Skip to main content

Rewording question because people are having trouble understanding it.

Before I go into the details here is the premise of the argument if someone says "do you want to take an infield/outfield on the field?" during warmups before a game where would you go? The two choices are to the outfield where you do a infield/outfield, or to your normal game position on the field. The answer should solely be based on how the question was phrased.

I got into this debate with my friend because he stated that he would go to his game position because that is what he thought the coach meant, but I thought that the coach meant he wanted us to take infield outfield in the outfield because that is where we normally go. How would you respond?

EDIT: Grammar

EDIT: If this is confusing in any way please leave a comment I would love to clarify

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited by iplaybaseballtoo
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

RJM posted:

What exactly is confusing about the question? I am trying to debate the meaning of "on the field" in baseball based on the phrase that I used. Imagine this, it is a situation before the game and you normally up by taking infield/outfield in the outfield correct? If the coach says" would you like to take your in/out on the field" would you assume that he means spread out and use the whole field and play in your normal position, or just play warmup in the outfield.

Last edited by iplaybaseballtoo

In/out means on the field in your normal positions.  Otherwise the coach would say we don't get on the infield during pregame.  I've never seen a high school that did not take in/out on the field in positions unless the field was wet or real short on time.  Travel is different.  Unless it is a true showcase game just for show nobody takes in/out or infield/outfield on the field.

What age level and who is the "someone" saying it?  

If HS, I'm with your friend and Pitchingfan... taking I/O on the field means each player at his position.  The exceptions typically are some tournaments.   "Do you want to take I/O?" means the normal routine with each player plus backups at their designated position, making throws to bases, etc.

PitchingFan posted:

In/out means on the field in your normal positions.  Otherwise the coach would say we don't get on the infield during pregame.  I've never seen a high school that did not take in/out on the field in positions unless the field was wet or real short on time.  Travel is different.  Unless it is a true showcase game just for show nobody takes in/out or infield/outfield on the field.

I understand the error in my logic now, but do you see how I could be confused at the phrase? My assumption was that the outfield is technically "on the field" and we usually take our in/outs in the outfield. I guess I'm just trying to justify my bad logic. But do you see how someone could make that mistake?

cabbagedad posted:

What age level and who is the "someone" saying it?  

If HS, I'm with your friend and Pitchingfan... taking I/O on the field means each player at his position.  The exceptions typically are some tournaments.   "Do you want to take I/O?" means the normal routine with each player plus backups at their designated position, making throws to bases, etc.

I understand the error in my logic now, but do you see how I could be confused at the phrase? My assumption was that the outfield is technically "on the field" and we usually take our in/outs in the outfield. I guess I'm just trying to justify my bad logic. But do you see how someone could make that mistake?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.