Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

papi

S o c c e r is the most popular sport in the entire world

I was on a ferry going to see my mom this morning and they had the Ecuador game on--in fact all the TV's on the ship were tuned into Spnaish station---a young man working on the ship was totally overjoyed by their win--"we scored more goals than the Germans"

Papi--come out of your little world---I am the biggest baseball nut in the world but I also respect the other sports out there and what they represent to their people

U You dont have to like it or watch it but don't knock it!!!

Open your eyes and your mind--The World Cup is the biggest worldwide event you can find
Last edited by TRhit
Biggerpapi,

At the risk of political incorrectness, I'm with you, although Gatorade will remain a part of the seven basic food groups for me.

The World Cup, likely the only kickball I'll ever watch, does demonstrate the players are highly skilled (reminds me of basketball played with the feet), but as for the game, the clock just doesn't work for me, it's not too visually enticing to watch kickball anywhere except when they get down near the goal, penalty kicks are good viewing, and what the heck is with this whole color coded card system?

Alas, one must acknowledge it is a very popular sport in much of the world, but finds little success in this country beyond the youth stage. In my mind, when the kids mature, they're attracted to better things...like baseball! Smile
First of all, the argument of s****r being the most popular sport in the world doesn't work with me.

This is America and s****r is NOT an American sport. We do not need this country to be more like the rest of the world.

I'm coaching 7&8 year olds this summer. There's no way they can learn in s****r what they are learning by playing baseball.

"Run down there and try to kick the ball into that huge net." Duh.
quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
First of all, the argument of s****r being the most popular sport in the world doesn't work with me.

This is America and s****r is NOT an American sport. We do not need this country to be more like the rest of the world.

I'm coaching 7&8 year olds this summer. There's no way they can learn in s****r what they are learning by playing baseball.

Keep preaching on the evils of commie kickball, parnder! I'm with you!!

Communism was once big in the "outside world" as well. Should we have emulated that?

Appeasing terrorists is big in most of the "outside world" today. Should we emulate that?

For crying out loud, commie kickball is big in France! Do we want to start getting used to putting both hands in the air?

At least the Brits try to make up for it by also playing rugby.

By golly, we need to stand alongside the ghost of the great John Wayne, who said "Commie kickball over my dead body!"

And if people insist on discussing commie kickball - DO IT ON A COMMIE KICKBALL BOARD!!!! Don't desecrate the hallowed HS BASEBALL Web!
Last edited by Texan
I have learned so much about socker in the last week from my 17yr old daughters and their friends who have been hogging my big screen. I had to ask them.........

rz1- Why are you watching socker, none of you play?
da girls- Have you REALLY taken the time to look at some of those guys Mr.Z?

rz1- (laughing) Look at all those facial expressions
da girls- We love emotion, don't you? Have you REALLY taken the time to look at some of those guys Mr.Z?

rz1- What's so special about the guys?
da girls- Oh my God! No hats, No helmets, nice legs, short shorts, .....Have you REALLY taken the time to look at some of those guys Mr.Z?

Now I know too much and they know they are starting to get into my head.

I think I figured out why socker is the worlds most popular sport...it's because of short shorts. I was going to argue and turn on some vintage 1970's NBA footage but I guess there is a difference between 5'10 guys running outside in shorts versus ten real tall guys with perms on a small court defending with "hand-checks" and wearing "short shorts". Time for rz1 to go to his room and mumble. At least the girls are not watching skateboarders wearing their jeans to their knees, body tatoos, and dreads.
Last edited by rz1
I was with some of you not too long ago in regards to my view of the "socker" (thanks rz for the alternate spelling). Although I am not a fan of the game, there is something about it that simply amazes me. No, not the short shorts. These guys are seriously athletes like none other. Yeah it might take more skill to hit a 98 mph fastball than to run down a field, but that's just the surface level. Those guys are running for 45 min. straight with only short breaks while the ball is across the field. How many baseball players could run for 45 min. straight, much of which being sprints? Now, throw in the ball. Having the agility to move with the ball at your feet one on one...I know I can't do it. Now put 19 other guys out there (not including goalies) and try to move the ball from one teammate to another while 10 other guys are trying to stop you? The body control that these guys have is simply amazing because they're running one way, and often kicking the ball another direction with some bend on it to wrap it around a defender to give their teammates a legitimate chance at scoring. All while trying to kick it so they don't make their teammate go offsides. Oh, and has anyone mentioned the mental capacity of these guys. Those socker hooligans can be worse than any fans at a baseball game. Fans in the SEC are probably the closest thing in baseball.

