of the bad B/S calls, it did feel to me somewhat the same, as if the coach was taking a stand for his players.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kremer:
A chop block is totally illegal because it is dangerous. When engaging the offensive lineman, another lineman takes his legs out.

While you may very well know what constitutues a chop block, what you described is not necessarily a chop block. There are other considerations.

That is what makes this frustrating for officials. Most coaches do not know the complete rule regarding chop blocks. I hear "That a CHOP BLOCK" from some coaches whenever there is a low block, and from others whenever there are two lineman and a low block.
We had a situation in a game last week that involved balls and strikes which has irked me more and more as I continue to think about it.

We had a hitter rung up on a called strike three. The pitch was so low and outside that the catcher had gone down to block the pitch. I didn't argue because what good is that going to do, but it was a horrible call.

After the inning, the plate ump comes over to me and says if so and so wants to stay in the game, he needs to be quiet. He goes on to tell me that after the call the kid said to the ump "Are you kidding me?"

Now, I understand you can't argue balls and strikes, and no matter how bad you think a call is, it's not arguable. However, the more I think about it, the more it P's me off that an ump would not only make such a terrible call, but he would react in such a way to a fairly innocent comment. Maybe from an ump's perspective it's not as innocent. I would have to think most umps realize when they blow a call, as was the case here, but this guy obviously didn't or I think he would have let the comment go.
Last edited by Emanski's Heroes
Normally Balls and Strikes dont' really concern me that much. Most Umps are consistent. Either the zone is High, Low, he's either giving corners or not, or worse case, it's armpit to ankles. I don't let my guys use the Ump as an excuse. I tell 'em to look for THEIR pitch until 2 strikes, then adjust to what the Umpire is calling.

I did however get tossed last year at a Sunday Travel Doubleheader. Ump in question is LEGALLY BLIND (I'm NOT joking). He has since been assigned to only 8u and 9U stuff..and few of those.

So anyway, we're losing the 2nd game of the day. Like 7-1 or something. So one of my guys hits a double. The next guy hits a shot to the OF. The runner from 2nd base comes in to score. The throw is on time, but the catcher is a bit too far up the 3rd base line, and my runner back doors him, slides around the tag, rolls over and hits home plate.

NOW PAY ATTENTION to the EXACT ORDER of what happened....and I'm NOT exaggerating here..

1. Kid slides around tag.
2. Catcher KNOWS he missed him, throws ball back to pitcher.
3. Opposing Coach yells "No problem, it's only 1 run, you're fine."
4. Pitcher gets ready to toe the rubber.
5. "Ump" yells "OUT!!!"

Half of the sunflower seeds in my mouth fell out I'm sure. I'm on the 3rd base, and the opposing coach is in the dugout near me...I hear him say "HUH?"

The CATCHER looks at the UMP and says (Loud enough for myself, and other coaches, parents to HEAR)

"I never tagged him...."

Ump repeats "OUT".

It's the 3rd out. The Opposing team is STILL in their position wondering what is going on.

I approach the Umpire...(still haven't said a word).

This is our exchange

ME: "Blue..can I talk to you for a second."

BLIND MAN: "Back to your dugout Coach."

(Note I approached from 3rrd base, NOT my dugout)

ME: "We can't dicuss that play?"

BLIND MAN: "I'm NOT going to ARGUE WITH YOU!!! Get off MY FIELD before I eject you."

ME: "Really?"

BLIND MAN: "YES!!!"

I start walking TOWARD MY DUGOUT. I have to GO PAST THE UMP to get there.

BLIND MAN: "I SAID GET BACK TO YOUR DUGOUT COACH!!"

ME: "I'm trying. It's over there" (Me pointing)

BLIND MAN: "That's it....you're pushing me."

So I continued to walk to my dugout..as I pass him he mutters

"That's what I thought!!!"

ME: (just loud enough for him to hear)

" you really need to open your eyes Magoo. You're missing a GOOD GAME"

He runs me. Then proceeds to tell me I'm BANNED from the rest of the USSSA League doubleheaders, and the playoffs, and i'm pretty sure he banned me from youth baseball for life somewhere in his tirade.

The League Director approached me (laughing) and said don't worry, I'll see you next Sunday.

At this point BOTH teams and parents and LAUGHING....I mean LAUGHING. I'm gathering my stuff up. The UMPIRE walks towards or dugout and tells the kids to "PIPE DOWN".

