Skip to main content

Well the easy answer is the best kind of baseball is the game you are at... but given a choice, and taking the cost into account, would the fans on this site prefer to go to:

A Major League game

B Minor League game

C College game - including summer leagues (ala Cape Cod)

D High School game - including summer travel ball

I have to say that up until about 5 years ago, it was no question for me - a major league game (A).

In the last few years, I find myself drawn more and more to the high school and college games (C + D). I am lucky enough to have a son who is a fine baseball player - and as a result I have travelled with his team all over the country, playing and watching some of the best high schoolers in the country.

I've been to Cape Cod on family vacations, I've been to the 17U WWBA, I've been to Omaha for the CWS two years ago - and consider these times about as much fun as I have ever had at a baseball game.

Given a choice of airplane and game tickets to watch the Giants play the Mets the next 3 nights at Shea - or tickets to watch the 17U WWBA event in Atlanta - I think I would go to Atlanta.

What about the others on this site? What would you prefer?

" There's nothing cooler than a guy who does what we dream of doing, and then enjoys it as much as we dream we would enjoy it. " -- Scott Ostler on Tim Lincecum
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

While I love college baseball, on a comparative baseball, the metal bat is a noticeable factor impacting the "game."
From my view, the very best baseball to watch can come from the Summer College wood bat leagues and Milb.
On the College wood bat leagues, there cannot be many better places to watch games than Cardines field in Newport, RI. You have the history of one of the oldest parks in the United States, great community support, everyone very close to the field and top quality play.
Milb can be the best because you truly are watching top quality baseball, guys that are playing with their hearts, a dream, and usually pushing themselves to their limits, if not beyond. When you combine those factors with a community that supports the team in some of the beautiful stadiums in a downtown location in Middle America, there isn't anything better.
Of course if you are watching games in the Florda State League in July/August with the 15 other fans attending that day, that is a different level of "enjoyment." Wink
Last edited by infielddad
There's no question that I would choose to watch my son play and whatever team he's playing for.
I also like to watch any player that we have a personal contact with, College or the Pro level.

I personally find it harder and harder to watch my Son Play Baseball at the higher level's.
Going from a 2 way player all his life, to just a pitcher now.
And knowing he could play and play good as a everyday player.
Kill's me.
I personally was not ready for that, and I'm not sure my son was either.
You have a different mindset as a pitcher's parent.
Good or bad outcome your Stomach just does flip flop's.

So the game is enjoyable, But apprehensive to say the least.
EH
quote:
Originally posted by infielddad:
On the College wood bat leagues, there cannot be many better places to watch games than Cardines field in Newport, RI. You have the history of one of the oldest parks in the United States, great community support, everyone very close to the field and top quality play.

And to add to the NE special, hanging out at the Mudville Pub, before, during and after the ball game at Cardines Field (and the hockey style dugouts) where the burgers and sandwiches are very good and the prices reasonable, is near top shelf.
I enjoy watching any game in which my HS-aged son plays. This remains true for any other kid I know personally. I also enjoy watching (in person) many of the college teams in Texas. RR Express games (Astros AAA affiliate) can also be fun but I cannot seem to connect with the players like I do with the HS and college guys. Maybe it's the nature of Milb ball.

Lastly, I do enjoy MLB games on TV. I pay every year for the MLB Ticket on Directv. Unfortunately, the cost is too high and I don't have easy access to an MLB team to see games in person. My family and I may attend one MLB game a year.
Like everyone else here, I enjoy any level of the sport my son is participating. That said...

I will always, always be a fan of MLB. I love the history of the game and believe that no matter how bad some of the characters and caretakers of the sport seem at times, the sport will always live in the hearts and minds of Americans. It is the great American sport designed for open spaces and where time has a chance to stand still. The Babe will always be the greatest. When my son's team played Columbia this past season, I could not help but think of their greatest player - Lou Gehrig. Baseball connects generations.
quote:
I will always, always be a fan of MLB. I love the history of the game and believe that no matter how bad some of the characters and caretakers of the sport seem at times, the sport will always live in the hearts and minds of Americans.

MLB has lost it's luster to me. I see it more as a business nowaday's and less like a game.
I also don't believe that the best player's are at the top.
I believe the most sellable player's are at the top.
The best bargain's are at the top.
The highest paid are given the most chances.
I see some MLB club's advance there younger player's a lot faster then a lot of other team's.
They actually use there minor league's system's.
Some club's would rather buy player's on the free agent market.

