Skip to main content

quote:
Why would a scout go to Backwater High to see Jeb play? Would he go there because he heard the kid had talent? And how do you suppose the person telling him that would make that determination?
When Backwater High played Timbuktu High in the Swamp League there was an umpire who is also an associate scout. Even without knowing the numbers the umpire/scout sees Jeb drive the ball with a quality swing when he faces Nuke LaLoosh. Nuke is known from playing for the Timbuktu Toolies at a Perfect Game event.
Last edited by RJM
jerseydad,

What you’re doing is saying that not all organizations act exactly the same way for the same reasons, and that makes sense.

Also, it also makes sense that the stats are part of the equation, just like so many other factors are taken into consideration.

As for that kid in the article, I have no doubt at all that he’s a “player”. But to tell the truth, a .500 average in one tournament, no matter who the competition is, is a heck of a lot different than .733 for an entire season. Wink Actually, the only thing that didn’t pass the smell test to me, was when they had all those other kids with such bodacious numbers too, but with a record that shows they have trouble beating anyone.

Usually, when I see that happening, the scorer is making some kind of fatal error for everyone. The scoring error I see most often like that, is counting FC’s as hits. But, it could be that I’m totally wrong, and they really do have all those players who knock the snot out of the ball, and if that’s true, I apologize profusely. But no matter what, I’ll just bet his numbers were the main reason he was playing in that tournament last year. Smile
Last edited by Stats4Gnats
The coach at my son's high school had a girl keeping the book. After the game I was handed the book to update stats. I managed the team website. As I looked over the page I wondered what game she was watching. She scored throwing errors by infielders as doubles. Fielders choice were singles. There were times she must not have been watching then made it up. My son walked and stoled second. The book said he had a double. I spent the entire evening reconstructing the game with a dad who had it on video. After one more game and evening of this I kept the book.
quote:
Originally posted by NP13:
I do not know how real the numbers are but in support of jerseydad, I can tell you that he can play and FWIW has always been a top player in the region against any competition. I would like to coach a team he couldn't make based on skill alone...that would be a very good team.

There’s never been any question about the kid’s abilities. The only question has been the validity of the numbers. When you have 5 starters batting over .500, 2 over .600, and 1 over .700, with a pitching staff that has a team ERA of 4.10 but are only 4-8 overall and 0-5 in league, there’s something wrong somewhere.

I’m gonna make and educated guess and say he’s very likely a real high .400 to low .500 kid at best. What people don’t seem to understand, is just how freaking good that is. But there often seems to be some kind of oneupsmanship that has to go on when stats are talked about. Here’s a perfect example.

Yesterday, our #1 threw a perfect game with 14 Ks, only using 77 pitches, and going to 0-2 on 12 of the 18 batters he threw a 1st pitch strike to. I got an e-mail this morning from a fellow down in SoCal who heard about it, and he tells me he had a kid throw a no-no who had 19 Ks, and the only player that got on reached on CI. Well if that story is true or not, I don’t know and frankly don’t care, but it illustrates how this stuff has the creeping numbers syndrome.
fillsfan - He was with the SJ Young Guns. Not sure if he ever moved on to a more "high profile showcase team". I did not see him last year, but prior to that I saw him a lot. Unless I am mistaken...his mother use to ring a cow bell and chant Jose.... Jose! Jose! Jose! I wasn't a big fan, but the talent was obvious.

Stats4Gnats - I agree number are probably not accurate, but with some of the scorekeepers I have seen in high school, sometimes I think it is as much ignorance as it is intentional.
quote:
Originally posted by NP13:
…Stats4Gnats - I agree number are probably not accurate, but with some of the scorekeepers I have seen in high school, sometimes I think it is as much ignorance as it is intentional.

I don’t think it was intentional at all! If it was, the numbers wouldn’t be stand out so much. If I was gonna “cheat”, I’d be a little less obvious than having all the players have such bodacious numbers. Wink

And who’s gonna know anyhoo? I’ve caught a few cheaters because I have the book. I look at the game and see a player who struck out twice and popped out twice showing 2X3 in the box score and I know there’s something hinky goin’ on. Or if I see a pitcher who gave up 2 HRs to leadoff batters giving up no ER’s, there’s just no way to pass the smell test.

But I really believe you’re correct and that ignorance is much more the fault than outright cheating.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.