Skip to main content

Does anyone have any recommendations for batting cage products (frame and net) for a backyard - something that will not break the bank, that is relatively durable and easy to assemble, and that will last at least a couple of years? I've looked on Amazon, and the options really vary and some only include the net. 

Thank you in advance. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had some trees in my yard.  I ran a vinyl covered cable between the trees, hung the net with D rings.  I added D rings to the bottom of the net as well so when not in use, the net could be lifted off the ground to prevent rot, animal entrapment and mowing.   Other inexpensive options are electrical conduit... easy to put together and they have 3 and 4 way connectors.   Use that as an internal skeleton and crape the net over the frame... easier than hanging the net.   Then if need to make more sturdy you could anchor with wires and tent pegs.  Good luck.

Don't skimp on length, height and especially width.  Net needs to have plenty of height to drag on the ground to function properly and safely.  Make sure there is ample clearance between side posts and net.  Even still, pad the side posts in a manner that will soften the ricochet.  Make sure you double up on the netting where the ball hits the back side when hitters don't swing (or use a pad/mat).  If you make your own frame (best value), account for winds and the weight of a decent net.  A well made and thought out cage is a tremendous tool.  A cheap one or one short on dimensions is an unsafe PITA.

I chose the "break the bank" option.

Bought a Bobcat and leveled out a hillside into a 70' x 14' patch of ground. Made a cage out of concrete-anchored galvanized pipe. Bought a full length net and a pitching machine. My long suffering wife drew the line at pouring a concrete floor.

When my son was done with baseball and it was time to sell the house, I restored the hillside, got almost all my money back when I re-sold the Bobcat, got back most of the cost of the net and the machine. Nothing back on the pipe or the rigging.

Would do it again. 

Swampboy posted:

I chose the "break the bank" option.

Bought a Bobcat and leveled out a hillside into a 70' x 14' patch of ground. Made a cage out of concrete-anchored galvanized pipe. Bought a full length net and a pitching machine. My long suffering wife drew the line at pouring a concrete floor.

When my son was done with baseball and it was time to sell the house, I restored the hillside, got almost all my money back when I re-sold the Bobcat, got back most of the cost of the net and the machine. Nothing back on the pipe or the rigging.

Would do it again. 

I never put up a batting cage, however I have been surprised at how many people I know own a Bobcat or have access to one. My dentist has one and I have an open invitation to use it or he will bring it over if needed. He bought it when they were doing some major work at his house. He does not use it much anymore, however he keeps it around for friends and family to use. I would just pay for Gas and upkeep.

So if you want the Nuclear option , you may be able to borrow one. 

Years ago, had a custom tunnel made by SPI-Nets, out of South Padre Island, Texas.   Custom ordered it 10' wide, 10' tall, 20' long, to fit inside our 2-car garage, in the space of a 1-car spot.  Hung it from ceiling in about 15-mins.  Was not crazy expensive........like $250?  They will make any size you want.  They used to have a "customizing calculator" on their website so you could plug in the size you want and see what the price will be.  Not sure if that's still there?  

Here's their website: SPI-Nets

Son got a lot of use out of it.  Most extravagant activity was front soft toss, from behind a 4x6 screen, and everything less than that.   

The indoors location made it 365-247 accessible.  And as it was simply hung from ceiling via eye-screws and black rubber "bungies" with S-hooks on each end,  I never needed to do any serious Bobcat work, digging post holes, etc.  

Word of CAUTION: make sure you unplug your garage door opener, if you've hung your batting cage net inside the bay.  Never happened to me, but would be a CATASTROPHIC event if garage door goes up via motor, and the batting cage net is hanging.  Hence I always un-plugged the motor driven opener when netting was in place.

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach

I made my own using 6x6 treated wood posts on the corners, 3 vinyl coated wires run length wise, net held in place by carabiners. I only had 40’ to work with, so the net is 35x12x12. Hardest part was digging holes for the concrete bases. Very much worth the investment, we are in Southern California, so we are out there year round. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

I made one out of electrical conduit - 70 feet long and either 12 or 14 feet wide( cant remember anymore). Bought the connectors on line from batting cages USA. Bought solar lights from Home Lighting ( 4 of them) and attached them to telescopic flag poles. (Did most of it myself - Im almost 5'2". )

Have had to rebuild it several times as at first we had a hurricane that blew it away.Then after I tied it down with deep stakes into the ground, an ice storm and snow caused it to collapse. Bought a Hack attack Jr. for use in the cage.Even though now my kid is a PO and we just look at the empty cage in the back it was all worth it and it looks pretty at night lol.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.