To much impatience for them.
I do love the Underdog team's that play the game right. And win by doing so.
EH
quote:

Let me explain this statement.
I believe that club's are reluctant to bring a player up to the MLB in there minor league system if that player is hot, for fear of hurting the ego of one of there so called star's thats having a not so good a year.
EH
quote:
Originally posted by theEH:
quote:

Let me explain this statement.
I believe that club's are reluctant to bring a player up to the MLB in there minor league system if that player is hot, for fear of hurting the ego of one of there so called star's thats having a not so good a year.
EH

EH,
I am sure that can be a reason, but there are many more business reasons that often surround this issue. Those almost always derive from a player starting to be credited with Major league service time.
When a player starts to accrue Major League service time impacts when he might get to be arbitration eligible, eligible for a pension, free agency and the like. Many clubs pay very close attention to the arbitration aspect so as to extend, for as long as possible, the player obtaining that "right." If it means having that player in Milb as certain times of the year, even though the player has nothing to prove, it is a business decision that will be made.
First choice is any game my son is playing. Although I have to admit because he is often a DH I miss him being on the field the whole game. There is nothing better than seeing him get a hit but I miss the action of both parts of the game.

I love to watch MLB and college on TV but I also really enjoy listening to a well broadcast game on the radio. I grew up listening to the Washington Senators on a tiny transistor radio and still love hearing a game broadcast by a good radio guy. I think I even appreciate it more after listening to some of the announcers we get on the internet from the college summer leagues. That can be an agonizing experience.
My wish list:

1. College game which my son pitches. He was lucky enough to start against the U of Texas in Austin last year, it doesn't get any better than that.

2. Yankees / Red Sox Game in NY - MLB at its best

3. Any quality college baseball game -

4. Any quality high school game

5. Average MLB game - watching the best play is still special

6. Watching minor league baseball - I love watching the stars of tomorrow while their ego's are still in check!
I love the college game, always have and always will. College bseball is business, but players not involved in getting paid a salary for what they love doing shows in the game.
I am not too sold yet on milb on the lower levels, except when son is in the game. Frown milb is training ground. Some teams don't care about wins or losses. It's diffucult to watch a young pitcher struggle because you know he has to throw a CB, CU, FB just for practice, or a hitter struggling because he has to hit opposite field for practice when he can hit one dead center for a HR, or making errors at a position player is not used to playing and then the fans being upset there is not enough talent in their system. I also don't like how some teams move players up too fast, while others stagnate their players. Some have older players against young players just to win games and bring $$. I saw this last year in the NYP league. Much older players who have been hanging around for awile against 21-22 year olds just coming out of college.

EH,
Teams don't bring up their very talented youngsters because of all sorts of reasons, business reasons mostly and the need for experience. There's a lot of work that goes into taking off the roster to put back on the roster, bringing up before they are ready, options, not wanting the MLB clock to start ticking before it has to when someone else in their position they pay millions for, etc. I see that INF touched upon that as well.

Trading seasoned players for a few weeks is much easier than bringing up your top prospect to take a roster spot and they don't pan out. I feel for the Indian fans losing CC, it was a business move and business is business. Even if the Brewers plan doesn't work, they'll see a whole bunch of revenue for fans to come watch one of the best pitchers in BB for a few months. I get this, but don't like it. I didn't like it when my Marlins took away Dontrelle and Cabrerra, but they are doing better this year than last at this time. crazy Sometimes it's just crazy how things work out.
The best mlb games for me are between heated and hated rivalries. I could watch Yank/Sox or Cub/Card game every night just because they can't stand one another. Makes for great stuff. I also found those college rivalries to be the best games to watch.

I am going to go with njbb with LL, especially t-ball and the younger leagues, there you can find real entertainment without spending a fortune. Wink I laughed all through t-ball, what a hoot!
Last edited by TPM
I love watching all levels of baseball, and like many others have said, it's especially fun when I know one of the players.

Youth levels - I loved all of it from T-ball on up, but when it got to about age 11-12, I was always happy to be the one switching my work schedule so I could drive my son and his teammates to their travel games. It made me "antsy" all day if I had to miss one of my son's games. High school baseball is great fun to watch because you tend to get to know all the players better, seeing them for several years in a row. College baseball was very exciting, but made this pitcher's parent nervous much of the time.

Pro ball - I have not seen much minor league baseball, but plan to see at least one single-A game this week in FL. My husband and son watch more minor league games, and they really like that level. MLB - We get the MLB cable package on TV so we can watch lots of MLB games, and I love it. I enjoy watching rivalries like Yankees vs. Red Sox and don't care about the $$ stuff. But my favorite of course is to watch my Twins. Part of the fun is that it's a small market, low budget team, but these young guys are putting together a good season.

