Skip to main content

I took my son to a Padre game for his 5th birthday.The plan was to get down to park around 4:30, watch some bp have a hotdog, be home before the 3rd inning maybe a little longer if he was still going strong.

After arriving at the park we ran around chasing foul balls and hrs from bp, had a bite to eat. and found our seats, front row 3rd base line. Game starts and he sits through the first 9 innings no problem, with the usual breaks for cotton candy, ice cream another dog and some Padre gear. Have some fun with the mascot and snag a foul ball in the 7th.

The game goes into extra innings and he's still going strong. It's 11:00 pm. The game finally ends in the 11th. We sit, the lights are going down and we sit, The usher comes over and says it's time to leave.

He looks at me with his eyes wellin up and starts to cry in disbelief. IT'S OVER.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There are many between playing, coaching and coaching and watching my son. The best memory not about my son would be the kid who thanked me at his football NLI press conference for helping straighten out his life when he was a fourteen year old baseball player. This kid had tough circumstances and was mad at life.

Even though my son is in high school now, I like this one about him. It's his first LL Majors all-star at-bat when he was eleven. Don't ask me why but he was waving the bat like Sheffield. I shook my head. I told a friend/another dad to yell at him to use his own swing when he came up the next time. I won't coach my kids from the stands. My son hit a double on one hop to the fence. When he came up the next time the friend asked me what I wanted him to yell. I responded, "Go Sheffield!" He hit a triple off the fence his next at-bat and his first LL home run the following at-bat. It cleared the maintenance shed behind the fence. As he approached home he called out in his best Harry Kalas (Phils announcer) "That onnnnnnes outtaaaah herrrrre."

After the game I asked my son about the Sheffield stuff. Very matter of factly he responded, "It works for him. I thought I'd try it."
Coaching my son's Little League Major Baseball team. It was a playff game and we had a kid coming up to lead off the inning, that had not had a hit all season long. It was late in the game, we were down by and we really need this kid to get on. This kid always looked to get on base with a walk ( but mostly struck out) and usually would not take a good cut, no matter how much we told him to go up there and look for a hit, just swing away.

So before he went up to bat, I told him that I was going to let him use one of my son's special bat. My son had had an old Easton triple 777. I told my son to get his special bat for his teammate to use. My son caught on quickly and made a big deal about turning over his "special" bat.

Of course the kid goes up and one hops the fence for a ground rule double and ends up getting to score the tying run later in the inning.

I have witnessed many special things done by my son on a baseball field, some very special memories, but this memory will always rank right up there among the best. My son and still talk about that special bat and that day.
I like the ones with my kids the best...as many of you do I am sure.

But I also like this one from my own childhood...playing against "Michael's Conkrete," best team in Greater Cincinnati (age 13 or 14 I would guess)...pitcher throwin' gas. I come up, bases loaded, ball looks like a beachball comin' in, straight over the plate, I hit a gapper into right-center for a triple to clear the bases. My teammates go crazy and geez that felt good! Big Grin

I have no idea why that memory sticks out in my mind...but it does, so I'd have to rank it the "best."
As a Player:

Getting that first grey blue flannel uniform, blue hat and blue and white stirrups.....A $1000 hand made suit never could feel so good...

Batting in a meaningless game and seeing my father on the hill watching...you see taking time off work meant less money for the family and wasnt something that could be done very often...

The last homerun I ever hit came in an adult softball game, which ended the game...and I was able to scoop up my 6 month old son and walk off the field...

As a Parent...

Seeing my son sleeping in his uniform...

Seeing the joy and smiles on my sons face through out his youth career...

Walking out on Senior Day with my wife and son...

Seeing my sons first and last College ball game...

Seeing my sons first college ball game as a coach.

As an Umpire...

The worst day....the one I run over and over again in my mind.. the day I realized that child abuse was real and I had to do something....

