Skip to main content

What batting gloves out there right now seem to really last?  What care for the gloves seems to help them last?

Son was going through batting gloves very quickly until we finally bought a pair of Bruce Bolts.  We got about 3 offseason months with those before a large tear developed (which means they actually lasted MUCH longer than most brands we'd tried prior).  He dries his gloves after use outside of the bag.  It now appears that even those need to be replaced.

Last edited by ILoveBaseball04
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Buy them at Dick’s, get the $3.99 protection plan, when they fail (within 90 days, typically), take them in and get a free replacement; Buy the $3.99 plan on the replacement. Rinse/Repeat.

I typically never buy protection plans but this has worked for my son (spending his own money). He will do 10,000+ hacks in 90 days, and the actuarial tables on warranty plans are probably based on kids who hack less, lose gloves, change fashion, lose receipts. YMMV.

@Long415 posted:

Buy them at Dick’s, get the $3.99 protection plan, when they fail (within 90 days, typically), take them in and get a free replacement; Buy the $3.99 plan on the replacement. Rinse/Repeat.

I typically never buy protection plans but this has worked for my son (spending his own money). He will do 10,000+ hacks in 90 days, and the actuarial tables on warranty plans are probably based on kids who hack less, lose gloves, change fashion, lose receipts. YMMV.

^^^This. Been doing this and it's financially the way to go because my son will ultimately destroy any pair of gloves with repeated use.

My son used to wear through gloves all the time. All the gloves from the big store manufacturers used to last a couple of weeks at the most.  The glove he has been using for the past year and half has been the ProSway padded glove. Those seem to last him much longer than any other glove he has used. ProSway will frequently run deals, usually 20% off from time to time. During the holidays they will usually get to 40% for Black Friday or close to Christmas. We usually stock up during those times. I think he has five pairs sitting in his room right now. Should last him all high school season and be able to take a few pairs with him to college in the fall.

Last edited by ARCEKU21

Perhaps the Dick's warranty program is really a YMMV, because when we tried to use the warranty, we received a song and dance about needing to mail in the gloves to some separate company to wait to be "approved" (our store washed their hands of it, as we were told the warranty was through a completely separate company).  Son still needed gloves for games that week, so it simply did not seem worth the hassle they were describing. 

Palmguard batting gloves have been very durable for son.  First, he needs XXL and their XXL really fit him well.  I buy him 2 pair per year...one pair lasts from about January til the end of the season (May)...The other pair lasts about from summer ball through fall ball.  I pay appx. $25-$30 per pair. Hes used Palmguard since he was a freshman in hs (he's now a college junior)

A few things to keep in mind with batting gloves...

Generally, thicker leather lasts longer but you lose feel with thick leather.  Similarly, gloves with pads tend to be thicker and hold up longer but it is an entirely different feel using gloves with pads and ones without.  Feel matters to discernible hitters.

I think the Dick's protection plan is a good idea if it can be executed.  Maybe buy two pair and rotate when one is being sent back?

@cabbagedad posted:

A few things to keep in mind with batting gloves...

Generally, thicker leather lasts longer but you lose feel with thick leather.  Similarly, gloves with pads tend to be thicker and hold up longer but it is an entirely different feel using gloves with pads and ones without.  Feel matters to discernible hitters.

I think the Dick's protection plan is a good idea if it can be executed.  Maybe buy two pair and rotate when one is being sent back?

good point CD.  Those warstics I mentioned are like gardening gloves on the palm side.  I once asked them if the thickness bothers them, they said no.  But I could see it be an issue for some hitters.  kinda like too much padding on a grip.

I do two pairs with the Dick's replacement plan on both, but I don't buy them on the same day. I spread it out by about 1 month. The more expensive the gloves, the more expensive the replacement plan. Also some stores do not carry much of a selection year round and they've made it an absolute pain in the behind to add a replacement plan to online purchases. Just keep in mind that each brand has a warranty, which they'll make you utilize first before applying the Dick's replacement plan.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.