I politely tell Mr.Umpire that running me is fine. But if he steps in the dugout and continues to gesture like he is at 11 and 12 year old kids, I'm thinking that two of the Dads in the stands who happen to be members of law enforcement, probably wouldn't be too thrilled with him.

He stutters and walks away.

AS I'm walking to the truck, the opposing coach catches up to me and has this really odd look on his face. He then lets me know that he was trying to keep his mouth shut the entire game...because that Ump was who they were taking to Cooperstown.

I lost some more seeds.
Rob as a coach, yes we get tossed intentionally. Last year, down 8-1 no emotion flat as could be. We were 2-4 and had a really bad team the following game. We had a young team with little senior help and our best players were sophmores. The coaching staff began to chirp. This umpire would not toss
anyone however. it took until the 6th inning before running me. The classic flip a coin got him. That only got me grounded to the dugout. I had to say his name to officially get thrown. This guy took entirely too much. He absolutley did not want to throw me out. I told him a couple times what
I was tryuing to do. he did not want to believe me though. Probably the old if I have to watch this so do you.

I think most of the time I get tossed it is for this reason. In a normal setting, other than the occasional chirp we do not say much.
Last edited by Pastime Trnments
quote:
Originally posted by ctandc:
I did however get tossed last year at a Sunday Travel Doubleheader. Ump in question is LEGALLY BLIND (I'm NOT joking). He has since been assigned to only 8u and 9U stuff..and few of those.

Without insulting anyone....since I wear glasses as well.....I have known 2 umpires....one whose nickname is "One Eyed Mike" for obvious reasons... (He really only had one eye)....

And one other guy who when he took off his Coke bottle glasses,....he is really legally blind...but he was a good fair umpire....
quote:
That is what makes this frustrating for officials. Most coaches do not know the complete rule regarding chop blocks.

This is why most umpires, me included, prefer to use the "one legged double hop heave ho", when tossing coaches.. Coaches just don't understand "when I chop block you, that means "your gone".
I've never been tossed for balls and strikes. The main reason why I've been tossed in 16 years of high school coaching is a build up of wrong safe / out / not being in position / lack of rules knowledge stuff.

Overall I don't think getting tossed in high school ball is very effective. I have never seen my team or teams we're playing have dramatic comebacks because the coach got tossed. I don't see the point in not finishing that game and at least another game for sitting out to fire up my players.

That's not to say I haven't been tossed but I never went out there thinking "This will get my boys fired up".
quote:
While you may very well know what constitutues a chop block, what you described is not necessarily a chop block. There are other considerations.

Jimmy03: I'm no football expert, but I am pretty sure what I described is definitely a chop block no matter what:

Chop Block (Rule 2-3-3). The definition of the chop block has been simplified to assist in the understanding of this rule and to encourage more consistent officiating. A chop block is now defined as a high-low or low-high combination block by any two players against an opponent (other than the runner) anywhere on the field, with or without a delay between contacts. The “low” component is at the opponent’s thigh or below.
We were in Florida last week for spring break and had an umpire who was calling strikes after the catcher was bringing the pitch into the strike zone and holding it until he got the call. That's not even framing, it's little league and amateurish on the ump's part. All coaches were chirping and finally the loudest of us was threatened with the heave. He told the ump, "I'm not arguing balls and strikes, I'm questioning your ability to properly officiate the game of baseball at this level." Blue tried to laugh it off like the chucklehead he was. We were down 4-0 and playing against 10 instead of 9. We came back and won 5-4.

Two nights ago at home, we were facing a kid who drew 4 professional scouts. He didn't need help from the umpire but got it. He was calling them low and then not only got an attitude but tried to start some stuff when he thought he heard us complaining.

I never see coaches get tossed here. We usually calm down after a dugout warning.
quote:
quote:

Jimmy03: I'm no football expert, but I am pretty sure what I described is definitely a chop block no matter what:

Chop Block (Rule 2-3-3). The definition of the chop block has been simplified to assist in the understanding of this rule and to encourage more consistent officiating. A chop block is now defined as a high-low or low-high combination block by any two players against an opponent (other than the runner) anywhere on the field, with or without a delay between contacts. The “low” component is at the opponent’s thigh or below.