The day I heard from the stands, Hey, Mr. Umpire!...you dont remember me, but you umpired my games...and thats my son playing now....O Yes I remember you...and everyone of you...

The day I turned a corner in Wal Mart, and a kid said........hey arent you MY UMPIRE???.......Yes, I am...
quote:
Getting that first grey blue flannel uniform, blue hat and blue and white stirrups
Remember when kids had to "make" LL? When I played LL was 10-12 with a handful of 9yo's. Kids who didn't make it played farms. Earning a LL hat was a badge of honor. I wore mine to school every day when I was nine. Heck, I wore it everywhere.
My son is 10 years old. One of the few years I helped coach. We draft a kid and are told he was just cleared to play sports after battling leukemia and was a hair away from dieing a couple of years earlier.
The kid had a great attitude and was actually pretty good but small due to his illness stunting his growth. He played SS most of the time. Everytime that kid smiled or did something good it made me smile.

Well we make it to the championship game. As we get closer to the end of the game with the lead this kid is jumping up and down with every out. We win the game and the kids do their thing with the dog pile and running around the field and I start to choke up. I had to leave the field before trophy presentation so these 10 yos don't see this big goofey guy standing there with tears running down his face. That kid made my year.

Of all the games my son played during those LL years that's the one I enjoyed the most.
quote:
Remember when kids had to "make" LL? When I played LL was 10-12 with a handful of 9yo's. Kids who didn't make it played farms. Earning a LL hat was a badge of honor. I wore mine to school every day when I was nine. Heck, I wore it everywhere.

O... I sure do, getting a uniform was a big thing....there were only 15 kids on my team....because they only had 15 uniforms....if you got a uniform you made it....if not better luck next year...... there was no farm team....make it and play or get cut and try again next year.....
Ahh yes..back in the day when you could get cut trying to make LL. I remember playing baseball in the back yard when my mom came out to tell me I had made the Tigers...I was grinning from ear to ear. The woollen uniforms weren't very comfortable though!! Nor were the true stirrups we wore.

Justbaseball - Your story is almost a carbon copy of mine. We were in the 7th inning of a tied game and the bases were loaded with two outs (my coach didn't like me..couldn't tell you why..just did) and the coach asks who was up and bookkeeper said "Robert" and my coach goes.."great Robert" so I go up there against Danny Carlin of the Orioles (funny how we remember the particulars)and drill a ball off the center field fence missing my 1st homerun ever by a foot (fence was 8' high then). I cleared the bases with a double..should have been a triple but I hopped up and down all the way to second like Dave Henderson did after hitting the homerun in the 1986 ALCS against California. Big Grin

My favorite game for my son was our 1st playoff game in Cooperstown in 2007. We had given up back to back hr's to go down 6-5 in the top of the 6th and were down to our last out. Son is up and swings at strike one which was a tad high and outside. Second pitch goes to the same spot and same result a swing and a miss strike 2. Now I'm keeping the book in the dugout and I'm dying that my kid is about to make the last out when the pitcher throws pitch #3 to the same location again, well this time son makes an adjustment and rifles it over the right field fence for the game tying HR. My book goes flying as I race out of the dugout jumping up and down for my kid and the team as the other team was celebrating a tad early at the beginning of the inning. Game was still tied 6-6 in the 8th when leadoff guy walked, stole second and my son came up and laced a double off the centerfield wall to win the game. His confidence after that was sky high and it was awesome to see him shine like that.... a true proud parent day!!
I could write a hundred of these but this one would be in the top 10 probably.
I'm taking my son to his first ever organized ball game. It's coach pitch and there are 2 diamonds at the complex he's playing at. As we get there the game ahead of us is in progress. I am calmly looking around for our team and then I suddenly can't find my son.
Where did he wander off to? I finally find him; he's ON the field, between 1st and 2nd with his glove and getting in the ready position on every pitch!!

I guess he just joined the game! it was pretty comical.

