Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

vdc ...

Do you think this applies more to high school players than college players ... or do you think this is likely more universal (high school and college alike)?

The reason I ask (not that our son will ever have that problem) is that I wonder if high school players are more likely to be distracted by their "press" than a college player. Werth himself says "The best advice I could give, especially now that I've been through it, is you stop reading, you stop believing everything said about you and you just go out there and play." ... so I was wondering if you think that is more a concern for the younger players than the older guys who are 3+ years older.

Just wondered what your thoughts on this were.

ShapsMa
quote:
Originally posted by Highlandermom:
vdc ...

Do you think this applies more to high school players than college players ... or do you think this is likely more universal (high school and college alike)?

The reason I ask (not that our son will ever have that problem) is that I wonder if high school players are more likely to be distracted by their "press" than a college player. Werth himself says "The best advice I could give, especially now that I've been through it, is you stop reading, you stop believing everything said about you and you just go out there and play." ... so I was wondering if you think that is more a concern for the younger players than the older guys who are 3+ years older.

Just wondered what your thoughts on this were.

ShapsMa
http://www.athletics.ucr.edu/images/bearmountain.gif

More important than HS vs College is whether the kid & his family have their heads on straight. I've met 17 year olds that were incredibly grounded & mature/27 year olds who were immature egotists who loved only themselves.

The cliche' about the apple not falling far from the tree is true so if you show them you can handle the "fame & fortune" the right way, they should be able to handle whatever Baseball brings to their life.
Mary Ann

If you were to poll a random sampling of MLB
players/coaches...you would find that many do not read the press.

The differences you will find between HS and college players are similar. Some are ready mentally and some just are not.

Too, there are clubs who really do prefer the college player for some very logical reasons:
Bigger, stronger, more experience, more mature and scouts have been able to see how they perform at the college level.

In Toronto's case...of course Halladay was taken out of high school so they do draft hs players...just not as frequently. To have 8 first round picks in camp is awesome. They are in a rebuilding mode and one of the hardest things to do in baseball is to rebuild and reduce payroll. The goal is to develop a minor league which is self-sustaining.

Sometimes a kid just doesn't make it...head on straight, great work ethic, no nonsense approach...but just doesn't make it.

I will get to see a couple of them this summer as the AA team is just up the road from here...

Last edited {1}

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.