As I suggested in my post, I thought you probably knew what a chop block was. However, if you go back and read what you wrote: " When engaging the offensive lineman, another lineman takes his legs out." your definition, as that of most coaches is incomplete. No where did you indicate that this required a high/low or low high combination. Your original description would have included a low/low combination.

I don't mean to be nitpicking, but after dealing years of dealing with coaches who have incomplete knowledge of chop blocks, or none at all, I've become suspect when someone starts to talk about chop blocks.
quote:

Rob, was this a college game? I ask because you are quoting the NCAA rule.

In Federation, a chop block occurs only when there is a low block at or below the knee of a player that is already being engaged by another blocker. I have not seen the actual foul occur too often in games that I've done.

It is perfectly legal for two offensive linemen to block a defender high and low as long as it is at the same time, or if the there is a delay between blocks, the low block is the first block.

Now it is certainly possible what was happening to your son was illegal, I wasn't there and you were but that is how the rule is. I do find that it is often misunderstood, even by well respected coaches.

To bring this back to basebal, I've yet to toss any coaches for arguing balls or strikes.
Last edited by Welpe
quote:
For the umpires, how much guff will you put up with when a coach questions ball/strike calls?

Well my first ejection i might of been alitte quick. it was calripken minor and the pitcher couldn't find the strike zone. coachs start barking at me. saying knee high. I told him it was a judgement call and he needed to stop. twice and he has a warning in the book. He knows the rules.
quote:
Originally posted by BOF:
quote:
Originally posted by pioneers3:
I got tossed once by saying to the ump

"You know you are having a bad day when both benches are on you"

The minute you start a conversation with an umpire that starts with "you" in it you are in trouble.

The ump had a rough day, I should have not said anything, but I did and our bench had been warned about chirping already so...
quote:
quote:
quote:

The minute you start a conversation with an umpire that starts with "you" in it you are in trouble.

The ump had a rough day, I should have not said anything, but I did and our bench had been warned about chirping already so...

Correction: I SEE you got tossed..... Big Grin...sometimes its the last straw that breaks the camels back...
Last edited by piaa_ump
quote:
Originally posted by piaa_ump:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Correction: I SEE you got tossed..... Big Grin...sometimes its the last straw that breaks the camels back...

True enough. Other times, I'd be more than inclined to agree with the coach! "No kidding skip, it's been that kind of day."
When I fit started coaching there was a way to talk to umpires about balls and strikes. You did not yell or scream about a pitch. I would say in a calm voice to the umpire something like was that pitch a little up or in joe mike etc etc he would say yes he has to brin it in or down. Maybe you would get the next one. towards the end of my coaching tenure i remember asking the same to a young umpire who proceeded to rip his mask off and tell me I was going to be run if i said one more word. What happened?

I have coaches ask on the way by the plate, between innings, where is he missing. I have no problem asking a question like that. Anything yelled from the dugout is not acceptable. If he tries to carry a simple question into an argument then that isn't going to happen.
Last edited by Michael S. Taylor
Will:

Since I started doing this about 30 years ago, both coaches and umpires have changed. And that affects even those of us who try not to reflect that change.

Almost simultaneously, and perhaps not unconnected, the coaching and umpiring "business" saw a need for its practitioners to "improve" and become more "professional."

Coaches began to attend camps and clinics put on by professional and college coaches and players. Umpires began attending camps and clinics put on by professional and college umpires. Eventually, former professionals became directly involved in amatuer coaching and umpiring.

The "professional mindset" took hold. In some ways, that was good. Players were taught proper basics at a younger age and got better sooner. Umpires learned "real" mechanics wich provides for better calls and were encouraged to study the rules more.

In other ways, the professional mindset has not been as positive. Some things "professional" do not translate well to the amateur world. Indeed, thats one reason that we have both professional and amateur worlds.

Remember, baseball is not a game designed for children or even students.Tha's why the rules get changed for amateur ball.

Baseball is game whose rules and play are designed for grown men. It is agressive and, often, confrontational by tradition and practice. Those elements have also been transferred by those camps and clinics.

Amateur coaches now routinely and far more agressively ignore certain rules, including the one that prohbits leaving one's position to argue balls and strikess. Umpires now routinely respond more agressively in controlling that behavior. Both are now often displaying "minor league" attitudes towards the game, their jobs and each other.

