Skip to main content

My son has a very high ACT score of 29. If he gets a call in July and let's say an offer to play baseball, how will the offer be detailed? Will it be just the baseball portion or do they get into the academic offer as well. Also, will he be given a time period to think it over or should he accept it on the spot (assuming it's one of his school choices)?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by billyjoe:
My son has a very high ACT score of 29. If he gets a call in July and let's say an offer to play baseball, how will the offer be detailed? Will it be just the baseball portion or do they get into the academic offer as well. Also, will he be given a time period to think it over or should he accept it on the spot (assuming it's one of his school choices)?

You have a PM
Our experience was they made the offer over the phone (with son writing as fast as he could), then followed up with an e-mail. The offer was broken down into various components. No time limit was given initially but my son told the school he had other visits scheduled and asked if he would be able to complete those before deciding. The coach was agreeable and asked that he decide within 3 days after the last scheduled visit.

We weren't in a July 1 situation, more like late September, so it may differ for the red hot highly sought D-1 prospects.

The phone doesn't necessarily start ringing off the hook on July 1 except for the really highly and widely sought after guys, so no players should be disappointed if it doesn't ring that day. My son didn't start getting calls until mid-August, but eventually had around 10 schools call.
Our experience with early July calls varied from college to college. IMO the important thing is for your son to be prepared to ask specific questions, take notes, and to never give a verbal commitment to anyone without having the offer, in detailed, for your review.

We talk about how important the right “fit” is, and this is really critical IMO. To make this important decision, you need to do your research before hand on the schools of interest: learn about their baseball programs, their coaching backgrounds & tenure, the school’s academic record and majors offered, and where possible take a visit to the campus and surrounding area, all before the recruiting season starts.

During those first calls it is usually a fishing expedition to level-set the interest between both parties. We did not experience a call where there was an offer given during the first communication. But to answer your original question, yes, you should have the complete offer provided, baseball and/or academic $$$’s, before your son makes a verbal commitment.
Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.