Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dropping off my youngest (2022) on the 27th and my 2020 starts at a new school after Labor Day.

In the "it's a small world" category. My 2022's roommate is his HS teammate. They played together for 4 years in HS. Never on the same summer team but they originally met in 10U CYO basketball. Their teams were playing against each other in a tournament. Both were forwards and my son basically clotheslined him after he kept driving and taking his lunch for an entire half. Funny how things turn out....

My sons and I are going to the Yankee game Saturday. Will be the last game we can all go to this. season.....

Last edited by nycdad

Dropped off my youngest last weekend.  I was good all weekend, until we were saying good bye on Sunday morning in the parking lot.  I was in the background (older brother and grandparents up front) and he says "you're not getting away that easy" and he pulls me in and says "don't think that I don't appreciate all the things and sacrifices you've made for me" (raised him as a single dad for the last 5 years).  I lost it and had to walk away...........and took this video (screen cap) of him driving off to do big things.   

At home, the dogs (3) and I have had some great conversations (they probably think that I'm nuts). 

Good luck to those

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

Dropped off my youngest last weekend.  I was good all weekend, until we were saying good bye on Sunday morning in the parking lot.  I was in the background (older brother and grandparents up front) and he says "you're not getting away that easy" and he pulls me in and says "don't think that I don't appreciate all the things and sacrifices you've made for me" (raised him as a single dad for the last 5 years).  I lost it and had to walk away...........and took this video (screen cap) of him driving off to do big things.   

At home, the dogs (3) and I have had some great conversations (they probably think that I'm nuts).

Good luck to those

If kids understood the significance to a Dad to hear a comment like your son made to you, I bet they would say things like that more often.

Good luck to those

Whelp, that post choked me up. Good luck to your son!

Good luck to those

geeze russinftworth, now its not only you thats crying!!  Id give my right arm to hear my kid say that!!

I did not take my oldest son to college, as my father was in the hospital.  I don't know if my husband made his bed - I somehow doubt it!

I took my middle son, and I did make his bed.  He was in too much of a hurry to get back to the freshman activities to really say goodbye.  I was thrilled that he was so excited to be there.

@FriarFred, your picture came through in my email, but does not show up in my browser - can you repost?  It's really good!

@FriarFred posted:

This is from Northern Oklahoma - Enid twitter account.  Love it!

This was me and my husband last year. 

ETA: driving up with my son in his car next Wednesday, but now that he is a sophomore, I won't try to make his bed or introduce myself to everyone on his hall.  I'm just helping carry up some of the stuff and then flying back home.

Last edited by LuckyCat

Dropping off daughter at Holy Cross in Worcester, MA as I write. I am not great at move in other than driving 20 hours from MN and moving everything out of storage unit and up the flights of stairs to her room. Wife is great at helping with organizing and stuff.

Went to WooSox game last night (beautiful new ballpark) and as walking in park the visitors have cages that are visible to fans. I see they are playing the Nats AAA team…check phone…yup, it’s a small world. Nats manager has been a client/friend for the last 20 years since he was with the Twins. Of course ended up staying in the same hotel and talked for 2.5 hours in the breakfast area!

Dropping son at Bradley for freshman year Saturday. So excited for him and baseball but we will be empty nesters starting this fall. So weird. Wife is gonna be wrecked for a while…

Roster posted online yesterday, 35 players (that’s what R/C said it would be). 2 JUCO kids coming in along with 1 grad kid to go with 7 freshman. Excited for this journey for him and thankful for all I have gotten here along the way!

He moves in on 9/1. He is sharing a quad with 4 teammates, one of them played in the same travel org with kid and was supposed to be teammates last fall but elbow surgery ended that. The other 2 lives in MA and FL. The quad has a slightly smaller bed rooms but there is a living room. The dorm is close to the field and near the dining hall. The campus is about 100 acres and walkable, everything school and sports related is on campus so there really isn't a need to venture out and not advisable. His room mates are nice boys...err men and we...err wife planned a dinner with the parents after the orientation. We plan on going the day before but I am a bit uncomfortable of leaving the kid's stuff in the car so I may make him empty the vehicle and put everything in the hotel room...typical NYC paranoia. Already arguing with the wife about not over packing as we could easily buy everything he needs when we get there, all the big superstores are within 20 miles. She is acting as if he is moving into hut outside of civilization. I told her we need some room in the car for him to sit in.

We just dropped our son off at LAX last night for a red-eye back to the East Coast to start his senior year.   He has a few days of obligations, then classes and practice starts Monday.  Summer for him was 3 weeks and we all made the best of it.  He asked me to help him work out every morning, just like the old days (my job was to feed the tee, throw soft-toss and catch his long toss)... nothing better than that!  Of course then he'd ask to borrow my car to see his old HS buddies...  You'd think this would get easier by now, but this was the last time we'll be doing this and it was probably the toughest to say goodbye.  We've got a trip planned in October to watch a scrimmage, and we've already cleared the schedule and see as many games as humanly possible in the spring.  I'm looking forward to spring but not sure I'm prepared for the end of spring...