And this is made worse by the fact that a five week school or week-end camp, does not "a professional make" for either coaches or umpires. They come home lacking the time in service that is so important in learning how to put what they've learned in practice.

I stared umpiring back in the late 70's. Camps and clinics were not heard of in my area, no one had yet gone to proschool and one became a college umpire by doing a decent job at high school ball and being in the right place at the right time when a need arose.

Soon, the majority of college umpires will be released minor league umpires.

Now, nearly every member of my association has attended a professional clinic or camp and the association itself has increased training, in the professional model, six fold over the last few years. (I have attended proschool, numerours college camps and now train in two association.)

Over half of the American Legion coaches and several of the high school coachdes in this area are former minor and major league players. The rest have attended camps or clinis put on by professionals.

Both the newer coaches and the newer umpires are displaying the inevitable results of being professionaly trained. They are acting like professionals in a non-professional arena.

All of this also affects coaches and umpires who have not had the professional experience. They see, they do. But they become perhaps the worst example of the trend because what they can see, what they copy, is that which is the most visible and loudest; which is, most often, the most negative. They don't see the study, the work, the dedication. That's all too quiet.

At least that's what I've seen.
Last edited by Jimmy03
What's with the highjack? The guy brought up football because of the relationship between the coaches and officials, not because he wanted to argue whether his son was actually getting chop blocked or not.

I was the assistant coach at a Christian school this year, our schools promoted sportsmanship probably more so than some of the schools I played for. I knew my place with relation to conversations with umpires. I asked one question about a possible balk which was not called. I was happy with the response of the umpire, it wouldn't have mattered what his response was. I knew that he knew that I was tuned in and vice versa. I will be Head Coach next year so...

I believe that getting ejected for a purpose helps the team. That's just my contention because my coaches have done it and it worked for us. And I'm perfectly willing to do it. But as the Coach of a Christian school, I'm not sure how the administration would like that. I wouldn't worry too much about the Christian example for the players...not in this post anyway. But balls and strikes? I respect the two coaches that got tossed for B/S. I guess that they didn't have a chance to argue other calls because the wide strike zone didn't allow many runners on.
quote:
I believe that getting ejected for a purpose helps the team. That's just my contention because my coaches have done it and it worked for us. And I'm perfectly willing to do it. But as the Coach of a Christian school, I'm not sure how the administration would like that. .

I guess I never understood that thought either as a player or an umpire......you will turn over your team to a (usually) lesser qualified assisitant, thereby leaving your team without guidance for the rest of the game and most probably the next game.......and under many individual HS's rules get some fine or sanction from your administration....

how does that help your team? Dont get me wrong, Im all for standing up for your guys...and as an umpire, I will give you your due....but light a fire under your guys in practice or the dugout....

if I suspect you are coming out to put on a show for your fans or players...you wont get the big arguement or the big heave ho.......you will get a quiet professional request to pack your stuff and go to the parking lot....leaving everyone wondering what YOU did to get ejected.....

Just my .02...
Last edited by piaa_ump
quote:
Originally posted by firstyrcoach:
What's with the highjack? The guy brought up football because of the relationship between the coaches and officials, not because he wanted to argue whether his son was actually getting chop blocked or not.

I happen to be a football official as well as a baseball umpire and I simply wanted to help him with a situation that he brought up. I saw the opportunity to help educate someone about the rules, that's all.
quote:
Will:

Since I started doing this about 30 years ago, both coaches and umpires have changed. And that affects even those of us who try not to reflect that change.

Almost simultaneously, and perhaps not unconnected, the coaching and umpiring "business" saw a need for its practitioners to "improve" and become more "professional."

Coaches began to attend camps and clinics put on by professional and college coaches and players. Umpires began attending camps and clinics put on by professional and college umpires. Eventually, former professionals became directly involved in amatuer coaching and umpiring.

The "professional mindset" took hold. In some ways, that was good. Players were taught proper basics at a younger age and got better sooner. Umpires learned "real" mechanics wich provides for better calls and were encouraged to study the rules more.

In other ways, the professional mindset has not been as positive. Some things "professional" do not translate well to the amateur world. Indeed, thats one reason that we have both professional and amateur worlds.

Remember, baseball is not a game designed for children or even students.Tha's why the rules get changed for amateur ball.

Baseball is game whose rules and play are designed for grown men. It is agressive and, often, confrontational by tradition and practice. Those elements have also been transferred by those camps and clinics.

