Skip to main content

I know I'm going to sound like I'm all over the map here, but here goes. After watching this poor animal break his leg in 3 places during the Preakness, undergoing surgery and now fighting a 50-50 battle for his life, I've never been more opposed to exploiting animals for this type of activity. I have always maintained that using horses, and greyhounds for that matter, to indulge the gambling habits of a small percentage of human society is nothing more than a legal form of animal cruelty. I'm a right-leaning Republican, and I eat meat. I do believe that some animals were put here for human consumption, but I oppose hunting. When I see a family of deer drinking from the stream in my back yard and know that if they travel south through the woods about 3/4 of a mile toward the Rod and Gun Club they'll get slaughtered legally during hunting season I just bristle! I don't think I'm ready to join PETA just yet because I love a good barbeque, but how necessary is this animal racing stuff? And don't get me started on zoos! Disgusting.
Creative Thought Matters
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

PopTime,
I'm Sorry as much as you are that Barbaro was hurt.
But these Horses are as much of an Athlete as any Human.
Should we stop football because Joe Thiesman broke his Leg.

These Horses love to race, want to race, are breed to Race.
It's in there Blood. No Differant than any Athlete.

Injury's Happen in all Sport's, Should we Ban them All?
Instead of taking that to the ladies forum it would be more appropriate on an animal rights website. Granted we at the HSBBW do venture away from baseball topics but those topics are normally relevant to baseball or parenting of a baseball player/student/athlete. If they are NOT related to baseball then we try to make them fit on the Unusually Unusual forum. I think your topic is more of a political statement and I’m sure you know about political statements.
Thanks,
Fungo
I am not a race horse afficionado but I watch the Derby, Preakness and Belmont and my wife has been deeply involved with horses, trotters especially when she owned a few

To me a racing horse is an special breed of animal and meant to ne what it is-- if Barbaro recovers he will be worth multi millions as a stud and that is where the money is-- shook me up to see it happen and if he does survive all the money invested is lost--but then there is INSURANCE--it still hurts to see what we saw Saturday

We train our kids to win and play the game just as trainers do with these horses---think about it a few minutes if not longer
EH..YES! Ban all sports! That's exactly what I was saying! Fungo, I like you and respect you a lot. But shall I go back and find just a random sampling of unbaseball related subjects in this forum? I wouldn't show you up that way. It was just an opinion, ok, a rant. I apologize to everyone if it was innapropriate. Baseball only from now on!
Poptime,
I do not think that any malice was intended in Fungo's reply to you.
I am saddened by what has happened to a great athlete (yes, they are athletes too)but in all sports there is a risk to injury.

I am wondering if Fungo feels frustrated as some others about where some discussions end up, this is a HSBBW directed towards helping parents and players and sometimes it is difficult trying to find the right forum to post under for certain topics that do not pertain to baseball. Political discussions tend to make us over react. You are definetly entitled to your thoughts regarding what happened.

Maybe this would serve as a reminder for everyone to try to place our posts in the correct forum where it would get a better response.

JMO. Smile
As far as off-baseball related subjects.....

I have made quiet a few friends on this site and unfortunatly have met very few of them. I feel this site is so sucessful because posts like this establishes trusting relationships and open mindeness with a group of people that are only connected logically. Without that quasi-relationship this site would be like the rest of the baseball sites, a boring FAQ sheet. Where our kids go on college, how we as parents deal with injury, or any other parent issue on this site is not something that you just ask a stranger that is watching a game. In order to have that relationship you have to go outside the baseball envelope and get a feel on what makes your peers tick.
quote:
When I see a family of deer drinking from the stream in my back yard and know that if they travel south through the woods about 3/4 of a mile toward the Rod and Gun Club they'll get slaughtered legally during hunting season I just bristle!

This topic is "no win" because you are either for or against hunting. I used to hunt but then stopped because it is a "sport" of passion. I don't hunt anymore because I did not have that passion, I still go out every other month and try out my buddies new toys and shoot the snot out of anything that does not have a pulse. In WI there were almost 400,000 deer shot with a gun in a 9 day period last November and an additional 100,000 taken with bow last Fall. Thats a lot deer without making a dent in the population. Do you have a pest problem at home? Now put your pest problem at a State wide level. Now find a fix to that problem that will result in a multi billion dollar industry. People are entitled to their opinions, but sometimes you have to step back and look at the big picture. At least in WI, the State has found a way to combine the human instinct to hunt and State economics.

Herding cattle single file to the slaughter house is also an ugly picture, but, that is not an issue to mainstream society. I end up with a deer in my freezer every year from friends and enjoy sausage, brats, steaks, jerky, and burger as part of my diet.
Last edited by rz1
I, for one, wasn't offended, as occasionally all of us baseball freaks realize there is a less-than-perfect world outside of the diamond, and commenting on it isn't all that bad. We've covered other subjects to some extent- sports other than baseball, politics, medicine, etc.

On a football trip I once posed next to Secretariat, then sent the picture to my sister with the caption, "The two Biggest Studs In The South". Just a little full of myself in those days....

Racehorses are beautiful animals, but if you get a PETA discussion going here, it'll get crazy. Maybe in the dog days of December it'd be a welcome diversion, but with high school baseball in full swing, college ball in tournament time, and MLB nightly, there are plenty of baseball topics.

Sounds like the horse may survive, and I sure hope he does. Post racing life for real "studs" ain't half bad.
Horses are like baseball players, come game day they got that look, that feel, and that desire to win. They also have a "stretch", warmups, trainers, owners, supplements, and creams. Fortunatly for a basball player that career ending injury has a few more options than the horse does as the player can become a coach, announcer, or even a poster on the HSBBW.

Maybe now this thread is back in a baseball state of mind. Wink
Last edited by rz1
Fortunatly for a basball player that career ending injury has a few more options than the horse does as the player can become a coach, announcer, or even a poster on the HSBBW.

Baseball players also have free will. Hopefully ours kids are playing ball because that's what they want to do, and not because that's what they were bred for. They can tell you when they don't want to do it anymore. Horsies don't have that ability. rz1, suppliments and creams? Does BALCO have an equestrian division?
quote:
suppliments and creams? Does BALCO have an equestrian division?

Seriously I would not doubt that Balco has worked with the animal world. Horse racing is the #1 sport for doping, a testing ground and think tank for all those developing and peddling the crapp. But then again there have only been a few guys that have been caught red handed. So like Barry Bonds until they're caught, tried, and convicted it's not fair to assume that they are involved with steroids........yea right, whatever.
Last edited by rz1
TR, I'd heard the phrase "p*** like a racehorse", but had no idea it was pharmceutically based! Wink

Actually, I have used a bit of DMSO on the ballfield, and that was originally for horses....hmmmm....are horses the White Mice of athletics?

Pop, I agree that this can still be a place where the odd off-baseball topic can come up, as it is a community and not a focus group. I would never want to see the site hijacked, but I think these non-bb disussions enhance our understanding of who we're taking advice/counsel from.
quote:
When I see a family of deer drinking from the stream...

I get hungry! Smile

Sorry PopTime, but I couldn't resist. I agree with the majority that it probably doesn't make sense to discuss "hot" political topics on this site. It is refreshing however that even though we are on opposite sides of the hunting issue, we still share the same passion for baseball.

All the best!

Ross.
Last edited by Callaway
Living in the heart of horse country, the care that thoroughbreds receive is mind boggling to people that haven't seen it. There are "barns" for these beautiful animals that are much nicer than many people's homes. I can tell you first hand that the care of horses in this area isn't something taken lightly by most. They're valued and appreciated animals on several different levels.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.