Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Baum bats are known for their durability, but they do also have some serious pop.  They weren't allowed in PG and other events for a while, but were then were later approved.  Son's travel team had a deal with Baum, and won a WWBA tourney with majority of the kids swinging Baum, including a few clutch walk off home runs.  Son swung Baum for several years as his "go to bat".  Having said that, I totally get the mental side of what you are swinging, but IMO, Baum bats are a great bat and great value.  As a side note, son loves swinging his pro LS maple bats now when he can...

@Senna posted:

Not what you’d call a purist, but allowing Baums in wood tourneys is BS. And it isn’t just the pop on barrelled balls, but how they allow even non-squared balls to get places they never would off a maple....

That’s one of the cons. Want something where that can’t happen and you have to square the ball up perfectly. What’s the most durable non-baum?

Yes , the durability

Demarini makes some wood/composite bats that are worth looking at. The nice thing about them is that they have different turns to choose from. That said my son played in a college league last summer. He has a pretty big swing so we have always went with, and already had, a Demarini composite. So we took a chance and bought a Victus bat with the ProPact finish. To my surprise that bat made it through the summer, and that was facing a few pitchers throwing mid 90's. The kid ended up letting some of his teammates use the Demarini they were going through so many bat's. I'm a big fan of Victus bats.

That’s one of the cons. Want something where that can’t happen and you have to square the ball up perfectly. What’s the most durable non-baum?

IMO, you get what you pay for. I see kids breaking $50-75 bats a lot. My son has been using the Victus Pro Reserve JC24 for a couple years and has only broken one, and that was in BP because the coach was forcing them to hit oppo and kept jamming him.

It's the Indian not the Arrow. Baseball is mental so if it feels good to him then then let him use one.

Very durable but they do break sometimes, son used one for several years during his wood bat tournament days and summer wood bat league and liked it. I think he went through two bats in about 3-4 years. 

Older son is a contact hitter and loves his Baum bat.  Used the white and then the gold.  Loved the balanced feel,  similar to his Rawlings Velo.  He has hit with it for a couple of years.

Younger son is a power hitter and hated the Baum bat.  He likes end loaded bats. He used the Marucci AP5 hybrid and loved it.  He broke 3 of them, not worth the $$$. Got two of them cheap because they were discontinuing the stock.  Switched to the Marucci Bringer of Rain wood bat and hasn't broken one yet, 6+ months and hits with it every day.

Baum now offers an end loaded option but I'm not signing up for a maybe. Your mileage may vary.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.