Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In the Kempsville-Landstown game, David Hewitt threw 5 innings and gave up only 2 hits and one run. David Wickre led off the game with a double and had a hit in the fourth which plated the go ahead run. Matt Little had a double in the decisive fourth. This game was closer than the final score. It was 1-1 into the fourth before the Landstown pitching fell apart and the Kempsville hitters caught fire. Each team made 1 error, so both defenses played pretty well.

The "bunt" is a powerful weapon!
First Colonial 12 Landstown 2

R Fee started, G Bulman pitched 4 shut out innings in relief, Muller finished with a 1,2,3 7th. Cruit 3 hits, 2 doubles and 6 rbi's, Muller 2 hits, 3 rbi's, F Berry 2 hits and M Shipp had 2 hits. Tough outfieders day with the wind. Both team got some offensive help with wind blown balls falling in play. Landstown put in a good effort, the little lefty Crain is pretty crafty pitcher out there. Landstowns centerfielder ran down a Muller drive just left of the 380 marker to end the 7th, outstanding D-play. Burrrr it was COLD!

fc v dad

Last edited {1}
Kellam 11, Tallwood 0
Steve Aggone pitched 3 perfect innings, followed by Sean Ray's 2 hitless innings. It was a combined no hitter for Kellam.
Kellam hit the ball well, "earning" 8 out of their 11 runs scored, and committing no errors in the field.
First Tallwood pitcher, (lefty, and unsure of the name) threw well, but Kellam's bats were too much for him. 4th inning, Cooper came in relief, but was met with the same aggressive style of offense from the Knights.
Kellam plays at Bayside on Tuesday.
EagleOne,
Just curious but how could an 11-1, 5 inning game that Landstown had 2 hits be closer than the score indicates? And when the game ended weren't runners on base?

I also noticed on one of your other posts you were putting down KHS program and coach. I take it your a Landstown fan. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. How many times has Landstown been in the playoffs or regions? At the rate there going it will be years. Eagleone you better start worring about Landstown's program because it's in real trouble.
khs04:
You're right, as the name implies, I am a Landstown Eagles fan, nothing to hide there. As for "closer than the score indicates", the game blew up at the end. As for KHS, I am a fan of them as well, I went there, played ball and started all of my years there, won 2 state championships there, my father went there, and 2 of my sons went there and I still live in their district and I have coached most of the starters on the KHS team.

Not bragging, I just want you to know where I am coming from.

As for Landstown's program, you are absolutely right, they have a long way to go. But Kempsville has lost a lot of players to transfer over the past 4-5 years, very good players, and that, in my opinion, is a big problem. Until they fix that problem, they will have a hard time returning to the glory days they had back in the 70's.

Last edited {1}
Eagleone,
Were're not living in the 70's anylonger there are 11 HS at the beach now. Kempsville once pulled players from areas that Tallwood, Salem, Green Run & Landstown are pulling from now. I don't think there will ever be schools winning state championships like the Kempsville teams of the 70's. As far as Kempsville having problems with players transfering, I think they have had 5 players in the last 6 years transfer. ***** (do you think his aau coach had something to do with that, what's his name) ****** (left for football reasons and NOT BASEBALL and that's a fact) ****** (who nows why, he would have had more of a role at Kempsville than he ended up haveing at Kellam. Next year will make 5 schools in five years. ****** who nows why, but he did play as a shoph and would have started as a Jr . ****** started opening day for Kempsville in '03 and was given every chance from the way I understand it but just kept having bad outings he couldn't throw strikes and when he did he got hit hard. Didn't he have a brother that transferred? I guess some people always like to put the blame on someone else. I think he should have changed pithching coaches years ago.

What do the mames (multiple names) have in common? I can go on and on with names of players that have transferred, this is a growing trend. Whatever the reason let's not lay it on the coaches because I don't think you really know what's going on first hand, you are only going on second hand information. There is no one that works harder and cares more about ALL his players than the coach at Kempsville. Eagleone comments like yours about coaches and programs are not needed. Remember this is HS sports these coaches dedicate themselves to teaching and coaching for a lot less money than most of the want a be coaches out there. So unless a coaches is abusing our young athletes lets cut them some slack.

edited by redbird5

Last edited {1}
Doc:
I don't know what the number of high schools has to do with winning state championships. Every school is sharing some of their old territory with other schools. They each have fairly similar size student bodies, just as they did in the 70's. I never said why these players transferred and, obviously, you don't know all of the reasons. There are probably other reasons besides the obvious ones. But it is a known fact that Kempsville has had more than their share of quality players transferring. As for ***** changing pitching coaches, do you know who his pitching coach is? If you don't then why would you say he should have changed?

And let's not forget ******** who transferred to FC.

Last edited {1}
Bottomline is there will be transfers every year. Every player has his reasons and I don't feel they should be penalized for doing what they think is in their best interest. Every coach has his own philosopy and each player has to except it or basically transfer. You have to remember you have to play in order to even be looked at by colleges and you may be playing for a coach that feels your not good enough or maybe you are good enough and your just simply an underclassman. Either way I feel these players have the right to transfer if they feel it will help to further their baseball career as well as get them to go to college. Maybe people should stop worrying so much about what other players do. Tell me would any high school coach turn down a Winfree or and Upton? I think not.
There is nothing wrong with rushing to the defense of something you care about when you feelit has been verbally attacked. But I believe, after viewing these ‘highly-charged’ reactions, some points were entirely misinterpreted.

1. The baseball phrase “The game was closer than the final score” is a widely used term that means Hey! For more than half of the game we had that much more powerful, gee I wish we could upset, heavily favored to thump us team worrying about us. Then reality took over and we did get drubbed! It sure felt good when the score was 1-1 though.

2. “People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.”???
The nice thing about this site is that you can easily go back and view all the previous posts of an author. If some had done that on EagleOne’s 100+ posts you would have discovered at least two themes:

o Positive comments and knowledgeable resources provided for all the young talent and/or coaches in this area to learn or enjoy

o All comments are purposeful and to the point

These could not come from a person that lives in a glass house. Therefore, his house must have solid walls and solid floors. Actually, EagleOne has shown more genuine concern for the players and program at Kempsville HS than the comments of his attackers! This is called the “I argued for your point that I was sorely against, and I didn’t even know it” syndrome.
p.s. Glass houses are illegal at the Beach, anyway, due to hurricane codes and seagulls.

3. “Were’re not living in the 70’s any longer.”
Thank the stars above and the ground below. The clothes, the hair, the music…did I mention the hair?
HS baseball in the 70’s was over 80% of your stepping stone to the next level.
Luckily, this is the new millennium and while HS baseball can still help expose/prepare you for the next level, it definitely won’t be your only or even main representative/instructor.

So stop transferring and be true to your school. Enjoy your friendships and team solidarity, and get a solid education. Keep improving your baseball skills with all available resources. And we’ll see ya at the next level.

Support your team first, and then go watch and support another team.
And when you see a HS coach, even if you don’t particularly care for his/her coaching skills, say thanks for all the time and effort spent. They are doing their best…
bbndb,
nice post ! did you change careers ? have you begun writing for any publications that i might be able to subscribe to ?
doc,
eagleone does not need me to come to his defense, but i must simply say that he has contributed much to our area becoming a wonderful place for our young men to excel in the sport of baseball ! even if he is a relic from the 70's, he remains a class act with much to offer for everyone.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.