Skip to main content

Deemax:

As a sporadic poster, I’ve just learned of this news and I’m simply stunned. I traded occasional posts with your father on this and other sites and he was the rarest combination: A straight shooter from the old school with a mind open to everything new and promising. He cut all intellectual bs down to size and I loved him for it.

I hope you gain some measure of comfort from the story that this thread tells – your father was truly loved and his contributions cherished. He was the definition of a baseball man.
Deemax...I am just hearing the news of your father's passing. My heart goes out to you and your family. I knew your Dad only through this website. But he and I became good friends. During several discussions on this website about some pretty sensitive issues, your father would send me a private message and share things with me regarding his personal beliefs and values that he would prefer not to share on a public message board. He was a man of integrity. I was honored that he felt comfortable enough to talk to me. He will be sorely missed. May his soul rest in peace and may the peace of God be with him.
Last edited by Catfish
Nats Dedicate Draft To McMillan
Posted Jun. 7, 2007 6:42 pm by Chris Kline
Filed under: Draft Day: June 7

From BA’s Washington correspondent Lacy Lusk:

National crosschecker Chuck LaMar said the club’s draft was dedicated to scout Doug McMillan, who died May 23 of natural causes at age 60, according to reports. McMillan, who scouted the Pacific Northwest and Northern California, worked for the organization for six years. His son Brett is a first baseman at low Class A Hagerstown.
deemax...

With heartfelt sadness of the news about "bbscout", your dad, , their are several websters on the hsbbweb that have earned the utmost respect through the years and bbscout is at "the top" of that list.

Good, friendly advice attracts so many and the mannerisms in which your dad responded in his posts to our websters set a high standard far, far above what the creator of the hsbbweb, Bob Howdeshell, wished us all to address one another in this tone.

deemax, maybe you have noticed the signature on the bottom of my posts. Well, let me tell you, it was your dad and other websters on this wonderful site that caused me to sign my posts in this manner.

Learning day by day on the hsbbweb...

God bless your father, family and friends and may bbscout rest in peace.
Last edited by MWR-VA
Wow I am just stunned. I came by to see what was happening in the draft and saw this sad news.

Deemax - I can't tell you how wonderful your dad was to me and my son as we navigated through the HS and college world of baseball. He always had time for any question and was always willing to go out of his way.

Your dad and your family are in my prayers.
It was these two days of the draft that brought me back to the hsbaseballweb, I was so stunned to read about your dad. I feel like I've lost a wonderful friend and I never met your dad but he was generous and thoughtful with his advice and patient with all of us who were navigating unchartered waters. God called him home and it is much too soon. My family will keep your family in our prayers as you go through this most difficult time. Thank you for sharing your dad with us.
Last edited by turn2mom
Julie - I just saw the tribute caption you put up to bbscout under the Going Pro heading. Wonderful thoughts and ideas that honors him well.

Everyday when I log on, I look for his screen name to appear and sadly we'll never see it again. It was comforting in knowing we had someone like that as one of our members.

deemax and beemax - your Dad will always be fondly remembered. Someday, you will see him again.
Deemax, I was also shocked and deeply saddened by your loss, our loss. Your dad was kind enough to respond privately to my naive questions, with a professionaly caring demeanor; the baseball questions too embarrasing to ask publicly. He unselfishly benefited folks with the wisdom only gained from living "the life".

I was out of town watching college baseball and off-line when he passed away and several days following. Please accept our belated, but sincerest condolences. We miss you Doug.

The Glasses
Last edited by Dad04
I've obviously been away for awhile. I spent a good while till i found this thread.

Some believe each time a loved one who's passed is mentioned or thought of fondly it gives them a little something wherever they are.

Your Dad was class in everything he said and the way he handled it...his opinion and advice were golden
Julie ...

Funny (not ha ha funny) you should make this post ... I was thinking of Doug just the other day, not realizing it has been a year since he passed. There have been several times in the past few weeks where I have felt like saying "Where is bbscout when we need him ???" Always a man of integrity who was not afraid to speak his mind and offer his opinions and valuable advice. Didn't always agree with him, but loved his delivery and his knowledge of the game. It was my great honor to have had the chance to meet him when AJ was in college ... he was always a ray of sunshine, even if he were witnessing a not-so-sunny outing for my son.

I know Doug's family must miss him immensely and I only hope they can take some solace in knowing how much he was loved.

Mary Ann
DOUG;

This weekend my son and I drove south to San Diego for Goodwill Series tryout. This was an 8 hour drive each way from Sonoma County.
During the drive my son, Robert a SSK MLB promotions manager, talked about delivering SSK bats to Dustin Pedroia *Red Sox].

This provided memories of Doug, our Area Code team GM and our personal debate as to the tools of this "young" man. Doug never waived in his projection for Dustin.

When I watch Dustin play, I will always think of Doug and his confidence in Dustin.

Bob
Yes this was Doug McMillian, His sons went to Ponderosa, I just was talking to my sons highschool coach and we were just blown away that we won at this time of year. It was special but this made it more special. There was an angel carrying that ball over the fence.I heard both the boys were touched by the win.Life works in such strange, sad and wondeful ways.
quote:
Originally posted by fanofgame:
I am pretty sure Dougs sons Dale and Brent attended Ponderosa HS. before my son. Dale was a pitching coach there and he knew my son as a freshmen before he moved.. Yesterday Ponderosa won their first ever section title. Maybe Doug was watching over us.

I just so happened to be at the game, and I was on the phone with my brother when it happened. An emotional moment for us because we both attended Poderosa and we still have ties there, especially to the coaches. I'm sure my Dad was smiling, and maybe he had something to do with that pitcher throwing an 0-2 fastball down the middleSmile

-Brett McMillan
Last edited by beemax

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.