Good thread folks, keep 'em coming.
I have so many. One of my favorites took place when my youngest son was 12 and we were playing in the state AAU championships. We were playing in the semis and for a chance to play for the state championship the next day. We were down 3 runs in our last ab. Our lead off hitter was up and hit a solo HR to cut the lead to 2. He now he is a freshman mif at VMI. Our #2 hitter comes up and he hits a HR to cut the lead to 1. He is now a Pitcher at Wingate College. Our #3 hitter comes up and he hits a HR to tie the game. He was drafted out of HS and is with Tampa as a pitcher as well. They then go to the pen and bring in a guy to try to put out the fire. Our #4 hitter is my son. With a full count he hits a monster shot out to win the game. He is now a freshman catcher at UNC. I have never seen anything like it and probaly will never again. Four HR's in a row to win the game.

I think back to the game and there were so many young guys that have gone on to play in college. The other team had a mif drafted in the first round. Their C is a freshman at UNCW. Their 1B is a freshman at USC Upstate. The CF is now a LB at Georgia I believe. It was absolutely an amazing game and a great memory.
Last edited by Coach May
I remember driving down to Jupiter for USA Baseball's JO's East in 2005. Midlo Son asks, "Hey dad, what if I were one of the 18 guys they picked as finalists for Team USA?"

I explained that such things were pipe dreams, like when he was 12 and we dreamed of his LL team going to Williamsport. The odds were ridiculous, too many things needed to fall your way at once, and besides, he was only 15 in a 16u tourney. Put it out of your mind and just focus on doing your best.

The following Friday, when they told him he'd been selected for trials in Phoenix, our mouths dropped so wide open neither one of us could speak. Probably the only time in my life that has been the case!

He didn't make the final cut then, and being slowed by a temporary foot injury knocked him out at trials the next year, too. But we still cherish those photos in the Team USA uniform.
For me...getting to be bat boy for the Reds in a 1971 Exhibition game during Spring Training.

For me as a dad...wow...tough one. Probably this past summer when my son got to play in the CPL...going from playing in front of a handful of people in college and summer ball to over 1000. Yeah...I was a nervous wreck his first AB.
quote:
I sure do, getting a uniform was a big thing....there were only 15 kids on my team....because they only had 15 uniforms....if you got a uniform you made it....if not better luck next year...... there was no farm team....make it and play or get cut and try again next year.....
Then after earning the uni, you had to earn playing time. We didn't have minimum playing time. I think I played in half the games and got ten plate appearances when I was nine. It was OK. The good twelve year old pitchers scared me to death. One was six feet and bringing it in the upper 70's. Thing is, he wasn't much different by high school.
Last edited by RJM
Thursday night, my son gets hurt in a collision at the plate in a game for his travel team (he was safe though.) Sunday his (right) wrist is still hurting a little, but he wants to play for his rec team. Usually he pitches three innings for them, but this day he's in too much pain after the first inning -- the weight of his glove on his hand is killing him. Coach sends him out to the outfield, where he puts his glove on the ground and sees no action. At the plate, all he can do is bunt, and his second time up, he bunts the third strike foul.

So it's the 6th inning, bases loaded, he comes up. They're screaming "Watch the bunt," and we are losing by a lot. The pitch comes in, he swings away -- a line drive over the center fielder's head. Grand slam homerun. Not enough to win the game, but enough to puff him up a little.

The punch line is, I took him to the doctor the next day, and we find out the arm is broken in two places. The coach gave us the score sheet so he can always remember the day he hit a grand slam with a broken arm.

LHPMom
Best baseball memory, thats a tough one.
But one comes to mind.

