Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Prepster:
Mine comes from Omaha -- 2006.

The day before (Fathers' Day), Robert had pitched a complete game shutout against Clemson (sorry, TPM); but, as thrilling as that was, it's not my favorite memory.

Instead, my favorite memory comes from the evening of the day following the shutout; as he and I sat WAY down the third baseline in Rosenblatt Stadium watching two of the other 7 teams play. As we sat there on a perfect evening, the sun setting in a magenta sky behind us, we talked...about a lot of things. The game before us, our time in Omaha, and shared memories of the past were all discussed.

In addition, we talked with the many college baseball fans around us; fans from quite a few schools...some represented that week, others not. Swapping tales, sharing recollections, communing in college baseball's cathedral.

It was a baseball evening to remember.

Ahhh, that's ok, too bad I couldn't find you that day. Win or lose, watching son play at Rosenblatt is something I will never forget.
One night just the 3 or us (son, hubby and I) went to watch a game. We had to walk back down the hill in back of the stadium to catch a bus back to hotel, as we looked back, the stadium all lit up, son declared that was one of he most beautiful sights he had ever seen and he was so excited to be there, it was definetly a dream come true.

But that was not my best baseball memory, that is reserved for the game that brought us to Omaha, that is a special day we nor he will ever forget.
My best memory is one my newest, one of my players I coached when he was 8 until he was 14 signed his NLI this past fall and I was very happy for him when I read it in the local paper but thats not the good part of it he spotted me at a local sporting event walked away from group of buddies came over and thanked me for coaching him all those years and shook my hand. I had tears in my eyes because what I remember most about those years was a group of 8 year olds that could hardly play catch. They grow up to fast.
My son was nine and was playing with a team that seemed to really click and the coaches were a lot of fun. About two minutes after our only loss of the season, the sprinklers suddenly went on as the kids were leaving the field shooting water fourty feet or so. Within minutes all the kids were running through the sprinkler. The coaches tried to call them off but, gave up after a minute or so.

My son ran up and squatted on the sprinkler and had water shooting out all around his butt. Towards the end he got an idea and pulled his cup out, filled it up and came in and offered the coaches a drink.

Same season...

We are in the final playoff game and as my son is coming to the plate, my wife yells "Come on Sweety". He stopped dead in his tracks and just glares at her in an extended silence. The Head Coach picks up on the moment jumps down to a squat with his hands extended and yells "Yeah - Come on Sweety".

Same game...

...arms red as a lobster; catcher mask up on his head; face red and sweating like a horse; during a pitching consultation. I managed to snap a good picture.

A lot of baseball experiences later, that summer still stands out as the best.
My favorite baseball memory:

Seeing my youngest son pitch to my eldest son who was catching. The younger came into the game with runners on 2nd and 3rd. He struck out the next 2 batters when the 3rd batter he faced got a hit back to him. The runner on third came in hard, the younger fielded it, tossed it to the elder who tagged the kid behind his back - never turned around, just caught the ball and flipped his glove back tagging the runner passing behind him. The brothers nodded at each other, turned and jogged into the dugout. Like it was something they did everyday...business as usual. Fact is, they were 5 years apart in age and had never played on the same team before - I never thought I'd get to see that.

(With two outs, you normally would have gone for the out at first, but it was such a smooth, natural play that no one complained.)

Back up two months, and it was my eldest son's senior year. He was pitching to his best friend who was catching. It was a home game and the stands were full. For the last inning, they switched. My son caught while his best friend pitched. That night his friend was killed in a car accident. We have pictures of that game that are worth more to me than most anything. No one wore the catcher's equipment after that but my eldest son - he finished out the season at catcher. And the last time he wore it, he was catching for his brother, an incoming Freshman - the story I told above.
Last edited by gamedayrocks
So many wonderful baseball memories. I've seen a son hit a walk off HR as a Giant against the Dodgers, yet the first memory that pops in my head is the time he and I went to a Giants/Dodgers game five years earlier, the night before he had shoulder surgery while still in the minors. We walked all around the stadium, enjoyed the game, went down the slide, watch the boats in the bay. Went out for dinner afterwards. Priceless!

Another time our whole extended family and friends drove down to Houston to see him play. The game was a ton of fun, yet the first thing that I think of happened afterwards, when my husband and I somehow ended up in the same car with our two sons on the way to some restaurant. First time the 4 of us had been alone together in 7 years. We got lost and laughed until we cried trying to find our way back on to the right freeway. By the time we found the restaurant, everyone else had gone back to the hotel. The 4 of us sat in a booth, laughed, ate, and talked ...just like old times. I still smile when I think of that night. Smile

For those who dream of the big moment ... the walk off, perfect game, etc .... please don't miss the smaller ones, especially the times simply spent with your sons. Trust me, in the end, those memories will mean more.
Last edited by TxMom
My story is similar to the original post in this thread over a year ago.

