Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Can the administration at Baylor ever get anything right?

- 2 game suspension for 14 players 

- 2 games will be spread out over a 3 week span

- They've known since May and waited until a week until opening day the following calendar year to dish out suspensions. 

I don't care what they did and I'm not arguing for their guys to get suspensions but just suspend them or don't at all. 2 games clearly means nothing. Then over 3 weeks. Those are just off days. And on top of that they've known for 9 months now. Either they did nothing or the school just can't get out of its own way regarding athlete discipline. You'd think after football they would try to avoid this. 

Agree PABaseball.  This amounts to a begrudging slap on the wrist to make the coaching staff look like they took this infraction seriously.    If I didn't know any better it looks like they are going to put their bench players into some meaningless non-conference games or prohibit 14 players from practicing for a couple weeks to check the box with the Administration and NCAA.  The first word that comes to my mind is pathetic.  

I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about Baylor's athletic program and very little about the college itself except their graduate medical programs.   However, they seem to repeatedly find the headlines (not in a good way) quite a bit over the last 5 years, and haven't learned much from their mistakes.   This may be a systemic or cultural issue at the top.  Hopefully they have their sh*t together by the time my future grandkids are considering undergrad and and grad school.

JMO.

PABaseball posted:

Can the administration at Baylor ever get anything right?

- 2 game suspension for 14 players 

- 2 games will be spread out over a 3 week span

- They've known since May and waited until a week until opening day the following calendar year to dish out suspensions. 

I don't care what they did and I'm not arguing for their guys to get suspensions but just suspend them or don't at all. 2 games clearly means nothing. Then over 3 weeks. Those are just off days. And on top of that they've known for 9 months now. Either they did nothing or the school just can't get out of its own way regarding athlete discipline. You'd think after football they would try to avoid this. 

I'll take "can't get out of its own way regarding athlete discipline" for $400, Alex.

This is right up there with SEC football coaches benching players for the first half against Whottsamottah U.

The entertaining part of this are the strong statements by the school they have things under control after BS penalties that don’t harm the program one bit. No one learns anything except the program will be protected, 

Last edited by RJM

well, as long as the school assures that no drugs or alcohol were involved...I have a hard time imagining a hazing scenario where alcohol isn't involved. Their explicit denial there raises a flag for me...

Here is what Baylor has as far as hazing goes on their website for the general student population...great at defining it and indicating who could be given immunity from prosecution...a little lacking on the penalties or even indicating there is a penalty structure for hazing

https://www.baylor.edu/student...s/index.php?id=32286

I am not the kind of guy who doesn't understand that boys will be boys and things get blown out of proportion sometimes...but not having a real stated consequence policy that is easily found seems a little "head in the sand" to me

Last edited by collegebaseballrecruitingguide

Let me start by saying that I’m historically not a fan of anything to do with Baylor. But I have heard and seen nothing but good things about Baseball HC Steve Rodriguez. He appears to be building a competitive program the right way. In the case of the incident in question all that exists is a bunch of speculation. I have heard from a reliable source that alcohol was not involved in whatever happened. I think that there is a significance to the fact that those that were “disciplined” were named as upperclassmen. To me that insinuates that a freshman may have gotten an attitude adjustment in some form. Coaching staff almost certainly knew nothing about it until after the fact. That kinda stuff goes on in every sport and in any program. Maybe players went over the line and maybe they didn’t. Nobody on this board knows. In today’s climate of guilty until proven innocent schools often take action when the facts dictate none is required but the social climate screams otherwise. 

adbono posted:

Let me start by saying that I’m historically not a fan of anything to do with Baylor. But I have heard and seen nothing but good things about Baseball HC Steve Rodriguez. He appears to be building a competitive program the right way. In the case of the incident in question all that exists is a bunch of speculation. I have heard from a reliable source that alcohol was not involved in whatever happened. I think that there is a significance to the fact that those that were “disciplined” were named as upperclassmen. To me that insinuates that a freshman may have gotten an attitude adjustment in some form. Coaching staff almost certainly knew nothing about it until after the fact. That kinda stuff goes on in every sport and in any program. Maybe players went over the line and maybe they didn’t. Nobody on this board knows. In today’s climate of guilty until proven innocent schools often take action when the facts dictate none is required but the social climate screams otherwise. 

We also understand in today's climate, just because you can't get the fact due to the clam effect, where there is smoke there is normally fire.

The suspensions are a way to say they were just doing boy things.   Note, this has nothing to due to social climate as for our climate has remained the same, the behavior of man does not change, only the technology used to enhance said behavior.

CollegebaseballInsights posted:
adbono posted:

We also understand in today's climate, just because you can't get the fact due to the clam effect, where there is smoke there is normally fire.

The suspensions are a way to say they were just doing boy things.   Note, this has nothing to due to social climate as for our climate has remained the same, the behavior of man does not change, only the technology used to enhance said behavior.

I know more about this than I can say publicly. But I can say that your comments are pretty generic and don’t apply in this situation as much as you think. 

adbono posted:
CollegebaseballInsights posted:
adbono posted:

I know more about this than I can say publicly. But I can say that your comments are pretty generic and don’t apply in this situation as much as you think. 

Generic yes.  Seems there was a complaint, said freshman weren't going to accept certain actions by upperclassman and made a compliant.  There was something to the compliant and the way to squash it was to provide some token suspension, so not to impact the 2020 season. 

It is called trying to move on.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.