Took son to his first MLB game, Maybe 4 or 5 years old.
Went to see the Mariners at the old Kingdome.
If you have ever been there, you see nothing of the field while walking around the corridors.
Until you walk up the ramps to the stadium and the seating.
Were running a little late, and there already playing the National anthem.
We walk up the Ramp right at the end of the song.
To this huge Big Indoor stadium.
Right at that time the Fireworks go off at the top of the inside of the dome.
Sons eye's were wide open.
I do believe he was mesmerized.
Anyway we take in most of the game, and then we start walking around the upper decks.
Its just him and I out there walking around in the Outfield.
Nobody else is out there.
The Kid, Junior, you know KG, Ken Griffey Jr.
He was a god in Seattle at the time.
Between innings Junior is staring at my son and I in the upper deck.
And we waved. He did not wave back.
But I know he wanted to??

EH
Last edited by theEH
I have a lot of bests, but there is, as a parent of a pitcher, one that comes to mind, but not as a pitcher.
HS district playoffs, DK had pitched the game to get us in the playoff a few days earlier so he couldn't pitch, but went in as the DH and hit a HR to win the game to advance to the regionals.

Most precious baseball memory will always be the first day of t-ball, oh the joy and the excitement of playing "real" ball. All those years of preparation....throwing and catching the ball and hitting off of the "T" finally were going to pay off. Wink
Last edited by TPM
Mine is a personal lesson in perspective. Oldest son was 12 and had struck out 18 straight batters over a few games in Little League. Only he and I were aware of that as you would imagine. The would-be 19th was in the batters box and my guy lobs the ball to the plate. Batter swings and misses. I say to him from the dugout "throw the ball." He looks at me with that "be quiet" look. He lobs the next pitch even slower. Now I'm getting angry. I firmly tell him to throw the darn baseball. I get the same look. Next pitch even slower and the batter taps one back toward the mound. Son goes after the ball in slow motion and doesn't make throw. Batter hits first and jumps into the first base coaches arms.

So I'm about to have a stroke when I get the best baseball lesson of my life.

The batter was a wonderful young man with Down Syndrome in my son's class who courageously played Little League baseball. Great kid from a great family. I didn't know he was the batter. My son did. The first base coach was his father. He started to laugh and cry when his son got to him. It was his first hit. My son saw the boys reaction with his dad and looked over at me and smiled.

There are lots of lessons taught by baseball. Perspective is one. Compassion is another. My son had those concepts understood at 12. My best baseball memory was that day, when my son opened my eyes to the simple fact that there are sometimes things more important than a strikeout.
My son's first season making the A team 10 yr old all-stars and in his first tournament, opened up with 7 consecutive hits before he made his first out.

Another was he playing in the Babe Ruth district semi-finals and went 5-5 with 9 rbi's including a grand slam and three doubles.

In high school on varsity during the county tournament, he went 4-5 including a 2-run triple 3 rbi, 3 for 4 in stolen bases and 4 runs scored in an upset win. Of course, in the newspaper is an action shot of him getting picked off at 2B The one time he got caught stealing that game.
Last edited by zombywoof
I've got a few...

- Personally, making my Jr. High School team was really something I'll always remember... Up till that point I was kind of inexperienced, only playing 1 season of organized LL... But I got lucky and hit the only HR in Tryouts, and that, and some hustle, in all honesty got me on the team... Other personal things: Making High-School team...

- My son at age 11 has totally eclipsed my baseball "career" in his short existence... The memories that he's given me so far are incredible: Made 10u Cal Ripken "A" All-Star team as an 8-year-old, Started at SS and Led-off, Hit a HR as an 8-year-old... This past year as a 10-year-old: Hit 2 HR's in a playoff game off the league's best two 13-year-old pitchers, Made 12u "A" All-Star Team, and became their starting SS... Hit numerous HR's in 2008 but the 2 that standout are: a Walk-off 2-Run HR in USSSA, Hit a Grand-Slam in USSSA... Also, he fought back from a shoulder injury this past year as well... Last memory of 2008 - Made the 11u AAU "Juice" team (looking for hopefully even more memories this upcoming 2009 Spring season!)...
Last edited by Bolts-Coach-PR
Great stories. I have loved reading every one of them.