@Smitty28 posted:

We just dropped our son off at LAX last night for a red-eye back to the East Coast to start his senior year.   He has a few days of obligations, then classes and practice starts Monday.  Summer for him was 3 weeks and we all made the best of it.  He asked me to help him work out every morning, just like the old days (my job was to feed the tee, throw soft-toss and catch his long toss)... nothing better than that!  Of course then he'd ask to borrow my car to see his old HS buddies...  You'd think this would get easier by now, but this was the last time we'll be doing this and it was probably the toughest to say goodbye.  We've got a trip planned in October to watch a scrimmage, and we've already cleared the schedule and see as many games as humanly possible in the spring.  I'm looking forward to spring but not sure I'm prepared for the end of spring...

I hear you about the end of spring, but Commissioning week should be extremely special.

Dropped off our freshman son at the dorm July 5th for summer school/weightlifting program that new players attend, and there were some tears from me and mom.  Initially, things at home seemed strange for everyone (mom had some crying sessions, sister slept on top of son's bed for the first couple weeks and the dog kept looking for his fetch partner), but it hit me the hardest.  No more marathon cage sessions, morning breakfasts before the girls got up or late-night "life discussions" in the back yard.  Instead, I am having to get back into some of my own hobbies, which isn't so bad, and I told my daughter that I now have more time to help her with dance (you can imagine her response).  Fortunately, son has a great roommate, really likes all of the incoming players and enjoyed the summer program.  He got to come home for a week before fall starts and we got in some fishing and great family time.  Even better, he asked me to go to the cages tonight!  I guess my daughter will have to wait one more day for those dance lessons

Good luck to all of the families that are sending their players off for the fall.

@JDUBSDAD posted:

Dropped off our freshman son at the dorm July 5th for summer school/weightlifting program that new players attend, and there were some tears from me and mom.  Initially, things at home seemed strange for everyone (mom had some crying sessions, sister slept on top of son's bed for the first couple weeks and the dog kept looking for his fetch partner), but it hit me the hardest.  No more marathon cage sessions, morning breakfasts before the girls got up or late-night "life discussions" in the back yard.  Instead, I am having to get back into some of my own hobbies, which isn't so bad, and I told my daughter that I now have more time to help her with dance (you can imagine her response).  Fortunately, son has a great roommate, really likes all of the incoming players and enjoyed the summer program.  He got to come home for a week before fall starts and we got in some fishing and great family time.  Even better, he asked me to go to the cages tonight!  I guess my daughter will have to wait one more day for those dance lessons !

Good luck to all of the families that are sending their players off for the fall.

Sounds very similar to our house except I'm the mom having the crying sessions!  I am also the "go to" parent for almost everything.  Dad is the BP guy and the mechanics guy, but I am the "heart to heart" parent.  My son will be starting his junior year all at the same school and being gone most of the summer for summer baseball will definitely help with the transition this year.  I always hate watching him go, but it does seem to get a little easier each year watching him grow into the man we hoped he would become. 

Senior stayed at school working all summer, working out with similar teammates so there was no drop off. Last night was a senior dinner so most everyone was back on campus.  Sophomore drove himself to campus yesterday just in time to make a mandatory "athletes meeting" (all we got from his text.)  Classes start this am, so here's hoping he got his car unpacked and his room set up.  Freshman parents - it does get easier!

@bebop2019 posted:

Senior stayed at school working all summer, working out with similar teammates so there was no drop off. Last night was a senior dinner so most everyone was back on campus.  Sophomore drove himself to campus yesterday just in time to make a mandatory "athletes meeting" (all we got from his text.)  Classes start this am, so here's hoping he got his car unpacked and his room set up.  Freshman parents - it does get easier!

You let go and let them swim. It’s part of their growing up process. Hovering doesn’t work. They’re not going to tell you that much about college except “everything is fine.” Think back to how much you told your parents about college.

Dropping off oldest this week, he's ready.  It's a different world now, I got put on a train for a 28 hour trip with a 4 hr stop in Chicago,  all my stuff had been mailed to school a week earlier.  Son's school has a facebook page for new student parent's and it's kind of hilarious.  Parents making play dates for their 18 yo kids with other parents kids, all of whom I am sure would be mortified if they knew.  Others practically writing personal ads, "My son's in x hall rm 123, he likes video games and taking long walks on the beach... come knock on his door" ;-)

My wife has forbidden me to post on the site.

@HSDad22 posted:

Son's school has a facebook page for new student parent's and it's kind of hilarious.  Parents making play dates for their 18 yo kids with other parents kids, all of whom I am sure would be mortified if they knew.  Others practically writing personal ads, "My son's in x hall rm 123, he likes video games and taking long walks on the beach... come knock on his door" ;-)

You have described it perfectly.  It's unbelievable.  I read it just to be amused.