It was a long, fun-filled opening day at Coors Field; pre-game activities, eating whatever we wanted, thousands of balloons, USAF jet flyover, a good game (although I don't recall the outcome; sometimers disease is catching me) - you get the picture. Totally immersed in baseball with all the trimmings that accompany opening day. I made a pledge to my 5 yo son to attend an opening day game every year, from the days when I had to carry him through the crowd to whenever he may need to push me in a wheelchair. We were walking back to the car through downtown Denver, hand-in-hand, and he looked up at me with a big smile and asked if we could go to opening day again next week. Just the thought of that moment and the look of sincerity on his face will always be one of my happiest moments.
It was my son's senior year in high school, and his team was playing a rival team (the best in the area). The coach of this team had previously told my husband that our son would never go anywhere in baseball since his school was not strong as a 'baseball' school, and he would never get noticed. In this game, my son hit '3' homeruns and went on to bat .564 his senior year. To make a long story short, he got a 'full ride' and played baseball at a D1 school for 4 years and was drafted his senior year as an 18th rounder who went on to play 3 years of pro ball before injuring his knee. That coach had to eat his words. Our philosophy had always been that 'the cream will rise to the top, no matter where you play.' You just never know who might be watching.
As a player

Just got called up to High-A and was playing against an old teammate of mine. First professional game my mother, who taught me baseball, got to see. I hit a bomb over my old teammates head in left, and when I crossed home, my mother was standing right next to our first base dugout, tears in her eyes...at least I assume so, she had the camera goin.

As a coach

This isn't a happy memory, but it's one of the most important. When I was 19 I traveled around England teaching kids at schools how to play baseball. At this one school near Plymouth there was an 11 year old girl who was just a natural. These kids had never even heard of baseball, lt alone play, but this girl looked like she had been playing since birth. Even the rules seemed natural to her. My partner (33years old at the time, used to play in the Yanks organization) and I really encouraged her to play in a local league. She really took a liking to my partner, we figured she had a little crush. At the end of the day she came up to him with tears in her eyes and asked, "Can you come home with me and be my Dad? My Dad doesn't talk to me. You can teach me baseball everyday."

My partner was in tears driving back to London.
as of right now,, #22 a couple of years ago at the Cal Ripken world series. He received two player of the game awards and hit a home run at Cal Seniors yard, 270' dead center. The wife and I just looked at each other and could not believe it. We were like.. where did that come from!
We still talk about that summer. We ended up loosing to Florida who won it all that year.
The funniest memory was a game from the last year my son played on the small diamond. He was playing first base. He made a put out while there was a runner on third. He stared down the runner on third, arm at the ready to throw him out, but he knew better than to throw behind the runner. The baserunner didn't return to third. Son took offense. Son ran across the infield and tagged him out. He did it again with another runner. Hilarious.

I've really enjoyed this thread. It is a reminder of how special it is to have a son who plays baseball. I feel very lucky.
Best memory? There are so many. I was a horrible baseball player as a kid so I don't have anything personal.

If I had to pick one it was when my son was 11 and was playing his first year of Bronco (Pony Baseball). They were playing fall ball that year and a coach of a 14U team apparently was watching him play. His team was only going to have 8 kids playing that night and asked if Daniel could jump in and fill in for the team.

Danny gave me a puzzled look, something along the lines of 'Can I do that?'. I told him it was up to him since it was authorized. I myself was somewhat concerned since this was a really big jump in age and ability level. He always has been an above average player but he would be playing with kids 2-3 years older than him. As you all know the difference between an 11 year old and a 14 year old is pretty drastic.

He decided to go ahead and give it a try. He of course batted 9th in the order and was put out in right field, a position he doesn't normally play but could hold his own in.

He had probably one of his best games ever. He led off the 3rd inning in his first at bat and laced a triple over the 1st baseman's head that went to the wall. His second at bat was a solid single that put him on again. He ended up scoring both times.

The best thing I saw was a play he made in one of the later innings. The opposing team had a guy on first with a couple of outs. Danny's team was on the losing side of the game but not down by much (couple of runs if I remember right) and the batter hit a hot single up the right side. The kid on first obviously realized how small Danny was and I guess thought that 3rd was automatic but my son charged the ball, came up firing and one hopped the throw from mid right field into the 3rd baseman's glove. You could see the shock in the runner's eyes when he saw the ball hit the 3rd Baseman's glove before he even started his slide. Inning over.

They ended up losing but that game gave my son such confidence and I was so proud of how he played. Those 13 and 14 year olds all told him how happy they were to have him on the team and that he would be welcome any time.

He played up the next year.
Last edited by Wklink
I was watching a local HS game the other night and a play sparked a memory of something that happened when I was playing HS ball.