My son was blessed to play for one of the best high school teams in the country. It was ranked as high as 5th in the nation by USA today.

At the end of May his team was 37-3 and had advanced to regional finals -- the last stepping stone to the state tourney.

In the final 3-game series, his team won the first game 9-1 and felt confident going into Game 2. In Game 2, they were ahead 4-2 in the top of the 7th with just 1 out needed to win, but their closer -- who had pitched a CG in Game 1 -- gave up 3 hits and they lost. In Game 3, they were tied at 4 in the 7th. With 2 outs and runners on first and third, their opponent hit a high fly, which the back-up outfielder missed. Game/series/season over.

Early in the season my son had struggled at the plate, so much so that his coach benched him a couple of times. But as the season wore on his bat got stronger and stronger. In the final series, he had 6 RBI and stellar defense, but the look on his face showed that he would have gladly traded his personal success for a team victory.

As he sat dejected in the dugout his normally-stoic coach sat beside him and held him for a while. Then my son got up and looked into the stands. He saw my husband, walked up to him, and collapsed not once, but twice into his arms in tears. All the pent-up emotion came pouring out, and he was pretty much inconsolable for half an hour.

A sad ending? Not really. Looking back, it was an unbelievable ride. And to see my son seek comfort in his dad's arms is a poignant memory I'll cherish forever.
Last edited by Infield08
As a freshman the boy was 5.2 117lbs. He made the J.V team and was a seldom used lhp. A bristling 72 mph fastball (on a good day) a get it over curve ball and a CU filled out the arsenal. Due to a virus that wiped out the starting pitcher that day he was afforded a start.

The consumate thumber he breezes through the first 4 innings. 3k's 9 ground ball outs. Innings 5 and 6, 3 more k's and 3 more ground ball outs. 7th inning 1st batter line shot to ss, 2nd batter strikout #7, 3rd batter, pop up to 1st base.... 79 pitches, 62 strikes, 17 balls, 7k's, no bb, no hits. Perfect Game.

The boy is mobbed on the mound. Fans on both teams are cheering the feat. Coach has his talk with the team and the kids are fired up. The coach gives him the game ball.

As the post game meeting breaks up and the kids disperse. The coach spends a few more minutes with the boy. As he walks back to the dugout to get his gear his head is hanging. We meet him at the gate I asked him what the coach had said. " He said that that was the greatest pitching performance he's every seen from a kid this age, but don't expect to many opportunities becuase he's really looking for power pitchers"

Transfered to another school for his sophmore year.
quote:
He said that that was the greatest pitching performance he's every seen from a kid this age, but don't expect to many opportunities becuase he's really looking for power pitchers"
That's an awful thing for the coach to say that day. Here's some perspective for him to relate too:

A friend's son is with the MLB team to play in the final exhibition games in their home stadium before being sent to AAA. It will be his fourth season since first being called up to AAA in another organization. The MLB GM tells him to keep plugging and he has a good chance to be called up.

The kid gets to AAA. He's not in the lineup. The manager tells him, "I don't care what the GM might have told you. I play the guys I want to help me win and keep my job. He hits .350 with power and never cracks the every day lineup, loses his stroke and finishes the year at .300 in about 250 AB's.
Favorite memory so far would have to be son's freshman year at junior college. When my favorite song came on the speakers, he turned from the dugout, found my eyes and smiled the brightest smile of smiles as we enjoyed a few seconds of a song. Really has nothing to do with baseball or me for that matter, but it was a moment when he took the time to think of someone else and knows that baseball is just one part of his life. Heart-warming to know that after all the years of placing so much focus on him, he maintains his humilty.

As my mother-in-law used to tell me, "an ounce of joy will go a long way with your children" and boy was she on the money.
These are great stories that have been shared.