Now, in no way am I saying socker is a tougher sport than baseball. When you look at it on the surface, yes, it is just communist kickball, just like how baseball probably appears to be just guys throwing a ball around, to some people. When you look at the skill and strategies that are involved in the game, it is very similar to the intricacies of baseball in that there are so many different variables and skills that players must have. Just remember that if all you see are 98 mph fastballs you can catch up to it. Now mix in some offspeed pitches and it takes a special person to be able to catch up with the heater. It's the same exact way with any other sport! So don't knock one until you understand the intricacies of it!! I know I for one and impressed with these guys' abilities.

But then again, I might just be being brainwashed by my former s****r player girlfriend...
Socker is a sport of global economics. Can you think of another major sport where all you need to play is a ball? Anywhere in the world if you have a ball you can scratch a goal in the dirt and start a game. Minimal costs and a game of human spirit and simple teamwork. It's is a sport where 100 years from now it will still be #1 in the world because it is so economically simple. The USA complicates that fact and the results are obvious, but we in the USA do not see that. We want to throw more money into progams that strengthen our elite teams when the answers with a sport that is so simple is at the grassroots level. You cannot buy passion.
Last edited by rz1
quote:

As TR says there is more to the world than what's between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, and Canada and Mexico.

This IS America, and we belong to this fraternity of other countries on this little thing we call Earth.

Golf is not an American sport, and to me to watch used to be extremely boring, even more so than socker. I didn't start watching golf until I started playing and could appreciate the skill it takes to hit a little white ball with a long stick. Even today I'll pass over a tourney on TV if I think there is something more interestin than golf.

I just finished coahing 7&8 year olds in the spring:

Lessons learned Baseball Socker

Play as a team: check check
How to win with grace: check check
How to lose with dignity: check check
How to respect opponent: check check
Play hard or dont play: check check

I'd say the lessons are similar, but then again you will find these common "life" lesson in most team sports throught the world.

"Stand in there and hit the ball"

Now, where's my dang Gatorade......glug glug
Last edited by Glove Man
The use of 'Take Me Out To The Ballgame' initially struck me as odd, but I believe they are trying to convey 's****r is to the world as baseball to the US'.

The US fans (IIRC) also sang Take Me Out To The Ballgame during the gmae against Mexico (US won 2-0) in '02; maybe Gatorade is hoping the US will repeat the last WC team's performance.

Beckham probably can't hit a 98 mph FB; Jeter probably can't run flat out for 45 minutes; Tiger Woods would probably be useless at the free-throw line, LeBron James probably couldn't throw a pass for a ten yard gain ----- and this all means what? Different skills for different games. Heck, how many MLB pitchers can hit a 98 mph fb? How many OF's could catch a game behind the plate? Different skills for different positions as well.

I live in Florida and couldn't possibly care any less about American football --- pro or college. (And there are folk who move away from me on the Group W bench when they hear that, I can tell you.) It's actually quite easy to ignore what you're not interested in without resorting to nasty comments.
To all the s****r haters:

I too was once one of you. Then, while visiting London on business, a friend took me to a match between Wimbledon and Newcastle United. We sat in the middle of a large group of Newcastle supporters. 90 minutes later I was hooked. Unfortunately, I am hooked on the European game played in Europe where the fans sing and the atmosphere of the games are electric. That just doesn't happen here.

If you ever get a chance, go to a game in a country where s****r is the one and only sport. You may be very pleasantly surprised.
Last edited by Holden Caulfield
Spinedoc,

Isn't fan enthusiasm great Frown.

This all goes back to the simplistic nature of the basic game. Kids from around the world (other than the US) have played the game sometime in their life. As a result they all know the game and have grown up with socker rivalries and passion for the game. As many of these kids grew up to be thugs, became more educated in world geography, and small time terrorism tatics, they expanded their enjoyment of the game.

If any other sport was as big as socker in the world they would have the same issues that the socker community has. I have read where the some of the fans that root for a baseball team from the South side of Chicago have been mentioned as "wanna be's" little brother's of the English rowdies. That will never happen sport wide because it requires across the board passion for the game from youth on and because the US is not a single sport country that life long passion will not happen. In baseball these fans are called purests.
Personally I don't care about s****r and don't really care who wins. Everybody else can watch if they want but just give me access to a HS, college baseball game, another sports channel, or an old movie channel.