@HSDad22 posted:

Dropping off oldest this week, he's ready.  It's a different world now, I got put on a train for a 28 hour trip with a 4 hr stop in Chicago,  all my stuff had been mailed to school a week earlier.  Son's school has a facebook page for new student parent's and it's kind of hilarious.  Parents making play dates for their 18 yo kids with other parents kids, all of whom I am sure would be mortified if they knew.  Others practically writing personal ads, "My son's in x hall rm 123, he likes video games and taking long walks on the beach... come knock on his door" ;-)

My wife has forbidden me to post on the site.

Do parents seriously write that?!?  Oh my!  I have seen the parents of 202.. Facebook pages, but assumed it was more for information or questions parents might ask that their kid may not have an answer to (move in information, graduation, etc.)

Do parents seriously write that?!?  Oh my!  I have seen the parents of 202.. Facebook pages, but assumed it was more for information or questions parents might ask that their kid may not have an answer to (move in information, graduation, etc.)

Yes, the site is there for parents to ask questions, lots of, "should I bring this, or is there a "store" near campus, etc.  but yes, there are lots of posts trying to get kids together through parents, with descriptions of their kids interests, I may have embellished a little with the long walks quote, but not all that much..

Some of it's pretty hilarious and without a doubt I sit there just saying to myself,  CUT THE CORD ALREADY!  Ergo my wife threatening me not to post, cause I can be a bit mean.    If I ever posted anything about my son on there for purposes of making friends for him,,,,, I'm sure my son's response would be,  "sleep with one eye open, dad, with one eye open"

Okay, sorry, enough comedy, this thread did have a real purpose and I'll be happy to share what that day was like at the end of the week, keeping it as close to baseball related as possible.

Cheers

@HSDad22 definitely stay off that site! Hardest part about my oldest daughter graduating was losing that site. Her roommate’s mom and I used to fight each other to screen shot the ridiculous things parents put on there so we could laugh about it (I know, awful…but some of these questions deserved to be ridiculed!! LOL).

Our middle daughter and last college student for now heads back in September for a red shirt/COVID 5th year of basketball. We have adjusted to having adult visitors in and out of our lives; it has been a pleasure to see them grow and mature and getting to know them as their own people and not just our kids.

Wishing much success for all the HSBBWsons out there this school year…and to all the parents adjusting to the empty nest!

Advice to parents new to college baseball …

If there are team discussion boards stay away. Don’t even read them. Eventually someone will say something nasty about your kid. It will likely come from someone who lacks the knowledge to really understand what it takes to get there and how hard it is to compete.

Sophomore kid at a D3 headed back this weekend.  Much different than last year, when his mom cried and I gave him a hug and we wished him the best, as we dropped him off and moved him in. This year he just moved himself in and we said see you soon.

i’m hoping he continues to enjoy some of his classes. He has certainly done everything he can to prepare for fall ball, including gaining 10+ pounds of muscle and getting some valuable experience in a summer league. It’s up to him to show out in the fall scrimmages, I’m certainly not gonna worry about it, and if there is a parents group page (I honestly don’t know!) I would never take part.

Had planned on just a drop-off, but sons dorm was filthy dirty. Black mold in AC and shower. Hair in shower drain, broken blinds, used tooth flossers and hair from a razor in the bathroom cabinet, spaghetti sauce on backsplash of range. You can imagine the toilet.Took us 3 hours , 2 large containers of Clorox wipes, a gallon of bleach and a big box of wet stiffer pads to get the place decent. After all that I didn't have it in me to be sad about leaving him lol!!!

I am on a parents page, and unfortunately many other dorms were in the same shape!!!!

Had planned on just a drop-off, but sons dorm was filthy dirty. Black mold in AC and shower. Hair in shower drain, broken blinds, used tooth flossers and hair from a razor in the bathroom cabinet, spaghetti sauce on backsplash of range. You can imagine the toilet.Took us 3 hours , 2 large containers of Clorox wipes, a gallon of bleach and a big box of wet stiffer pads to get the place decent. After all that I didn't have it in me to be sad about leaving him lol!!!

I am on a parents page, and unfortunately many other dorms were in the same shape!!!!

For the kind of money I'm sure you're paying for the dorm, the school has a responsibility to provide a cleaning service and a sanitary environment.  Especially in these times of vaccination requirements and masks...  I think I'd let them hear of this.

Dropped Kid off this week, set up his room, then lunch, a meeting with coach, and a bunch of parent included orientation meetings.  We then said goodbye as he went off to some more student meetings and parents went to parent only meetings, including one with Director of Athletics.   We left knowing he's at the right place.   He's had 4 days of orientation through the weekend and met up with other incoming recruits and some of the upperclassmen to do some hitting, shagging and throwing on the field.  No official fall practice for a couple of weeks to let the freshman get acclimated to classes, just access to the fields and equipment right now.

He's sent a list home of things he needs and we'll run them down to him this weekend to help finalize his transition.  He will have had a full week of classes by then and he can fill us in as we have barely heard from him.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.