Skip to main content

I notice that our board is not as active as some others in regarding discussions on local players, teams. I am not sure if that is because we don't have to, or because we respect the rights of others not to promote discussions about players on what they can and can't do.

Whatever the case, I think it would be great to hear about our state's boys, HS, college and pro.

I know where lots of your son's play, would be nice if the silent crowd could let us know what's going on with theirs, and the "old timers" keep us up to date on progress.

Also, we have parents here who have been through the process, don't be afraid to ask questions of us.

Tigers come to UM march 31, Aprl 1-2. Those of you in the area, would love if you could come to a game, let us know who you are.

The best series we saw played last year was the ACC tournie in Jax in May, anyone in that area, it's just great college baseball, let me know if you are interested as the year progresses.

Best of luck to you son's where ever they may be, and don't be afraid to let us know or keep us informed!
TPM
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son is more anxious to get to the field than I've ever seen before. His team, Sarasota H.S., appears talented and well balanced. Jury's still out after graduating 10 seniors last year.

I understand the coach has set up the toughest schedule he could for the boys. They'll be traveling to Orlando, Miami area twice, and Georgia for the Ga/Fla Challenge. Is anyone out there playing in that event this year (Lowndes, Lassiter, ???) or coming to the Sarasota Classic tourn? Looking forward to his Senior season.

TPM... All the best to Dave for an outstanding Spring. Don't think I'll get a chance to see him pitch, though maybe... ...don't know when our team is coming to Miami. I'll be looking for him when I can though.
Last edited by FloridaHokie
Those poor northerners are insde by their computers dreaming about playing or watching. I am currently training 5 high schoolers and 2 college players over break. Then practice begins for them so I'll only train on weekends. will enjoy sittng in the sun watching practices and the early feb. tournaments. Good luck to your kids, Sarasota is always competitive and I'm sure will be this year.
Coachric
Tiger Paw Mom,

Am looking foward to meeting you at UM this spring!!!
Our team (Stoneman Douglas)should be very strong this year with Christensen,Ochinko,Holden,Kern,Marta,Hage,Rizzo,and other good ballplayers
all on the same team. You can keep up with our team at http://www.douglashigh.com/

Scout.com did a nice article on David. He has been training hard and is looking foward to his senior season. Best of Luck to your son this season!!!

Canes

scout.com http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=309&p=2&c=479045&ssf=1&Req...om%2f2%2f479045.html

Five-Tool Talent Is A Throwback Premium Story

Christensen Takes Pride In His Defense Too

By Bobby Vangelatos
Date: Dec 15, 2005

It’s not a secret what makes high school seniors being talked about as first round draft choices. The first thing scouts would tell you when they talk about a Justin Upton, a Delmon Young or a Lastings Milledge is their bat. High school seniors know they will be drafted because of their bat, but the other aspects of your baseball game could set you apart from the rest of the flock. David Christensen is well aware of that fact.......
I will keep the board posted on the progress of some local players I will be watching this year.
Ryan Ditthardt, outfielder from St. Thomas suffered a serious injury at the start of the summer season that curtailed his exposure in summer baseball tournaments. He is now fully recovered after spending most of the fall rehabbing and working out. He looks great. The 6'1, 190 lb. senior is D1 material but unfortunately hasn't been seen since last high-school season. He's a steal for interested college coaches.

Outfielder Steven Cardullo, St. Thomas, will be among the elite power hitters in Broward. As a junior he hit 6 homers and none were of the cheap variety. Cardullo's natural power has been enhanced by a strict football conditioning program. He did the circuit during the summer and drew considerable interest but no offers. This player, whose work ethic and dedication is unquestionable can only get better at every level.

Junior lefty Robby Scott has grown at least 10 inches and gained over 30 lbs. Look for him to emerge as STA's #2 behind a healthy Corey Weech.

