Skip to main content

just a quick question. I've heard it said, if you can throw 93 from the outfield for example, then you have arm speed. Lets say an OF/P is throwing 93 from the outfield is it true they will eventually be able to throw 93 from the mound as they mature and gain strength? Does it mean their arm has that capability? Any thoughts on it?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm not sure it is going to be a direct correlation as I believe Jarred Cosart of the Astros was the first guy to ever throw over 100mph (101 actually) from the outfield at a Perfect Game showcase several years ago and although he is a prime pitching prospect I think he tops out in the 95-96 range now from the mound. Perhaps PGStaff can correct me if my memory is wrong about this particular case.
After spending a lot of years working with my son and being around a lot of pitchers I am of the opinion that arm speed is one of God's gifts. Some have and some don't. If you have it from the OF - then you will have it from the mound. (with some mechanics help) When my son was 16 he went to a PG event and was clocked at the same velocity on the mound as from the OF. (He is a two way OF/P) I don't really know the OF/Pitcher ratio, on one hand a crow hop will give you a boost, but throwing downhill from with a push off should also help. Bottom line if someone is throwing 93+ from the OF then that arm has a lot more value to a team on the mound than throwing out 2-6 runners. (per SEASON)
quote:
BOF said....After spending a lot of years working with my son and being around a lot of pitchers I am of the opinion that arm speed is one of God's gifts. Some have and some don't. If you have it from the OF - then you will have it from the mound. (with some mechanics help)

I agree. Furthermore, I think if Hunter10's son has thrown 93 from the outfield he has the raw tools to throw 93 from the mound, BUT (big but) throwing is not pitching. Pitching mechanics don't have a small role in this, pitching mechanics have a huge role in whether he will be able to do it and be effective. If it weren't the case, we'd see alot of catchers or Hunter Pence (I cringe when I watch that man throw) on the mound.
There are a few kids who throw the same velocity from OF or the mound. I think when that happens they have worked on pitching much more and they don't utilize as good of mechanics for the outfield throw.

Nearly everyone should throw with more velociuty from thye outfield. Even some very good pitchers. There are no pitching mechanics that can fully replace the momentum they get running in on a ball and crow hopping. The fast arm gets even faster with the body action involved in throwing from the outfield.

A fairly recent example would be Kaleb Cowart (1st round pick by the Angels a couple years ago. Kaleb was an infielder/pitcher and was drafted as a 3B. He threw easily 90+ across the infield and mid 90s on the mound. He decided to get into a contest we held and threw 100 mph from the outfield.

Obviously being on the run and crow hopping doesn't allow for as good of accuracy as a pitcher requires. But it sure puts you in a position to throw your hardest. Going back on a fly ball is a different story, or even standing still. Best velocity is from fielding the ball with momentum towards the throw and crow hopping with a long arm action. Pitchers just don't have that luxury.
Arm speed can be generated. The body is connected from head to toe. If you learn how to manipulate the hips and get them moving ahead of the upper body it forces:

1. The arm to redirect and change directions more quickly.

2. Creates momentum

3. Creates a rubber band effect between the hips/torso/shoulders/elbow

Think of it as peer pressure. The arm wants to hang out with the hips and if the hip decides he's going to "speed up", I promise you the arm won't be far behind.

Here are some drills that may help with your son. http://baseballthinktank.com/p...e-lower-body-is-hip/

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.