Skip to main content

First off, is there a feature where one can search the forums? I can't seem to find that function anywhere and I have to think someone has asked this question already...but here it goes:

Besides the obvious academic standards a player has to meet in order to be eligible to play in one of the AZ Fall Classic All-Academic tryout and game (Must have at least a 3.7 GPA OR  an ACT score of 27 or higher OR SAT score of 1700 is the minimum for tests taken prior to Jan 2016. 1200 (new scoring system) is the minimum for tests taken after Jan 2016), does anyone know of any other criteria being used to screen players for the opportunity to try out at this event?

I know geography and time of year will keep some people away, but I have to think there are literally hundred of ballplayers trying to get into this event and they are only taking something like 100-150 for the tryouts? What am I missing here? Are they asking for copies of academic transcripts? HS or Travel coaches recommendations? Scouring PG website for past scouting reports?

Just curious.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Realist, on mobile devices the search function is located below your username once you click the menu icon. On desktop there's a search icon top right next to your avatar.

RE AZ Fall Classic.  This is a small family run business. I doubt the methodology is complicated. I'm guessing it's ACT + plus reputation of travel team.  As for the Junior event, as of 2015, I was told by the owners that they were not turning any players away.

JCG posted:

Realist, on mobile devices the search function is located below your username once you click the menu icon. On desktop there's a search icon top right next to your avatar.

RE AZ Fall Classic.  This is a small family run business. I doubt the methodology is complicated. I'm guessing it's ACT + plus reputation of travel team.  As for the Junior event, as of 2015, I was told by the owners that they were not turning any players away.

Thanks JCG...i am working on a system that I cannot upgrade the web browser on and I can't see the search icon. Appreciate the tips and info on AZFC.

So my 2017 applied to be a part of this year's Senior All Academic game.  His primary position is a catcher, but he also pitches a little bit now and then on his travel team.  Once he confirmed with his travel team that we were in for the Senior Classic games, he then signed up on the web page.  I want to say it was early July.  He listed Catcher but they have a question if you are willing to be a pitcher if not selected for your primary position.  He checked yes.

As the date neared for them to post the kids "invited" for the tryout, he got an e-mail from them saying Catcher was full and he was not being invited to tryout as catcher, but since he indicated pitcher as well, would he want to try out as pitcher?  They made it clear it was first come, first served on the responses.  So he replied immediately and then showed up on the invite list on the web page.  The funny thing is, 86 kids showed up as pitcher only, and he was actually chosen to be one of the 20 who pitched in the game (based on 15 pitches thrown in the bullpen tryout).  Although he was hoping to go as a catcher, spending an inning on the mound in the main stadium was really a neat experience for him, and another ten colleges or so reached out to him after the event.  So if your son can pitch even a little, be sure to add it.

I also do not know what the criteria for why some kids are chosen to tryout over the others.  My son did not make the GPA threshold, but was well above both the ACT and SAT minimums.  Maybe you have to hit all three to get an invite to your primary position?  I think all of the teams selectively invited to attend the Fall Classic are pretty solid travel teams, so I would be surprised if they were able to differentiate playing ability just based on what team you list.  There is no affiliation with PG, but perhaps they could do some research of players that way.  And with my son applying in July, he certainly would have been one of the earlier ones if they gave priority to that.  However they do it, I will say based on what I saw at tryouts and in the game, these high academic kids can also play baseball and the number of coaches (I would say at least 60+) who watched the tryouts and games shows it is really worthwhile to sign up for it.

It is my belief that neither the GPA or test scores are verified (only need 1 off the 2 to "qualify" anyway).

My 2018 participated in the Jr. Academic try-out's this year and his GPA was not verified (counselor @ school informed us she never received a call/email to verify), nor were we asked to submit his transcript. He has yet to take the SAT/ACT

Honor system perhaps?

2019Dad posted:

Does anyone know if the PSAT will suffice for the junior academic game -- in other words if the PSAT score was over 1200, is that good enough, or does the student have to have taken the SAT?

