Skip to main content

2013 plays football too. He has received several personal invites to Fall College camps. Obvously the stakes are higher this fall. I believe he has not met some of these coaches. They have sought him out through word of mouth I assume...but have not seen him play. He has followed up with his video. I think the expectation at these fall camps is that every kid is in basebal shape.

Although 2013 does take swings and infield when he can on weekends he has not seen live pitching since late summer. His swing still looks fine (tees and front toss) but I am concerned that his timing may be off. I would think he will be fine after a day or two or seeing pitching...if he had time before a camp. Not sure how to get him into preseason shape quickly.

Has anybody dealt with this situation and can offer any quidance.

As always - Thanks
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Been there also. If you can, get him some live BP to let him work on timing issues. When my youngest had the same scenario he did not take BP prior and he hit the cover off the ball while at the camp. Go figure...

The coaches who invited him probably know that he plays football and will consider that in their evaluations.

I think he'll be fine. Good luck,
Lefty
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
it is not a good idea if he is not in tip top baseball shape

Respectively disagree TR. If the kid is getting invites to camps and wants to go then he go. Get himself as ready as he possibly can and go for it.

Personally, I like the football kids! They are mentally tough and not afraid to work.

Lefty
Why don't you call the coach and ask? If he doesn't really know who your son is, don't go if he's not ready to play. If the coaches had called him I might be a little more inclined to go as they would be looking for him and know his situation. Often times when a unknown kid goes to a camp he needs to standout to be noticed, which is hard to do after playing a football game.
From '12's experience I'd jump on it (it's getting late.) Was QB on a state(large)-ranked team for two years and coaches were well aware of it and the brutal time commitment for both from his bio, and the fact film and lifting was on Saturdays. Some schools like getting already toughened FB players. Expect yours to be the strongest frosh if he's sticking to his lifting plan. My guess is that the stud high 80's Ps are already spoken for so he may end up hitting just fine against lower '13s, '14s or even 15's. Nonetheless, and others may chime in, it seems particular attention is paid to the onfield cage session where usually an AC or current player is short-throwing BP speed, and your player is asked to pull/HnR/oppo. During sim games, it seems the focus tends toward Ps.
My 2013 went to the Duke fall camp. First he was being looked at with the previous coaching staff. After making contact with Coach Pollard he asked for video and transcript. His travel team coach who is from North Carolina called Pollard to see if he was looking for pitchers. He told him yes but he needed to see him. Coach Hayes called to make sure he was coming. So he went to the camp and pitched great. 90mph fastball great slider and changeup. Pollard was more involved with running the camp than watching. Heard nothing from Duke for two weeks. my son emailed and no response. I finally got a hold of Coach Jordan and asked what was going on and said we have not had a reply. Said he would tell the other coaches. Never heard anything. Now we see he had been recruiting and signed five pitchers. The reality of camps are they are fundraisers.. If they aren't talking turkey it's not serious. Most of these invites are from a mailing list you get on after a showcase.

Good luck, Sparky 134
quote:
Originally posted by Bludevil_bk:
2013 plays football too. He has received several personal invites to Fall College camps. Obvously the stakes are higher this fall. I believe he has not met some of these coaches. They have sought him out through word of mouth I assume...but have not seen him play. He has followed up with his video. I think the expectation at these fall camps is that every kid is in basebal shape.

Although 2013 does take swings and infield when he can on weekends he has not seen live pitching since late summer. His swing still looks fine (tees and front toss) but I am concerned that his timing may be off. I would think he will be fine after a day or two or seeing pitching...if he had time before a camp. Not sure how to get him into preseason shape quickly.

Has anybody dealt with this situation and can offer any quidance.

As always - Thanks
Some good advice on this thread.

I would agree that many of the camps are fundraisers. Some colleges recruit from their camps, and there are folks on this board who can report success from attending a camp. In particular, my impression is that some D3s rely heavily on their camps since they don't cover as much territory recruiting-wise.

If a coach is already seriously interested in your son at this time, you will know it. However, that doesn't mean he can't get some interest at the camps. I would certainly suggest direct contact with the coaches, with an explanation of the circumstances. It really depends on where they are in the recruiting process for your son's position.

I should add that my son got a call from a HC based on word-of-mouth of a very trusted source. He got an invitation to the college's camp, did well, and will be attending there next year with a guaranteed roster spot. However, it was VERY clear before he attended the camp that the coach was serious about recruiting him based on the information from the trusted source(s), but wanted to see him in person.

Good luck!
Mine starts in football and basketball as well, so I've learned a lot this year.

Fortunately his other coaches understand that his college sport is baseball and they've let him play with his fall travel team against college teams, and let him attend two showcases and throw during the week.

Of course they've also allowed him to miss practice for recruiting visits, so it's really helped.

As for the college coaches recruiting him, they all know (and seem to respect) that he plays all of the sports, and the ones that we've been most impressed by actually came to watch him play football.

One of the first coaches who offered him said "if you're this good when you're playing three sports, imagine how good you'll be when you can focus on pitching."

Since that time several coaches have pointed that out, and offered, and those are schools at the top of his list...they get it.
Last edited by OKbaseballDad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.