Skip to main content

My 2019 C/OF is playing in the Fall Classic in October.  I've never attended, but I understand no scores are kept and there are 6 batters/inning.  Interested in thoughts from those that have had kids participate on a couple items

Question #1:  What is the strategy as a hitter?  Is situational hitting expected/valued?  Is getting walked just a missed opportunity show hitting skills or does it still show plate discipline to a coach?  I guess what I'm asking is should a hitter do anything they can to showcase their hitting skills (power, bat control, etc.) or should they try to have a quality at-bat (take a pitch, etc.)?

Question #2:  My son ran a 6.59 60 at a Baseball Factory tryout in the Spring.  Is there advantage to running again at the Fall Classic if the schools he is interested in (and there are only a handful) already have this info in hand?  Do coaches watch the players run or are the times just added to the player info provided to the coaches?  

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

And I thought my 2017's 6.95 60 was good for a catcher. Your son definitely has  exceptional speed and arm strength. Sounds like he has a bright future.

In response to your questions.

#1  in general, the coaches want to see the swing so a walk, unless the pitches are woeful (which can happen), at best is a wasted opportunity. Try to square one up and if that is the first pitch, go for it. If a breaking pitch, probably lay off unless it is a cement mixer. If your son has legitimate power, I'd say swing for the fences (within normal swing). If he's more of a line drive hitter, try to hit a line drive.

#2 If they will "take" that time, than why try to improve? If it is a nice field and he's feeling frisky and confident, running it again, even if time goes up a TAD, would still be very impressive. 

Last edited by Batty67

Agree with batty and real green. He's gonna start with a 1-1 count. If that pitcher can through a breaking ball or off speed for a strike and you take, it's now 1-2...advantage pitcher. Know thy enemy. If the kid pitching is throwing off speed and breaking balls for strikes, change your approach, don't expect to hunt fastballs. But be ready to recognize and jump on the FB if/when it comes. For some kids, they are going to be wanting to throw strikes and they may rely on the FB...better scenario for the hitter. My son's experience has shown to be aggressive early in the AB and make solid contact. That is most important. If you have a long AB and battle against a kid that is throwing junk, more power to you. Usually in these kind of events if they "walk" the batter they will put another guy on at 1B and the hitter remains in the box and the pitcher must throw fastballs until he strikes him out or the ball is put in play.

good questions!

My opinion: be aggressive at the plate; It's not a typical game situation. Coaches are there to see swings.

as far as the 60, not sure how coaches use the time recorded there. My guy has run a 6.75 at a showcase, but I timed him at 6.63 in practice, so he's gonna try to beat the 6.75.  If he runs slower, he's gonna ignore it when he sends out his emails/letters etc.  If he beats it, he'll tell everyone how much he's improved.

Is your boy in the academic tryout? If so, he'll have a chance to run it then, too.

smokeminside posted:

good questions!

My opinion: be aggressive at the plate; It's not a typical game situation. Coaches are there to see swings.

as far as the 60, not sure how coaches use the time recorded there. My guy has run a 6.75 at a showcase, but I timed him at 6.63 in practice, so he's gonna try to beat the 6.75.  If he runs slower, he's gonna ignore it when he sends out his emails/letters etc.  If he beats it, he'll tell everyone how much he's improved.

Is your boy in the academic tryout? If so, he'll have a chance to run it then, too.

He's not participating in the academic tryout (I'm just trying to keep his GPA north of 3 .

On the 60, since being timed at 6.59 he's been doing core training and I've also got him signed up to spend an hour with a sprint trainer (as I suspect his form is pretty inefficient).  So I have some reason to believe he can do better.  Tough call.  Just a bad start and you're 0.2s higher.

Last edited by Boilermaker

AZ Fall Classic - 1-1 counts and a new Pitcher every inning.  Complete Pitcher-Catcher outing....  Work on timing & rhythm...the hitter has to get dialed into the pitcher while in the dugout and in the on deck circle.  Work on his routine...all eyes are watching the moment he steps out of the dugout.

Look at the list of colleges which attended last year - which schools appeal to him?  With a 60 time and pop time like your sons he will get attention.  Email some of those colleges and offer his times.  Any times at a verified event you can reference?  On video?  Your son will get on their "shopping list" for the event.  Gotta market yourself...

You have 3-4 weeks here, get him feeling confident and some swag at the plate. Get discipline with his approach at the plate, and pre AB routine. Again, all eyes are watching...enough reps over next few weeks where he's not even thinking about it...

If memory serves (both Jr. & Sr. Classic last year)....counts start out at 0-0. First walk for batter, stay in the box and runner on first from dugout. Start AB over (may start @1-1 now) and only fastballs. Second walk for same batter in the game and he takes first himself (swing the bat boys!). Some of this can vary 'a bit' based on Coach's desires at plate meeting with Ump just prior to game start.

Innings are 3 outs or 6 batters whichever happens first. No score kept.

Can run 60 off to the side of one field throughout event but don't have to. Usually scheduled by team. Times are recorded and given to RC's/Scouts at end of event. If you want to be noticed running a 60, that happens at the Academic try-out.

DesertDuck posted:

If memory serves (both Jr. & Sr. Classic last year)....counts start out at 0-0. First walk for batter, stay in the box and runner on first from dugout. Start AB over (may start @1-1 now) and only fastballs. Second walk for same batter in the game and he takes first himself (swing the bat boys!). Some of this can vary 'a bit' based on Coach's desires at plate meeting with Ump just prior to game start.

Can run 60 off to the side of one field throughout event but don't have to. Usually scheduled by team. Times are recorded and given to RC's/Scouts at end of event. If you want to be noticed running a 60, that happens at the Academic try-out.

Do you have to run the 60 at the academic game tryout? I mean, does everyone run it?

Good advice, but remember pitchers are there to show their stuff also...so they will be throwing their best pitches and they have to show good velocity so I would be sitting FB. They also need to show good breaking balls so look for hangers. They rotate a lot of pitchers in and out so pay attention to who is warming up and what pitches he is warming up with and also what he is throwing in what sequence. Regardless where a ball is hit bust his a$$ down the line to show speed. Good Luck!!!

smokeminside posted:

I suppose you don't have to run it.  Position groups move through the tryout together but you could probably duck out and join the group at the next station. They have a list, though, (alphabetical?) and they announce a kid's name before the defensive and offensive turns.

Thanks. Unfortunately, no time right now to train for the 60.

2019Dad posted:
DesertDuck posted:

Do you have to run the 60 at the academic game tryout? I mean, does everyone run it?

The 60 is at the academic tryout - standard showcase format

Gov posted:
2019Dad posted:
DesertDuck posted:

The 60 is at the academic tryout - standard showcase format

Thanks, Gov. He'll run it and I expect he'll do OK, but it would be wise to spend some time prepping for it (working on start, etc.). Where to find the time . . . ?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.