I was a pitcher...and it just one of those nights where NOTHING felt right. FB felt flat, Curve Ball just didn't seem to have it's normal sharp break etc etc. But it was my turn to pitch...so I'm pitching. Trying to pitch was more like it. Somehow, we were up a couple of runs going into the last inning. All I wanted to do was get through the last inning. First guy comes up and I knew he was looking curve, since at this point against the top 5 hitters in their line up, a FB near the plate meant a hard shot somewhere. First batter hits a sloppy curve ball for a single. Second batter hits a rocket to the gap to put runners on 1st and 3rd. Next guy I walked...so NO OUTS, bases loaded. #4 hitter coming up. I'm standing behind the mound, playing with the rosin bag trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do. Hoping the coach is going to come out and relieve me. He does come out. I'm waiting to hand him the ball...probably smiling in relief. He says..

"Well...I guess the rest of the game wasn't exciting enough for you. So you get the bases loaded with no outs and figure you want to shut down the middle order to end it...well get to it."

And he said this with a TOTALLY Straight face.

I don't remember much about pitch selection or location on those batters. I remember one strike out. I do remember I think I closed my eyes on the last pitch of that strikeout because I just KNEW It was going into the next county. I Remember a big league pop up on a curve ball...I don't think I've EVER seen a ball hit so high in the air to be caught by my CF. And I remember the last guy hitting a ROCKET right at my SS or 2B. I DO REMEMBER being the last person off the field..my RF telling my "You coming?" I just couldn't believe I got through that inning. So all the equipment is getting put up, we're working on the field, I'm filling a hole in the mound after running, and my Coach walks up to me.

"Son that's what baseball is about. Sometimes it's simply a gut check. Sometimes it ends up like tonight...other nights that #4 guy probably hits one to the moon. Even if you've got nothing going...don't ever let the other team think they've got you. Sometimes it's not about who's the best...but about who gets breaks...but you should act the same when you pitch a no hitter, or when you get bear around all night...like you expected nothing less than a win."
12U travel county tourney
Son pulls his hip flexor in a game and it hurts to walk or move. So he lays out on the couch for the rest of the day. He may be like this for a few days.

Due to other injuries, team is down to 8 players for the next day's game against the reigning county champs. Son wants to bunt in next game, so team won't have an out. I agree, but Mom is not very happy with this.

Since we know the other team, nobody tells them that Son is hurt. Coach has him bat 9th.

First at bat, he shuffles up to the plate and bunts. They throw him out and coach scolds him for not running Smile

In the top of the last inning, we are down by 2. We get a runner on. Son may bat soon, so I walk over to the dugout (which I never do). Son is in pain, but he and I agree he needs to do what he has to do.

Down by 2, 2 outs, bases loaded. Son takes an ugly swing at a ball and I can see he is in terrible pain. I am wondering if I'm a terrible Dad and Mom looks like she's wondering the same thing.

Then Son takes a strike, I think he's not going to swing at another one.

Next pitch, he throws his arms out and bloops a popup to RF. RF doesnt realize he can knock the ball down and throw Son out at first easily, so he dives for the ball .... and misses.

Son hobbled all the way to 2B (other team now realizes he's hurt) and gets the 3RBIs that won the game.

Parents and players are screaming and crying. I'll never forget the look on Son's face.
Last edited by SultanofSwat
I pitched a one hit game in college against Salt Lake Community College. The team I was playing on at the time was a utah league that just had the opportunity to play their college team. I was just in the zone that day and had no idea I had a no hit game until the sixth inning when someone told me (jerk) lol. I knew I was throwing well because all of my stuff was working (it was just one of those days). The only hit I allowed that day was a blooper that was just out of the second basemans reach, he did all he could to get it but couldn't.
You never forget a performance like that, even though at that time I wasn't on an "official" college team yet.
I'm going to realy a friends story - I was reading a post in one of the other columns about a young man playing summer ball - and what a big thrill it was to have a youngster come up to him and ask him to catch the first ball that he was throwing out. A lot of posters here have autographs, but not too many have famous peeople who have their autograph. My friend played for a good local league, and the crowds were pretty decent. There was a really big crowd one night in particular as a young man who was destined for superstardom had returned home after playing/living out of town for while (he was about 16 or 17 - but was already pegged as the next big thing). More people were there to see him than the baseball team. To make a long story short - my friend was asked by the future hall of famer to sign a ball for him. Its one of his greatest thrills - not too many people can say Wayne Gretzky has their autograph. (Wayne was a pretty fair basbeball player before devoting himself to hockey).
Last edited by liner
I would have to say my best baseball memory does not have to do with any individual performances, or team performance. When I was in Pro ball, I was at the field, and there is a military base in the town which our team was located, so the military used our stadium for working out their bomb sniffing dogs.

They would plant caches in the stands, and walk the dogs around to sniff them out. Well I was walking from the Front Office down through the stadium, and I met with a troop. He was amazed, and said "Wow you guys are lucky to do this everyday."
I looked at him and said "We are lucky, but we are only lucky to play this game because of guys like you defending us, who give us the freedom to play this game" After I said that I will never forget the look on his face. Seeing that smile, was the defining moment of my baseball career. Every other achievement does not even come close. To me, that is what this game is all about.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.