According to the College Board, if you take the PSAT your score had you taken the SAT on the same day would have been the same. So seems to me that a PSAT score would have the same validity.

SanDiegoRealist posted:
2019Dad posted:

Does anyone know if the PSAT will suffice for the junior academic game -- in other words if the PSAT score was over 1200, is that good enough, or does the student have to have taken the SAT?

According to the College Board, if you take the PSAT your score had you taken the SAT on the same day would have been the same. So seems to me that a PSAT score would have the same validity.

Yes, that is what the College Board states in the score report.

And if you took the PSAT/NMSQT as a sophomore, there is quite a bit of "projectability" (to borrow a baseball term) -- most kids do significantly better 18 or 24 months later, particularly if they prep for the test.

Edited to add: but I didn't know if some of these organizations are sticklers (like, "you haven't taken the SAT so it doesn't count") but from the posts above it doesn't sound like that is the case (no verification).

Last edited by 2019Dad

I guess it makes sense that they go on the honor system.  It should be self-policing.  When you fill in the All Academic game application, it asks for GPA and test scores.  Then all of the coaches who attend get the roster of the kids trying out with the GPA and test scores listed (from what was put on the application).    Let's say then that a kid does really well and a coach follows up with him afterword.  Just like the follow up after HeadFirst (also on the honor system), the coach is going to ask the kid to send him a copy of transcripts and the test scores.  If the kid lied and misrepresented his scores that wind up on the coaches roster sheets, he would be exposed when he has to send the real results to the coach.  Not only could be the kid be crossed off for not having the grades, but his integrity as well.

My son applied for the AZ Fall Junior Classic All Academic Tryout; we were told they accept most, if not all Juniors that apply, but it's helpful to include skills video, when in doubt, they will look at it. It's a family operation that has some true baseball guys involved. Given we were traveling for a one day event, my son was offering them as much material as he could to increase his chances of making the All Academic Team.  (I was told they did look at my son's video and he did make the team.  Son was able to get rostered on a team to play that weekend, but he bailed and took the Oct ACT instead)

We plan to do the same for next years AZ Fall Senior Classic All Academic to increase the chances of acceptance.  We're quietly hoping he'll have his recruiting locked up before then.

Very organized, well run event with quality fields, tons of hotels and dining right around the corner.  Pleased my son was able to attend, members on this site were very helpful.

I thought I would revive a thread like this instead of creating a new one or hijacking others.  IMHO this is one of the better showcase game for those who qualify.  As stated above there is a minimum GPA, SAT/ACT to even be considered.  My son participated in the Jr, made the team and did well in the game.  Basically breaks down as 1/2 day tryout by position (have maybe 15-20 balls, throws, bats) and the results are announced later that day.  Evening game follows.  What makes this different is it is only for non-committed players, who have good grades.  Scouts love these type since hopefully will have little academic trouble in college, and are available.  Also equally important is the possibility of finding academic money instead of using athletic money.  I estimate there must have been 200 plus  visible scouts in attendance (all seated behind home), some D1, mostly D2, D3, NAIA, etc.  Son did pretty good, after the game within 2 hours there were either phone messages or texts from maybe 15 schools, and after a month maybe another couple dozen.  The tryouts are pretty intense in that there were many players trying out for maybe 25-30 spots each team.  It did open the door though to many D2/D3 contacts.   Link below:

https://azfallclassic.com/junior-all-academic-game/

Last edited by Trust In Him

I would have to agree, this is one of the better showcases to participate in. My son went from 0 coach contacts to 12 to 15  within a week after the junior showcase game. This was our first showcase, as he didn't really have any skills that grabbed your attention his freshman and sophomore year. If your son has the grades and something to show, I would highly recommend it.

One caveat... pitching commands the most attention.

Great idea to revive this post now while the application period is open for both sessions.  I am not sure there is any preference given to the early applicants over the later ones, but better to get it in early to be on the list.  And remember there is no guarantee of even getting invited to tryout, but they refund the money if a kid is not selected.

