Skip to main content

Hi guys,

What would you guys say is the general opinion of AZ jucos today? I know they're still good, but the talent isn't NEARLY what it was up until about 4-5 years ago. I'm not seeing as many kids get drafted out of them, and I went to a few AZ juco games and there's still decent talent. I know Central is always legit, but what would you all say is the current opinion/talent pool of AZ junior colleges? Back 10 years ago, they were so good they could beat/compete with any D1 program... can't really say the same anymore IMO. I mean, I watched MCC play this year, and one of their pitchers wasn't even throwing 80 (he was right handed). And MCC won the D2 world series this year (they had guys that could hit though, and I know Coach Cirelli works his team out like the marines, haha).

So what are your thoughts? Are just the more talented players going draft/D1? Cause IMO I really like the juco option better than 4 year schools IF you're trying to play pro ball.

Last edited by FlyEmirates7
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Oh, and do AZ jucos still have 70+ guys come out in the fall every year? And if so, why do jucos do this? And do players knowingly sign with the school? Also, is every player that comes out in the fall signed players? Or do the jucos just let whoever that wants to come out, come out. I know Phoenix College had like 60 guys last year in the fall. Mesa as well.

I think if you're trying to play pro ball, and if you go to juco, you'll be eligible for the draft every year even your freshman year (however, most people that get drafted out of juco gets drafted in their sophomore year), but, it still can happen (Bryce Harper). If you decide to go to a four year school, you can't get drafted until after your junior year. So in my opinion, it's all about perspective. If you're trying to play pro ball, go to a good juco. Even if that doesn't work out, after your two years at the juco, you can still transfer to a four-year school and build your draft stock there. If you want a good education, and want that D1 "big man on campus" feeling, then go to a four year.

And that's one of the disadvantages of AZ. So many good baseball players here, and only 3 four-year schools that offer baseball. So of course every junior college here is going to be completely overcrowded come fall baseball. At least it's not like 10 years ago, where every pitcher could throw 90+ and teams had enough talent to be able to beat/compete with even the elite D1 teams. Not sure so much anymore, but back when ASU and UofA would over-recruit, they sent all the kids that didn't make those teams to jucos (Andre Ethier, being an example). I'm kinda glad they don't do that anymore and I would've hated to be a hitter back then. AZ jucos still has a handful of solid pitchers throwing 90+, but the quantity is definitely a lot lower.

Just my opinion.

A quick glance at the Yavapai roster shows about 5 90mph kids.  And that's not including the rumored Brady Aiken.

And CAC moved these kids along this year:

*Nicco Blank - University of Texas at Arlington
*Cody Farrell - University of Texas at Arlington
*Jared Koenig - Old Dominion University
*Manny Ramirez Jr. - University of San Francisco
*Spencer O'Neil - Cal St. Northridge
*Brock Dykxhoorn - UNLV
*David Petrino - Oklahoma State University
*Junior Zepeda - Missouri Baptist
 *Andris Rizquez- LC State
 *Carlos Rodriguez- University of Mount Olive
 *Conner O’Neil- Cal St. Northridge
 *Aaron Smith- University of Arizona

ASU is bringing in at least 8 more 2014's than there are roster spots available. 

I've already seen a handful of D1 dropbacks as well.

I think the ACCAC is doing just fine, there will always be ebbs and flow of talent.

Last edited by azcoyote

INMO there are only a few players from AZ CC's who end up at 4 year in state schools. I was presonally very glad to hear Aaron Smith was picked up by Arizona as I've known him and his family for a very long time. I look forward to seeing them next spring.

But bottom line, he's walking on and the CF from last year is rumored to be moving to the IF with the OF recruits coming in. This kid hit over .300 in the Cape this summer, so it won't be a slam dunk to get a starting spot. The fall flushes these things out... And everyone needs to compete for a spot.

Originally Posted by azcoyote:

A quick glance at the Yavapai roster shows about 5 90mph kids.  And that's not including the rumored Brady Aiken.

And CAC moved these kids along this year:

*Nicco Blank - University of Texas at Arlington
*Cody Farrell - University of Texas at Arlington
*Jared Koenig - Old Dominion University
*Manny Ramirez Jr. - University of San Francisco
*Spencer O'Neil - Cal St. Northridge
*Brock Dykxhoorn - UNLV
*David Petrino - Oklahoma State University
*Junior Zepeda - Missouri Baptist
 *Andris Rizquez- LC State
 *Carlos Rodriguez- University of Mount Olive
 *Conner O’Neil- Cal St. Northridge
 *Aaron Smith- University of Arizona

ASU is bringing in at least 8 more 2014's than there are roster spots available. 

I've already seen a handful of D1 dropbacks as well.

I think the ACCAC is doing just fine, there will always be ebbs and flow of talent.

ASU is probably dealing with their coaching change. They might have some verbals backing out since the coaching staff is changing. That is normal and as a result they may need to backfill with some CC players to plug the gap.

I'm an Arizona guy, but I like to see a very competitive balance between ASU and Arizona. It is really fun when both teams are matched.

If you are worried about 'too many dudes' on the roster in the fall, we call that competition. Bottom line, Arizona brings in ~45 guys every fall and cut down to ~33-35. I know ASU didn't do that under Esmay, but any other D1 coach will bring in 45 and have them compete for a spot.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.