Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@PABaseball posted:

A quote from Walker Buehler in that article which reiterates a point that gets thrown on here

"At any affiliate, there are three players who have a chance to play in the majors. The rest of the players are there so they can play. I don’t think that’s fair," Buehler said. "You are preying on their dreams."

If Buehler doesn’t believe it’s fair what is his solution? Or, if he believes it’s unjustifiably unfair he should walk away from the game.

@RJM posted:

If Buehler doesn’t believe it’s fair what is his solution? Or, if he believes it’s unjustifiably unfair he should walk away from the game.

I don't know, the quote was more for me to point out there are only a handful of actual prospects in each system. The rest of the guys are fillers so the prospects can play games and get meaningful reps.

If a player wants to play for little to no play to fulfill a dream that is his business, but it doesn't appear to be a very rational decision.

@PABaseball posted:

I don't know, the quote was more for me to point out there are only a handful of actual prospects in each system. The rest of the guys are fillers so the prospects can play games and get meaningful reps.

If a player wants to play for little to no play to fulfill a dream that is his business, but it doesn't appear to be a very rational decision.

My son was in a five to play four scenario entering college injured. With his AP credits and online summer school he graduated in three years. His coach told him he was likely to be drafted in rounds 27-32. As a position player he knew it meant long shot,  roster filler. Had he been a pitcher it would have been more about the number on the gun. On the MLB questionnaires he wrote unless drafted in the top twenty rounds he was staying to play two more years and get his MBA. He wasn’t drafted. He received a high paying job offer out of college.

If a player’s goal is to be a teacher and a coach being minor league roster filler for a couple of years is more like a resume filling internship.

Have you recalled this slogan. "Double A, a heartbeat away".

Interesting question: What job did the players have in the "off season".

Several of the players mentioned played in the Area Code games and I remember our conversations. The defense position is a major factor in the player's time in the Minors.

My mother once said "son you can always work, but you cannot always play baseball".

Bob

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.