All three of these players come from athletic blood lines. Ditthardt's uncle was a former UM quarterback, Cardullo's father was a D1 wrestler, and Scott's mom played softball at FSU.
quote:
Originally posted by bigjd39:
I will keep the board posted on the progress of some local players I will be watching this year.
Ryan Ditthardt, outfielder from St. Thomas suffered a serious injury at the start of the summer season that curtailed his exposure in summer baseball tournaments. He is now fully recovered after spending most of the fall rehabbing and working out. He looks great. The 6'1, 190 lb. senior is D1 material but unfortunately hasn't been seen since last high-school season. He's a steal for interested college coaches.

Outfielder Steven Cardullo, St. Thomas, will be among the elite power hitters in Broward. As a junior he hit 6 homers and none were of the cheap variety. Cardullo's natural power has been enhanced by a strict football conditioning program. He did the circuit during the summer and drew considerable interest but no offers. This player, whose work ethic and dedication is unquestionable can only get better at every level.

Junior lefty Robby Scott has grown at least 10 inches and gained over 30 lbs. Look for him to emerge as STA's #2 behind a healthy Corey Weech.

All three of these players come from athletic blood lines. Ditthardt's uncle was a former UM quarterback, Cardullo's father was a D1 wrestler, and Scott's mom played softball at FSU.

My sons team(western high) plays st thomas in the first game of the cooper city tournament. We have two very good starting seniors this year in lefty Nick Additon and righty John Conklin. If we hit this year we should be better.
Florida Hokie,
I've got the date marked on my calender. My daughter is a sophomore at STA so I still spend a lot of time down at the school.

John is living in Gainesville and attending Santa Fe Community College. He has no plans of pursuing baseball beyond working camps for younger kids with Coach Lawson and possibly coaching at some level in the future. He's majoring in criminal justice and will transfer to UF after his sophomore year. He wants to earn a law degree and enter the FBI or politics. He earned a 3.88 GPA his first semester and is just loving life as a student in Gainesville. We have a very different relationship now without baseball and it's really been a great experience for both of us. Thank you for asking how he's doing. It's kind of strange, but people avoid the subject because I think they believe that John not playing baseball is a painful subject for me. I thought it would be, but it's really not. Life is so rich and full of surprises that you can't get bogged down worrying about the future or living in the past. You just miss it all. I aint missing anything anymore.
Sounds like all is going well for John. Given that baseball taught him a thing or two about setting goals and going after them, I expect he'll one day realize these dreams and be setting more goals as well. ...gotta make ya proud.

I'll see you at STA in a coupla months. I have a daughter who's a sophomore as well. Volleyball player. (Now there's a fun sport too.)
I am new to this site and after reading the many diffrent discussions found it to be very informative. This is my sons first year of high school baseball and we are looking forward to a great year. He will be pitching and playing first base for the team this season. I hope to someday report back with a success story one day. Any helpful tips on getting thru that first game when your sons pitching for the first time on the high school team???
Bulldog:

Welcome to the Web. I hope the ride ahead of you proves to be as exciting as the one I'm on.

I recommend valium. rotlaugh bgrroll

Seriously, just enjoy the experience. You no doubt worked through the years to help get him where he is now. Trust that he's learned a thing or two. Relish his success and allow him to fail. Tell him what I've told my kid over and over... Bad game? ...forget about it. Good game? ...forget about it. Cause the important game is the next game.

Stick around here at this site, cause there are many, many here who are far wiser than I to help you navigate the minefield. Congratulations to you and your son.

...and welcome to the family.
Last edited by FloridaHokie
Bulldog

I recommend decaf. A seat away from the action, as Ace suggests, some deep breathing drills, very thick skin, plenty tolerence, and a ear to lend after the game are also highly recommended. There will be good days and bad days. Beware of "by-standers" who will try to drag you deep down into their personal hell. dialog

If at all possible...........Stay Positive and enjoy dazeda
Last edited by Dad04
Me again the new to high school ball MOM!! My sons coach has informed us that there is an umpire problem due to the new law here in FL. Therefore they will be cutting games from the Varsity schedule as well as having trouble getting umps for the JV schedule. Is anyone else having these problems in their area?? We still do not have a JV schedule for this year. (My son is playing both JV and Varsity so due to work schedules I really need to know the schedule.)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.