Best kind of baseball? Whatever is on TV right now or at a ballpark near me! Smile

Julie
quote:
1. College game which my son pitches. He was lucky enough to start against the U of Texas in Austin last year, it doesn't get any better than that.

Yes it does! If he was a true Freshman getting that start, dominated for the six innings he was in there, and to top it off, got the win! Now, it doesn't get much better than that!! Wink
He did a great job that day!!
Last edited by Danny Boydston
Please don’t make me choose…I love ball at every level…

Why just the other day I was passing an open field next to Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity, I saw a few Nuns playing a game…Of course, I had to stop and watch for awhile. I took a photo cause I knew you all would not believe me...

Notice the Ty Cobb grip...I talked to the Sister regarding her stance, hip rotation and the like...Sister Beatrice said "Back off, Mr. Winkle!"
Last edited by Bullwinkle
If I have time and there's a game top watch, I'll stop. Normally I would draw the line at the full size field. But I did go to a LL all-star game last night. A majority of the roster were younger brothers of kids closer to my son's age (15) or neighbors.

I would probably be turned off at the price of attending a MLB game but I'm fortunate to get free access a few times a year in Philadelphia (includes food) and Boston.

Otherwise I enjoy affiliated MILB (potential stars of tomorrow), college and high school ball. My son's games (high school and travel) are a given as the favorite. My son and I will hang at the travel tournaments and watch other good teams play. We'll also watch the Junior Legion games of his high school teammates who have chosen not to play travel.

Where we live we drive by the Villanova field often. It's also used for a semi-pro league, Junior Legion and Legion. If we (my son and I) see cars we almost always drive through to see who's playing.
Last edited by RJM
quote:
Originally posted by redbird5:
I have always been a fan of the college game. I just enjoy the intensity and the focus with which the college kids play the game.

Yep..

IMO...

- Excellent baseball - every player at every position can play the game, few gaps.
- Players are already "professional" but not too professional.
- Players are still really hungry to prove themselves.
- While seeking higher levels with a passion players are often playing for a cause bigger than themselves...a university.
- As a general rule the parents are really fun, heavily invested, passionate, but no longer "running the show".
- More likely to have/see players willing to buy into the team concept.
- Groundballs all get run out.
- Players bust their tails getting to positions.
- Most every player deserves my respect due his academic/athletic comittment.
- Perfect age, no longer boys not quite men...play like men....but still have dreams, upside and still some innocence.
- Ballparks are the perfect size, big enough to feel big league but not overwhelming. Big but still retain intimacy.
- Parking and access are easy.
- Built in University Fan support is genuine (generally).
- Heckling is creative.
- I am not wondering if a player is playing/promoted partly because of a big contract.
- Really fun to scout watch.
- Really fun to ponder any players MLB interest and shot of a draft pick of kids on your and other teams.
- College ball is mostly played on college campus's and most all college campus's have a unique and wonderful feel to them.
- College ball simply oozes "upside".

Cool 44
Last edited by observer44
OB,
Great post.
My husband is a milb freak, he has seen many players in their youth now in MLB at that level.
I liked ML spring training this spring, I liked seeing the young players play with the ML guys, that's cool. Our HS is right around the corner from us, I always stop in when I see cars near the field too.
Honestly I used to enjoy watching the HS game, but over the past few years, I have to sit away from the parents. Too many nasty unnecessary comments made about kids and the coaching with no disregard who is listening, never heard that when son was in HS. Things have changed.
quote:
Originally posted by MN-Mom:
I love watching all levels of baseball, and like many others have said, it's especially fun when I know one of the players.

Julie, I'm with you. The original question didn't include youth baseball which is truly a delight on a certain level. I had the opportunity to catch some t-ball and coach pitch this spring and it thrilled me to no end! Watching those young kids discover their passion and learn the game - delightful stuff!

However, I guess if I had to pick ONE, it would be the college game. All of it's marvelous!!!! Smile
[QUOTE]Originally posted by reggie-3-77:
My wish list:

2. Yankees / Red Sox Game in NY - MLB at its best

Everything on your list sounds great (especially the one about your son); HOWEVER, that Red Sox Yankee game doesn't get any better than in Fenway in the Bleachers!

This experience is really special to me as this was the day that my son fell head over heels in love with baseball!
Sizzle;
I do like this swing. Probably our 3b from the 1954 College World Series team from Michigan State, now a Jesuit Priest.

My personal preference is the Minor League games and I can go to the bull pen and study the Pro coaches coach and at the batting cage listen to the instruction. We have every year sent the coaches to Australia to teach our American players.

If you desire I can relate the story of an 18 year old Gary Sheffield playing in Reno and in conflict with the score keeper.