Reading back over my posts above, I see they ended in 12/2016 before my 2017 knew his fate.  He was so fortunate to get the chance to pitch in the Senior Academic game, and he did well enough that he drew significant interest similar to what TIH's son experienced.  In the end, it was being seen at this game that was the deciding factor in his opportunity to attend a high academic D2 program and become a part of the team as a PO. 

His experience was for the Senior game (we did not know about the Junior game), and there is definitely the advantage of having the strong test scores already done versus the Juniors who may just be able to point to GPA.  But as TIH said, it cannot be understated that the kids who get a chance to play in these games have an edge because their strong academic credentials reduce admissions and ongoing survival risks for coaches.  I highly recommend pursuing the tryouts if your son meets the criteria.

AZ Fall Classic Academic All Star game is one of the most beneficial recruiting events a high academic recruit can attend . Yet, one of the most underrated or unknown events on the circuit.

IMO its a 'Must Do' event for kids looking to play at smart schools. Like Area Codes, Even the try-outs are Stacked. w/ RC's and HC's. Havard, Berkeley, Duke......They're ALL there.

StrainedOblique posted:

AZ Fall Classic Academic All Star game is one of the most beneficial recruiting events a high academic recruit can attend . Yet, one of the most underrated or unknown events on the circuit.

IMO its a 'Must Do' event for kids looking to play at smart schools. Like Area Codes, Even the try-outs are Stacked. w/ RC's and HC's. Havard, Berkeley, Duke......They're ALL there.

Agree, but I do think the opportunity was best for Pitchers and Catchers.  As a position player you really needed to have an exceptional day to get noticed.  

Any of your sons tried out in the morning but didn't make the team for the afternoon game? I'm trying to decide if this is going to be worth it. My son was invited to try out and we are planning to go out there but I am getting worried now as people question me what if my son doesn't make the team.. didn't think of this until we signed up and got the email back that he is invited. Would it be still worth it to just try out in front of those coaches? 

The ship is sailing away for the most sought after HA D3’s. The kids who were seeking Ivy are finding out it’s not likely to happen.  Plan B has gone Into effect.

I would think there may be a few of them still searching for a P, or to replace a last minute fallout at the time of the AZ Classic.  Otherwise the majority of other D3’s are still shopping.

I dealt w this last year w my 2018.

I thought the AZ Classic was one of the best run showcase/camps through the entire recruiting process for my two sons. 

cottoncandy posted:

Any of your sons tried out in the morning but didn't make the team for the afternoon game? I'm trying to decide if this is going to be worth it. My son was invited to try out and we are planning to go out there but I am getting worried now as people question me what if my son doesn't make the team.. didn't think of this until we signed up and got the email back that he is invited. Would it be still worth it to just try out in front of those coaches? 

YES. The try-out is similar to Area Code game try-outs. Stacked w/ Coaches watching.

AZ Academic Classic was definitely one of the best.  It might be a little late but if your son does not have a team for the weekend ask around.  Just be cautious though that this can be a financial decision for the teams (more players  mean more team funding, NOT necessarily more playing time).  If your son does extremely well and if a school wants him there will be a way to find some money.  Since you are already there might want to catch the AZ Fall League MLB Top Prospects games if you can't hook up with a team.

Trust In Him posted:

AZ Academic Classic was definitely one of the best.  It might be a little late but if your son does not have a team for the weekend ask around.  Just be cautious though that this can be a financial decision for the teams (more players  mean more team funding, NOT necessarily more playing time).  If your son does extremely well and if a school wants him there will be a way to find some money.  Since you are already there might want to catch the AZ Fall League MLB Top Prospects games if you can't hook up with a team.

I am a little confused. what do you mean by if he as a team for the weekend? I was not aware you need to go as a team. 

players report at Padres field and try out in the morning ..3pm it will be posted if the player gets picked...  if they get picked they get to play a game at 5pm..this year it is held on Oct 18 for the junior all academic try out and game..... I'm assuming there is just two teams formed so they can play a game.

Did I miss something? 

