Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Is it just me or there is some optimism for the Dbacks with Captain Kirk Gibson #23 at the helm? I think it is a good move and inject some old school magic into this underachieving team. They still need pitchers especially in the bullpen but maybe its a good start to change the team's mindset. It would be a plus if Webb pitches again.Don't know much about Mr. Dipoto but I know he has been involved a lot in the Dbacks scouting and local ballplayers has been given attention in the draft the last few years.

RR23 Wink
In regards to some of the questions about Russell Branyan--he has a long way to go before being on the most teams or traded and released the most times. He has been on twelve teams although some are repeats while just one guy for example--Bobo Newsom of the 1930's to 1950's was on twenty teams although he was on Washington six different times and Philadelphia A's three times.
I know two people who have met Branyan and they both think he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and will talk to anyone. Having said that, I think the reason he moves around a lot is that while he can be a useful guy in a platoon or part time role, a .236 lifetime average where he has struck out 1000 times in 2616 AB's or once every 2.62 AB's has been his downfall. He doesn't walk a whole lot as his on base percentage is only .331 and the really solid powerhitters have a slugging percentage over .500 and his is .491. He is limited to first base and DH. He has managed to carve out a decently long career in the role that his skills allow him. There is no shame in that.
Back the original question, the lack of panic moves that one club, the San Diego Padres has paid off handsomely so far this season. If they had traded Adrian Gonzalez, Headley, or their fine relief staff had been broken up, they would not be in the position they are in. They have a lot of no name guys with one star but these guys play together as a team and are hanging in there. Its amazing that no one on the team makes over 4.5 million. Of course ol Ekstein is on the team and he's been part of winning teams before.
quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
I'm not sure any moves occuring this year can have measurable effect yet. What about Jed Hoyer becoming the Padres GM in '09? They're competing already without spending money.

IMO Jed Hoyer has contributed little to this years success of the Padres, other than not screwing up what Kevin Towers had in place after the ownership change. And to Bud Black (2010 manger of the year)who's taken great pitching and defense combined with just enough hitting (real baseball) to great heights in this post steroid era
quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
Back the original question, the lack of panic moves that one club, the San Diego Padres has paid off handsomely so far this season. If they had traded Adrian Gonzalez, Headley, or their fine relief staff had been broken up, they would not be in the position they are in. They have a lot of no name guys with one star but these guys play together as a team and are hanging in there. Its amazing that no one on the team makes over 4.5 million. Of course ol Ekstein is on the team and he's been part of winning teams before.

The Marlins business model that has been adopted by some teams isn't working this year and what does the owner do? Fires the manager thinking that his friend Valentine will take the job and he won't.

They got rid of too many pieces to the puzzle, aren't able to draft the talent they used to, don't develop anymore what they have for it to continue and won't budge on spending anything, didn't even want to contribute for their own stadium.

I am sure that Giradi is enjoying it all. And I hope that Freddy gets Bobby's job.
The Pirates....

Zach Duke to the DL.........no sense in ruining this fine pitchers arm...let him heal...

The call ups of Pedro Alvarez, Jose Tabata, Neil Walker and Brad Lincoln...

the demotion of Iwamura....

we may still lose, but Id rather lose with these talented prospects than struggle along sacrificing our meager pitching staff and selling off any talent we have at mid season.....

Now we need to get a manager who can get thiese kids playing to their potential....Russell isnt the personality needed....

I would love to see Bobby Valentine.....
Last edited by piaa_ump

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.