Skip to main content

Thanks to PGSTAFF and his crew, we shared an article this morning on their website about the options that MLB draftees may want to consider if they're unsure whether to sign as a pro or play college ball this year.  Here's the website for the article for those who are interested.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Art...w.aspx?article=12792

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The recent thread on 11.7 scholarships got me wondering if there is an alternative path for some kids.  What if a kid was un-drafted, or didn't like his draft position.  Could he work out on his own outside of any type of college and then be draft eligible?  (Not relevant to anyone I know, just wondering if the dissatisfaction with the current model could ultimately lead to an alternative.)

K9 posted:

The recent thread on 11.7 scholarships got me wondering if there is an alternative path for some kids.  What if a kid was un-drafted, or didn't like his draft position.  Could he work out on his own outside of any type of college and then be draft eligible?  (Not relevant to anyone I know, just wondering if the dissatisfaction with the current model could ultimately lead to an alternative.)

. . . Independent League baseball and Free Agency.

Rick at Informed Athlete posted:

Thanks to PGSTAFF and his crew, we shared an article this morning on their website about the options that MLB draftees may want to consider if they're unsure whether to sign as a pro or play college ball this year.  Here's the website for the article for those who are interested.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Art...w.aspx?article=12792

Aside from how one's passion plays a big roll in such this decision, "money" tends to be the biggest factor involved in the decision.  It often comes down to scholarship money vs. bonus money.   If no money is offered for college or going pro, then the perceived value of the college offer vs. the pro offer will be dominate.     I'd say in most cases, it's a combination of both the amount of money offered and value of what the college offers.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.