You asked if it was going to be worth it.  If it's the only thing you're doing, and it sounds like it is, you're asking a great question.  There will be scouts at the tryouts, so a kid will be seen whether they make the game or not, but most kids do NOT make the evening game.  It's incredibly competitive and if a kid does make it, practically every scout at the Classic will be there watching.  The tryout has a lot of stuff going on at once--some positions hitting, some running, some doing defensive drills-- so it's impossible for one scout to see it all.  If your son were going to play with a regular team through the weekend, I'd say the academic tryout is a no brainer.  I'm less likely to say that about just going for the academic game, though as you've read, people do the tryout by itself and find success.  If I remember correctly, fewer than 20% of the kids trying out make the game, but my memory could be off.  Anyone out there recall the rough numbers?

I think you're asking great questions about whether to go or not.  I just want you to have accurate information.

My experience stems from having two boys tryout for both jr and sr events.  Were both seen by several schools we contacted ahead of time during the tryout, but neither of the boys made the evening game.  And if speed is one of your kid's assets be prepared for the slowest 60 time your son has ever had.  They run it on a notoriously slow surface.

Good luck with your decision. If he makes the evening game it's the only event going on at the time.

Last edited by smokeminside
cottoncandy posted:
Trust In Him posted:

I am a little confused. what do you mean by if he as a team for the weekend? I was not aware you need to go as a team. 

players report at Padres field and try out in the morning ..3pm it will be posted if the player gets picked...  if they get picked they get to play a game at 5pm..this year it is held on Oct 18 for the junior all academic try out and game..... I'm assuming there is just two teams formed so they can play a game.

Did I miss something? 

PM

2020Hopeful posted:

The schedule for this year's AZ Junior Fall Classic is now posted.  FYI, it does look like this year there are other games going on during the Academic Game (and maybe for part of the Academic Tryouts--earliest game starts at 12:30) which from prior posts on here it seems is different than other years.

Appears so. That is different. 

Last edited by smokeminside

Apologies for the resurrection here:

Son (C) applied for a spot back in...March? Anyway, it sounds like the invites go out in Aug. Is that correct? 

We’re based in GA, so we are going to look for him to pick up with a team for the weekend so he can play irregardless. But I’m just trying to plan out our travel.

My son played in this over 5 years ago.  Good exposure, received many contacts from coaches.  Website says announcement will be made before Sept 15.  From what I remember it was right around the cut-off time for applications.  A few things to note.  Make hotel reservations asap since they fill up quickly (if not already) and get more expensive the closer to the date.  You can always cancel.  I want to say about 125 - 150 players tried out (last number on someone's back was close to 150 I think).  Infielders be prepared to take balls from shortstop position, moving laterally left, right, and forward.  Those who are predominately 3rd basemen and not used to moving laterally had some trouble (a few of son's friends).  1st basemen you stayed at the bag.  Outfielders tried out from center field.   Actual tryout was quick (maybe 6-8 balls, 10-15 balls pitched for hitting), timed running, etc.  The waiting around took a long time with so many players, even though in groups.  Those who made the team are posted a few hours after tryouts end, game later that evening. Position players played every other inning so maybe 3 or 4 total innings/player, pitchers pitched one inning.  As I said, a few years ago so maybe format changed.  If your son makes it and does well it will open up many contacts and inquiries.  Have fun and best of luck!

Single best HA event my son went to, (plus $0 incremental cost)  although it was in.....gulp...2010. His travel coach started getting calls while he was trying out in the bullpen for the game. Made the team, flood gates opened afterward. I am guessing it will be more important this year due to the COVID recruiting complications. Both Sr and Jr game. 

My son (2020 RHP) participated in 2018 and received his invite for Academic Game try-outs in early July if I remember correctly. This event ended up being one of the most important in his recruitment so if you get a chance to play and/or do the Academic Game try-out, I would highly recommend it. The try-outs are competitive. I was not at the Academic Game when my son played, but my husband said there were a 80-100 college coaches in attendance.  A top notch event.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.