Skip to main content

Is the Arizona Senior Fall Classic a good event for a not yet committed 2015 to attend?  I've heard it said that the Junior Fall Classic is very cost effective investment for younger guys, but that for uncommitted 2015 maybe not -- as a lot of spaces for 2015's are filling up fast and will probably be mostly filled by October.     Kid has a chance to attend.   Will also be attending some school specific prospect camps over next few weeks, with a couple of schools who still seem possibly interested   -- hopefully something will come of that, but who knows?  (He's had an up and down summer, played extremely well at times, but had his worst days of the summer in front of two schools with whom we had been in regular contact).  Anyway, we have to  decide whether to commit to the Senior Fall Classic soon.  Good investment for a 2015?  

Last edited by SluggerDad
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This was the single best event my son attended, but this was four years ago. If he is high academic sign up for the "Academic Game" that was the single best game my son ever played in as far a visibility. If you go don't just assume a school will just see a player, you have to be communicating with them that he will be there and his schedule. Typically over 200 programs are there so there certainly are opportunities to be seen, but without prior communication it is a crap shoot. Good Luck.

Originally Posted by BOF:

This was the single best event my son attended, but this was four years ago. If he is high academic sign up for the "Academic Game" that was the single best game my son ever played in as far a visibility. If you go don't just assume a school will just see a player, you have to be communicating with them that he will be there and his schedule. Typically over 200 programs are there so there certainly are opportunities to be seen, but without prior communication it is a crap shoot. Good Luck.

Did he go as a rising, not yet committed senior?  Did an offer come out of it?

This was 4 years ago and he went as a uncommitted Senior. It is in the fall so kids are in school at the time so you are either a Jr or Sr when both of these events take place (Jr and Sr Classics). I will say that this event came at the end of the heavy recruiting season, particularly in SoCal with the Scout leagues wrapping up. (in fact he went with his Scout team) So in fairness he was being followed and was having discussions with a number of programs before he went, so in some ways he "sealed the deal" (or not) with these programs there, but there were a number of programs that he received verbal offers from that saw him for the first time there. I do know that his scout coach immediately received a number of phone calls during the Academic game tryouts.  

He in fact did receive offers, and official visits opportunities because of the event, but he actually did not commit until May 1st of his Sr year, in part because he got Mono and some programs wanted to see him play more before offering a position. 

He ended up playing for a very competitive D3 program for academic reasons. (and others) 

I personally think this is one of the better events because of the concentration of programs and they are serious about finalizing their NLI's that come out in November.

Last edited by BOF
Originally Posted by SluggerDad:

Is the Arizona Senior Fall Classic a good event for a not yet committed 2015 to attend?  I've heard it said that the Junior Fall Classic is very cost effective investment for younger guys, but that for uncommitted 2015 maybe not -- as a lot of spaces for 2015's are filling up fast and will probably be mostly filled by October.     Kid has a chance to attend.   Will also be attending some school specific prospect camps over next few weeks, with a couple of schools who still seem possibly interested   -- hopefully something will come of that, but who knows?  (He's had an up and down summer, played extremely well at times, but had his worst days of the summer in front of two schools with whom we had been in regular contact).  Anyway, we have to  decide whether to commit to the Senior Fall Classic soon.  Good investment for a 2015?  

My son did receive an offer(s) from this event (3).  He did have prior communication with the schools, but they had said they'd see him at the Sr. Classic.  This was the first time one of the schools had seen him in person and not just from videos, etc. 

yes, for some reason the people at this showcase like to schedule this event during the same time as the PSAT for Junior Classic and SAT for Senior Classic.  They did the same thing last year too.  It is almost like they look for the 2 most important academic dates for a junior and a senior and schedule the tournament  the same weekend.  Maybe they are trying to weed out the smart kids  lol

Originally Posted by standballdad:

I was thinking of just having my son tryout and attend the Academic game. PSAT's are the same weekend so Junior Fall Classic does not fit his schedule.

SluggerDad,

I met BOF and his son at the Arizona Senior Fall Classic in 2010.  I have to agree that it was one of the best events that my son attended as well.  Prior to the AZ Fall Classic, 247-son was in contact with several schools, but had only received one offer from a school my son wasn't excited about. When the event concluded, he received numerous phone calls, texts, and emails.  He committed ten days later and signed his National LOI during the early signing period.  So, if your son has the talent it's definitely worth your time & money for the exposure.  Best of luck with everything.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.