Baseball played such a large part of our lives, that I honestly can't isolate one memory as the best. The moments that the game gave me between my son and I would have to stand out I suppose. That would include everything from the car rides to tournaments, college recruiting visits, car rides home discussing practices (which I always watched), watching him all winter putting together line ups when a kid right into college.... It gave me a connection to my son as well as a passion that I will enjoy the rest of my life. Baseball is good. Smile
quote:
That would include everything from the car rides to tournaments
I get well eyed every time I think of this. My daughter told me every time she got on a plane or a bus for a college road trip, she thought of our drives to travel tournaments. It's where we did the talking a lot of dads and daughters never get to do.
Gosh. I honestly don't know if I can legibly write a word after reading these incredible stories with my eyes puffed up from near-tears in them. I truly appreciate everyone of your stories. They are heartfelt and I needed to read these today badly.

Coach May....all I can say is wow...that HAD to be a spectacle to behold! Unbelievable.

LPHMom...that story will stay with your son for the rest of his life. What a trooper for going out and trying to play experiencing that kind of pain.

My Top 3:

As a player...when I made the LL team the first time I tried out. It came down to me and one other. When the coach handed the uniform to me he might as well have handed me a treasure of gold! I rushed home to put it on and parade up and down the neighborhood street (dirtroad) until I was sure everyone saw it on me! laughs

As a Dad...2 come to mind.

When younggun was 12yrs old and it was his second season playing, he got to play on a local fall ball team. He was told that since they had plenty of pitching that he might be used as a backup catcher. (it still cracks me up when I saw the expression on his face - A Catcher dad?! lol.) But he said ok as long as he could play ball. Well, things happened and the pitcher that was suppose to pitch got sick and another was out of town, etc. so they asked younggun if he'd like to pitch this game. Heck yes was his response! (over the summer he and I had worked out in the driveway on his pitching mechanics via dick mills pitching series so as to learn how to pitch correctly, etc.) 6 innings of pitching, 16 K's, 2 ground outs, no walks, not hits. A perfect game! I didn't even know what that was until someone told me after the game...lol.

3 years later he is playing in a league that the HS coach had put together for kids that were interested in trying out/playing for the JV. There were about 6 total teams with only 11-12 players each. Boys from the high school came out that might like to play, along with those who could. There was one boy who came that like the other on here had mentioned, had a deformity that made it impossible for him to throw, catch, etc. The other coach always tried to get him in at least 1 AB each game. When they faced us our young pitcher only knew 1 thing and that was to get every batter out. My son was playing 3B this game. I noticed younggun going to the mound when this young player stepped up to bat. A mound visit then jogged back to 3B. I noticed our pitcher lobbing it in and the boy swings and just happens to hit it down 3B line. Younggun makes a dive and "accidentally" goes over the ball, grabs it, and throws a low ball to 1B. The kid was hobbling as fast as he possibly could down the line. Safe! He stood on 1B and jumped up and down! The fans went crazy. I looked over at his mom and she was crying. The dad had a smile on his face that I'll never forget.
Last edited by YoungGunDad
Last summer, 24 was playing on a Junior Legion Team. First week of the season, 24 is an unknown commodity to the coaches, a skinny left handed pitcher. Extra innings, tie game, playing the team that would win the league. Our pitcher who started the bottom of the 8th inning loses it in a hurry and loads the bases with two outs and gets pulled. In comes 24, who bounces half his warm up pitches. By the way, he sometimes has control problems. I can barely look. First pitch, hard fastball on the inside corner for Strike one. Next pitch, hard fastball in on the hands, batter pops it up foul. Inning over. Team pops out of the dugout to Welcome him off the mound. By the time he gets back to the bench, he has a new nick name-"Iceman". After that outing he comes a regular starter for the team.

