Skip to main content

Great thread - For this summers HS season we're sitting right where "Baseball Moms" is written on the map.   Our HS has a parking lot has a elevated parking lot along Right Field and they auction off reserved parking spots to raise $$ for the program.  We like to watch from there for the following reasons:

1.  Son can't look at us and make eye contact when the game is on.  Over the years I've seen a lot of kids look at a parent every time something goes wrong or things get tough... It's almost like kids are looking for someone to give them an excuse to fail or validate why they didn't swing at strike 3.  I've also seen a lot of parents yelling instructions (which screw up kids more than help them IMO).  Sitting this far away helps me from falling into both of those traps because I'm definitely not perfect and could easily do those things too.

2.  It also spaces us out from other parent and fans.  Sometime we get paranoid when our kid is pitching and it's not going well.  We don't like to hear any negative comments about ANY of the players, coaches and umpires.  That doesn't mean that I might not utter those comments under my breath or make comments to my wife.  It does however keep other parents/spectators further away from us to keep from hearing these private thoughts.

3.  I might enjoy Friday night games with a couple cold "pops" in Yeti can cooler. 

Always stood down the outfield line away from the crowd.  Was a smoker in those days and that kept a lot of people away from me which was fine - it was tiresome to hear the crying about coaches decisions on playing time and strategy. 

Fences tended to be 4 feet tall past the infield so they were easy to lean on and had great site lines about 50 feet past 1st or 3rd base.

At HS games the wife sets up between the plate and on deck circle to film. I’ll log a couple miles pacing and watching from different spots. Another dad and I coached a few of the boys from 8U until HS, so we tend to spend a good bit of the game together.
At tournaments, at some point I end up playing catch with younger two sons between innings (if they haven’t made new friends and forgot who dad is)  

Now that my kids are older and done playing I don’t avoid any parents. They’re now as much of the entertainment as the game.

One of my favorites was the dad who told me his junior son wanted to play at LSU or ASU. Knowing he would be already talking with them if he was on the radar screen I asked how many times he’s talked with them. Then I asked how many times he has played in front of LSU or ASU coaches. The dad informed me it’s not important until after junior year.

His kid had very good hands, speed, quickness and baseball instincts. He played short. His arm was adequate. But he didn’t drive the ball. He had a high .300 batting average outrunning average high school arms. Plus the kid was 5’9” 135. I figured he was a decent D3 prospect.

The kid shocked me by making a low level conference D1 as a walk on. As a junior this year he’s 5’10” 150 according to the roster. In about 100 at bats over three years he’s hit below .200.

I didn’t tell the dad I played Legion ball with his brother years ago. The brother was drafted and signed. Also, the brother lives next door to my lifelong best friend. I never said a word about the dad’s observations to the brother.

Cabbage - didn't start that way but once the separation started on the field for playing time and positions SS vs CF etc. the noise outside the fence picked up.  Kind of sucked the air out of it....so looked for greener (quieter) pastures so to speak so I could just enjoy watching my boys play and have fun.

Actually made going to sucky job almost seem worthwhile.

@cabbagedad posted:

Wow, y'all put a lot of thought and strategy into this based on other people's behavior.  I just wanted to have a good seat to see the whole baseball game.

I actually found it entertaining to hear all the different versions of sports parents as background.  Secondary, but all part of taking in a game.

Agree!💯

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.