Bob
Spizz,

Friar Fester must have been the model for the SD Padres logo. That's a classic photo.

For my money, I prefer minor league ball. I don't care for big crowds and the traffic that follows afterwards. I get much closer to the action at minor league games.

Of course, the best games are when you personally know the players.
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
I have to sit away from the parents. Too many nasty unnecessary comments made about kids and the coaching with no disregard who is listening, never heard that when son was in HS. Things have changed.
Yep. My son will be on varsity next year. I'm going to place myself as far away from "the jury" as possible. "The jury" is a group of current and former rec ball coaches who think they know more than the varsity coach. They have no problem tearing down players for the benefit of their own. The funny thing is when they throw each other's kids under the bus behind each other's backs.

At a Junior Legion game one parent got tired of the coach's wife telling everyone how much baseball her husband knows and how stupid the varsity coach is, and let her have it in full view of everyone. His kid won't be starting soon!

The JL coach recently moved up from rec ball. The high school coach is a former college and pro player, and former assistant coach at one of the state's top high school programs. His only problem now is the lack of talent he inherited. The lack of talent are the kids of "the jury."
Wow - what a response to the question... lots of ways I could have improved the question.

I am sorry for not including youth baseball - in many ways the most fun to watch of all...

I also should have said watch without your son participating - like everyone here - watching my own son play is the most fun of all - and I am very much looking forward to when I can do that again (he is on the DL for the summer)

And lastly, the intent of my question was to watch in person...

Some of my favorite memories - in no particular order:
- OSU and the CWS in 2006 - Omaha is a very special place to watch a game.

- A game in the tourney that my son was playing at the same time in Omaha. Two undefeated teams - both playing well above the competition - meeting in the last game of the night. Even the umps wanted to watch it - they agreed to split the pay 4 ways and ump the game with 4 umps. The sun set as it only can in Omaha incredible colors against a stormy sky - and the teams played until nearly 11 PM a tight back and forth game.

- Celebrating my 20th wedding anniversary by sitting on the grassy hill in right field at Chatham field in Cape Cod - eating a Pizza from down the street (Carmine's - one of the best pizzas in the world) and watching two pitchers throw shutouts at each other for 8 innings - only to have the game end on a home run over our heads and one hop into the fire station (and incredible shot - probably 450 - with wood of course)

- Watching any number of wonderful teams play the WWBA 17Us last year - with an array of radar guns behind home plate. It was great to see many of those kids get drafted this spring.

- Watching a young Will Clark and Robbie Thompson scramble around the right side of a very young Giants infield

Just a few great memories - I love this game...

Back in the day, as a young hell raising alcoholic......before I had kids.......I could not think of a better time than to cross the bridge over into Windsor, Canada to have a few of their cheap and strong beers. Then we would head back over to Tiger Stadium and for $5 we would become bleacher creatures for the day. Cheering for Kurt to hit one out or for Chet to steal third. The opposing center fielder had to have iron skin because we were the worst.

Now that I have kids..............I drink twice as much........... JK. I cannot think of a better place to be than watching them playing league, tournament or freshman ball. If they are not involved I would pay more to see a High School game than anything else. I have grown very fond of the Hurricanes so the CWS is always fun. I am hoping to make it up there one year.
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:

Honestly I used to enjoy watching the HS game, but over the past few years, I have to sit away from the parents. Too many nasty unnecessary comments made about kids and the coaching with no disregard who is listening, never heard that when son was in HS. Things have changed.

LOL..I always got a kick out of hearing some of the comments. Some of it was unbelievable. It did seem to be worse at the varsity level than jv or frosh. However, I wasn't gonna go to my son's high school games only to sit a mile away to get away from the peanut gallery because I wanted a good spot to watch him play. Besides, I never got caught up in all that stuff anyway. I suppose it was easy to tune it out because my kid was in the starting lineup every game because he worked hard to earn his spot so even if I were to catch something directed toward my kid (which I never heard) I would've tuned it out anyway and chalked it off as jealousy or stupidity.

As for watching games in person, I enjoy the high school and minor league baseball.
Last edited by zombywoof
quote:
Originally posted by 80PATRIOT:
Then we would head back over to Tiger Stadium and for $5 we would become bleacher creatures for the day. Cheering for Kurt to hit one out or for Chet to steal third. The opposing center fielder had to have iron skin because we were the worst.

The worst heckling at a MLB game I've ever heard was at a Detroit game (at Comerica). We were sitting down the R field line and the Twins were there. This drunk guy ragged on Cudyer all night! Cudyyyyyyyyyyyyyverrrrrrr all night long! We're Detroit fans (although big fans of Cudyer too) and it wore thin! Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.