Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I know of several players in AZ that got the mail. I guess this is an inaugural event so I do not think there will be any history. There is a REACT testing that they are going to have the players undergo. Not sure what it is but maybe related to ??SPARQ. It is actually $299 for a 4 hr session but it may or may not be worth it depending on what you will actually get out of it. Looks like there will be some MLB/College Coaches and maybe Mr. Bobby Valentine himself. Am still looking into it and most likely some of the more experienced and connected HSBBWeb contributors will weigh on this. Having one event in Tucson,AZ it sounds like a grandslam but I have more questions than answers right now. Confused
Last edited by Ryanrod23
I am not sure what the deal of this program is. I read our program name on the list of teams that had players invited from. This is news to me. If I read correctly on their website they would want to take players from the programs posted to form their own team. They are charging a $299.00 fee to try out. That is more half of what we charge for an entire season. I am curious of how they listed our program without my knowledge. I never ok'ed it. Why would I send my best players to another program and ask those players to spend more money. I think we do a rather good job with our program.

http://sgvbaseball.com.
Mr. SGV Baseball,

Will you be looking into it? Looks like PG was also mentioned as well as other very prominent events. I know it is really hard to get to Jupiter for a first timer and unless they are really well connected they already have a spot in Jupiter next year. I hope this is not misleading advertising.

Hopefully we will have some answers after the 1st 2 events in CT and FL. Again, $299 for 4 hrs is quite pricey at this time unless this is really something special.

RR23 Confused
Last edited by Ryanrod23
Hate to get involved with this thread, but there are some things that don't make sense.

1. To my knowledge we have never been contacted by anyone representing the group. As of now, we are not affiliated in any way.

2. For sure there has been no invite to the WWBA Championship in Jupiter. That has not happened. Maybe they don't know how difficult it is to get into that tournament, but I don't understand why they wouldn't contact us before claiming they will be playing in that event.

3. A true All American Team formed with the very best players in the whole country could be formed without these tryouts. A good start would be to attend and look at the players in Ft Myers Florida next week. There are always several of the nation's top travel teams scouting that event. Of course, many of the players who are on those top travel teams will be there, also.

4. Because of these things and other posts in this thread, it makes me wonder what's going on. I'm wondering if Bobby Valentine is aware of everything.

5. The last thing we would want is someone taking players away from the very well respected programs that support PG, BCS, and WWBA. And there is no way that we would want to look like we endorse something we don't know anything about.

Programs like SGV have proven to help the most talented young players get great opportunities. There are lots of outstanding programs like that all over the country. I don't know why any player would leave one of these top well established programs for something that has no track record yet.

All that said, maybe this could turn into something positive in the future. We just don't know much about it.
One of my players forwarded me the email received from the Bobby Valentine All American team. You have to attend the Showcase tryout to make the All American team. So if I had a pitcher throwing 94 as a 16U who was just dominate as can be or players who runs a 6.4 60, 95 from the OF who is 6'3 200 he would not be considered because he did not attend the camp?

In reading the email I am just not sure how the whole thing will work. I will wait and see how this plays out over the year. I just can say I would not recommend this right now.
UPDATE:

One of my players was called by this group to attend their event in Tuscon. The parent was told their son was high on Valentine list of players. The parent told them it was too much money and would pass. The parent did ask about games. They were told he would be given the chance to play with their team and the honor of making the all american team. The parent did not get a good feeling about it. An email states the Bobby Valentine will personally be there and the player will get a personal evaluation from him.
Last edited by sgvbaseball
My son was at the Fort Myers event. He had a really good time. As a catcher, he did well, but was disappointed the coaches did not do much with blocking pitches. We attended Saturday. There were about 35 boys. Not sure how many attended on Sunday. We did get an e-mail stating that there were a lot of good kids that attended the most recent showcase in the Northeast. This weekend is the last tryout.
I got an email informing me about the roster for the All American team. RR23Jr was not able to tryout but you can browse all their details in their website at the start of the thread and their schedule. They will be busy.

Congratulations to whoever was picked. Sounds like a very expensive Summer unless it's all free. Good Luck!

RR23
Last edited by Ryanrod23
I know this is late for northeast players but I had
to comment. Son participated in this event yesterday in Brockton,MA.
We have been to a number of showcase / tryouts. This by far was the
best run.(Even over PG and they have been my bench mark to this point)
Players were kept busy from the time they stepped on the field. Many activites
going on at the same time. They were even doing BP in cages along with exit speeds and other drills all just prior to their turn to be graded in the on field BP.
Everything they did was videoed to be put on their website so you can send links to coaches, this is included in the price, not an add-on. Players were given pointers all during the workouts by the numorous coaches. Great atmosphere. Players were even given pizza for lunch.Great day except the weather (47 degrees, gusty winds, no sun)
If you are good enough to make this team, it would be a lifetime experience.
We wnet to the tyout/showcase in GA and it was an A+ experience. Very well run, lots of activity, great coach-to-athlete ratio due to a modest turnout. Our son (along with 15 other kids) got 6 hours of trianing and evaluation from the Bobby V staff and 8 D1 coaches (Tennessee, Georgia State, Kennesaw State, Appalachian State, Georgia Tech, Jacksonville State) and a couple of D2 and D3 schools. The website and video are a part of the package, although the video was limited. They also provide assistance with any recruiting efforts you ask for. Our son wanted to play for this team from the moment he met the staff. He has been offered a spot on the team and we are now talking with parents and players from last year regarding the experience. It is a 7 week AA experience with unofficial school visits at South Carolina, GA Tech, Tulane, LSU, Rice, TCU, AZ State, and USC to name a few, and tournaments from SC to CA (including PG WWBA's in ATL) The price is high and is our biggest obstacle, but if we can make it work we will probably go for it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.