Amateur coaches now routinely and far more agressively ignore certain rules, including the one that prohbits leaving one's position to argue balls and strikess. Umpires now routinely respond more agressively in controlling that behavior. Both are now often displaying "minor league" attitudes towards the game, their jobs and each other.

And this is made worse by the fact that a five week school or week-end camp, does not "a professional make" for either coaches or umpires. They come home lacking the time in service that is so important in learning how to put what they've learned in practice.

I stared umpiring back in the late 70's. Camps and clinics were not heard of in my area, no one had yet gone to proschool and one became a college umpire by doing a decent job at high school ball and being in the right place at the right time when a need arose.

Soon, the majority of college umpires will be released minor league umpires.

Now, nearly every member of my association has attended a professional clinic or camp and the association itself has increased training, in the professional model, six fold over the last few years. (I have attended proschool, numerours college camps and now train in two association.)

Over half of the American Legion coaches and several of the high school coachdes in this area are former minor and major league players. The rest have attended camps or clinis put on by professionals.

Both the newer coaches and the newer umpires are displaying the inevitable results of being professionaly trained. They are acting like professionals in a non-professional arena.

All of this also affects coaches and umpires who have not had the professional experience. They see, they do. But they become perhaps the worst example of the trend because what they can see, what they copy, is that which is the most visible and loudest; which is, most often, the most negative. They don't see the study, the work, the dedication. That's all too quiet.

At least that's what I've seen.

Jimmy03,
Excellent post. I started in the early 80s and have seen the same progression.
quote:
how does that help your team? Dont get me wrong, Im all for standing up for your guys...and as an umpire, I will give you your due....but light a fire under your guys in practice or the dugout....

if I suspect you are coming out to put on a show for your fans or players...you wont get the big arguement or the big heave ho.......

"Willing" may have been a poor word choice. "Prepared" to get ejected may work better. My guys will learn from day one to exhaust all options. Putting on a show would be self-absorbed IMO but to stand behind my guys is different (purely based on motive.) I don't want to get tossed, especially for the reasons you outlined. But I do think that when the umpires have the players that far removed from the game, something needs to be done. My goal is to be a proactive coach in all aspects. From strategy to people management.

I'm 25 and this is my first season. Early on a situation came up where I had to protect my players from an irrate citizen. It's a long story and has nothing to do with game officiation, but from that moment I had nothing but respect.

As I said, I'm 25 and I need DIRECTION. Thanks, piaa, for keeping things in perspective.
quote:
quote:

if I suspect you are coming out to put on a show for your fans or players...you wont get the big arguement or the big heave ho.......

"Willing" may have been a poor word choice. "Prepared" to get ejected may work better. My guys will learn from day one to exhaust all options. Putting on a show would be self-absorbed IMO but to stand behind my guys is different (purely based on motive.) I don't want to get tossed, especially for the reasons you outlined. But I do think that when the umpires have the players that far removed from the game, something needs to be done. My goal is to be a proactive coach in all aspects. From strategy to people management.

I'm 25 and this is my first season. Early on a situation came up where I had to protect my players from an irrate citizen. It's a long story and has nothing to do with game officiation, but from that moment I had nothing but respect.

As I said, I'm 25 and I need DIRECTION. Thanks, piaa, for keeping things in perspective.

As I stated please dont get me wrong on this , Im all for standing up for your guys...and as an umpire, I will give you your due....sounds like you are on the right track....

Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist.....congrats on your 1st year...
Thanks for the kind words and your offer. I'm sure I'll be asking all sorts of questions in the months leading up to and during the up coming season.

This should be for another thread but...

I wanted badly to become a rec league umpire over the summer. My job wouldn't allow that, but I'm not done trying to study this game any way I can. IMO umpiring is the best way to look inside this game. From seeing how coaches implement different strategies to watching how they act/react to their players, I can't think of a better way to learn what and what not to do. I'm fortunate to have a collegiate umpire on the boosters at the school. You may know him, but I won't say his name in public. Anyhow, he'll be a huge help, just as ya'll already are.

quote:

I happen to be a football official as well as a baseball umpire and I simply wanted to help him with a situation that he brought up. I saw the opportunity to help educate someone about the rules, that's all.

I hijacked this thread worse than Welpe...Sorry for calling you out Welpe and then doing the same thing myself.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.