By the way, the team he pitched against invited 24 to play with them in the national tourney at the end of the year.
I have enjoyed the stories.
For me too many memories.
1.when he was eight and he was drafted up to the minors,from farm, and the look on his face when we drove up the driveway and his dad was standing waiting to tell him.
2.Copperstown
3. all our baseball trips
4.travel ball and the great dinners and time spent with parents and teamamtes
5.when he signed his D1 scholarship(didnt go) but still great memory
6.his first homerun off a player now at Fresno state in the seventh inning to win the game
6.walk off homerun by his teammate to win the first in the history of his HS section championship(I will never forget the looks on those boys faces as long as I live
7.I am awaiting many more as his first college game is Tuesday we will see how it all unfolds
Last edited by fanofgame
Back when my son was 11 and we were playing in the Sectional Championship game, he was the starting pitcher. He pitched all the remaining innings allotted to him and did a great job striking out many batters and just doing a great job. He hit very well and when finished off in his defensive position very well also. He just had a great game, with the team winning 3-1.

The neat thing was that at the conclusion of the game, his coach gave him the game ball, the opposing coach gave him a game ball, and the scorekeeper/announcer gave him a game ball, calling him "Charlie Hustle".

We did not advance beyond the next game but it was a great time.

That was pretty neat, I framed pictures of him pitching and hitting that day along with the 3 game balls.

Hitting his first home run as a 8 year old Rookie was very cool also...

1st College scrimmage this Thursday, I can hardly wait. Son starts at shortstop!
Last edited by floridafan
One more funny story.
Son is 8 years old and in a coach pitch tournament. Game goes into extra innings. The game was exciting as only an 8 yo game can be for a first time BB dad. The balance of world power was at stake!!
Two men (mini men)on and junior up to bat and I'm sitting on the top row of a 4 row portable bleachers.
Son hits a ball over the centerfielders head and I jump up to cheer and, that's right, I fall backwards out of the bleachers on my head. I do a Get Smart jump up and look around quickly and notice that only two little girls had seen me fall. They look like they think I'm nuts. I quickly run around the bleachers to see the winning run score.
Afterwords my buddies ask me what the hell happened, where did I go. I tell them and we all laugh our a s ses off. And will still do.

And that's basically how it all started for me.
Last edited by fillsfan
I finally got to sit down and read through these stories. Thank you all for sharing!

Every story brings back memories for me as well.
Some things I haven't taken the time to reflect on in many years. All of the road trips and greasy spoons, hotels and motels, the highs and the lows. Truly each memory is a treasure and all of them still bring a smile to my face.

You know, there is one thing that keeps coming back to me though. An event that is timeless and beautiful in it's simplicity. I can close my eyes and replay it in my head like a wonderful slide show. From the first days of T-Ball through Little League. All during Travel Ball and High School. At the end of the day, after everything was said and done, my favorite thing was when my little buddy would walk up and say "Dad, how'd I do?"

We are blessed to be parents, especially parents that have the privilege of being involved with our kids and their pursuit of the greatest game on earth. Soak it in and enjoy the ride!
This is such a great thread, I laughed and cried my way through it. Thanks for starting it off, dswann!

fillsfan, I'm laughing out loud while typing, that was a very funny story.

OK2Go, great post... "my little buddy would walk up and say "Dad, how'd I do?" We are blessed to be parents..."

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
quote:
We are blessed to be parents..."

And it is a great thread. Its getting closer everyone. Tuesday for my son. May God bless all the players and the families, keep them all free from injuries, allow parents from long ways aways to make it to some of their kids games, I have my list next to me with all the websters whos kids I know and where they attend school and I will be watching them througout the season.I hope its a fun, great season.
I am on the road for work and have missed most of my
sons games for the last year.I was home for a weekend last April and my 11 y/o hit his 1st and 2nd homers ever with me in the stands.Then on closing day with his team down 11-8 he hit a grand slam in the 6th.
My then 7 y/o played fallball in 07 and was the only
7 y/o on his team and had a bullit hit to him at third and he caught the ball and had the awareness
to step on third for a DP.He acted like no big deal
and his mom needed smelling salts for fear it would have taken his head off.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.