Skip to main content

Hey Everyone....

Just wanted to see if anyone has gone through the tryouts for the Senior All Academic Game.  Son is a LHP Senior in So. Calif. Foothill League and was invited to the tryout this coming Thursday, so just wanted to know what to expect.  I've heard through coaches that the participants for the game itself are pretty well already determined, but that the tryouts are thing to be at since most all of the colleges are at the tryouts since there is nothing else going on Thursday.

Not hoping for a lot, but figured with his 4.35 GPA and being a LHP, that maybe there are some academic schools out there looking.  Thanks for any heads up.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This was 4 years ago, but I don't think it has changed much. Pitchers tryout in the bull pens with coaches watching.  There are around 8 mounds in a row that the coaches are watching. There will be a primary coach with a gun at each mound grading the pitchers. You basically have to be in the top 50% to be selected for the game based on the numbers. They are not pre-selected as kids are coming from all over the country and so are the coaches so I am not sure how they could do this. 

You should hope for a lot as it is one of the top high academic events in the country as nearly every coach at the Sr Classic will be there. Even high academic schools are looking for good ball players, GPA's and test scores get you looked at but the are looking for talented players. Have him relax and be himself, being a LHP is an advantage. Good luck!

Have them both relax and have fun. Just being on the tryout list will help them.

True story, my son was on one of the interior mounds trying out, and I asked him how it went and he said "well I don't know how hard I was throwing, but it got the interest of the two coaches on either side of me as I saw them sneaking a reading from me a couple of pitches. His scout coach got two telephone calls during the tryout inquiring about him. So they will be seen before the evening game.

Good luck to both, let us know how it goes!  

While my son did not make the academic game, he not only had several colleges call/text him telling him they do not understand how he did not make it, but one of the schools that saw him during the try-out called and offered him!

Originally Posted by AcademicsFirst:

Hey Everyone....

Just wanted to see if anyone has gone through the tryouts for the Senior All Academic Game.  Son is a LHP Senior in So. Calif. Foothill League and was invited to the tryout this coming Thursday, so just wanted to know what to expect.  I've heard through coaches that the participants for the game itself are pretty well already determined, but that the tryouts are thing to be at since most all of the colleges are at the tryouts since there is nothing else going on Thursday.

Not hoping for a lot, but figured with his 4.35 GPA and being a LHP, that maybe there are some academic schools out there looking.  Thanks for any heads up.

Originally Posted by Suds:
While my son did not make the academic game, he not only had several colleges call/text him telling him they do not understand how he did not make it, but one of the schools that saw him during the try-out called and offered him!

Originally Posted by AcademicsFirst:

Hey Everyone....

Great for you guys, sounds like it was well worth it. That's always good to hear. Hope my son has a similar story after next weeks Junior Academic tryouts.

This is an old thread but I thought I might resurrect it for a minute and see if anyone has had experience with this event in the last few years. My 2019 is not currently on a team that will be playing in the Classic but I'm considering taking him for the Senior All-Academic tryout. He's a catcher and, in communication with the event organizer, they said there are typically around 35 that show up at this position and they take 6 or so for the game. Now I don't know if he'd be one of these but I'm told - and also see in this thread - that just participating in the tryout can be productive. I may try to get him on a team that needs a catcher, if I can find one, so that the trip is more bang for the buck but if anyone has any experience with this event to pass along it would be much appreciated.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.