As for Gatorade, I didn't particularly care for the fact that they used "take me out to the ball game" for the music. I now just change the channel when that commercial comes on.
spinedoc,

Can't you find a more appropriate site to make your anti-white, race-baiting comments. I'm not saying you're wrong about some of these psycho fans, but there are troublemakers and fanatics everywhere, of all colors and cultures, not just in Germany. There are countless racist incidents at sporting events throughout the world. But I guess you want to be like ESPN and only tell the part of the story that supports your point of view.
spinedoc,

Never saw any of that at games in England or Scotland. Sorry to disappoint. As alluded to by another poster, I have seen that in the Windy City on both sides of town. I seem to remember Hank Aaron running into a bit of it as well, right? Hmmm, now that i think about it, Barroid Bonds has had a few "unusual" items tossed in his direction recently too.

I guess I see your point.
Last edited by Holden Caulfield
After Mitch Williams gave up the home run to Joe Carter in Game 7 of the World Series, a radio DJ gave out William's address and by the next night his house was pelted with eggs, garbage thrown on his lawn, and graffiti drawn on his property. He was forced to move to another city.

More recently, The Bartman was run out of Chicago for trying to catch a foul ball.

In Brazil, a socker player was killed by the local drug cartel for making a blunder that cost Brazil the game.

As for Barry Bonds, he had syringes thrown out on the field near him. I don't think anyone was trying to hurt him.
This reminds me of ending a phone conversation years ago when the kids were small and we were living in England; I said, 'gotta go, we're taking the children to go see the Christmas lights on Oxford Street.' These, of course, were the days when the Christmas shopping season was heralded by Thanksgiving in the US and the first IRA bomb on Oxford Street.

"You're NOT taking those babies to Oxford Street!" cries my friend, at home in Dallas. Says I, "I can guarentee you more people died last week in violent crimes in Dallas than have died in the last 10 years from IRA bombs on Oxford Street." Your response depends on the violence you're used to.

In the US we have some fan violence and property destruction (You may also recall the young woman who died during the BoSox' 'celebrations'); probably not so much as some other countries on a per capita basis, but probably more than others.

Conversely, the European s****r hooligans would be appalled at the violence we in the US take as daily fare on the news.

Many football stadia (most when hooliganism was rife in the '80's) primary "seating" isn't seating at all, it's barred-off enclosures where fans stand for the match --- your ticket is to a certain 'pen'. Imagine, if you will, a critical Yankees-Red Sox game, complete with beer, where there were no barriers between heckling fans. Think the odd punch might get thrown?
Last edited by Orlando
quote:
Originally posted by Dear old Dad:
spinedoc,

Can't you find a more appropriate site to make your anti-white, race-baiting comments. I'm not saying you're wrong about some of these psycho fans, but there are troublemakers and fanatics everywhere, of all colors and cultures, not just in Germany. There are countless racist incidents at sporting events throughout the world. But I guess you want to be like ESPN and only tell the part of the story that supports your point of view.

Please tell me how ESPN could have put a positive spin on that story. I was absolutely appauled, and I would say the same thing about baseball if I saw a story like that about it.
Spinedoc, the problem I have with ESPN is their one sided reporting. You will never hear a story on ESPN(or any MSM network) about a white person who experiences racism. They believe only whites are capable of racism. White socker teams routinely experience racism when they travel to Africa to play teams there. But ESPN never will report racism when the victim is white. In fact, in South Africa, whites are being systematically exterminated by the black government. But you won't see any story of an innocent white farmer being murdered by the military for his land on the six o'clock news.

JT,

Like I said, believing that what you watch on the mainstream media is a balanced, fair and accurate report of any story is dangerous and foolhardy thinking. And just to show you how powerful the media is, Holden Caulfield gave his honest, eyewitness account of European socker to this board and was quickly ridiculed for disagreeing with ESPN. The truth is, that you and Spindoc have no idea of how prevalent racism is at Euro socker games. You just blindly take ESPN's word for it. I want to ask both Spinedoc and JT who they believe more, Holden or ESPN. Holden says he saw no evidence of racism at any of the games he attended and ESPN showed footage that made the average socker game look like a neo-nazi rally. So, what is the truth?
Dear old Dad...with all due respect.....don't know how you truly know what others are thinking, or how they are influenced.

Well....got my guy to watch socker today....convinced him to watch and not cheer for socker...but for the USA....it worked until the Gatorade commercial ran....I'd not seen it before.....well now he won't watch socker anymore...or buy Gatorade.....

If the officiating keeps up like it has been....I may give socker up too.....
Last edited by LadyNmom
quote:
Originally posted by CCKnights:
These guys are seriously athletes like none other. Yeah it might take more skill to hit a 98 mph fastball than to run down a field, but that's just the surface level. Those guys are running for 45 min. straight with only short breaks while the ball is across the field. How many baseball players could run for 45 min. straight, much of which being sprints?

Had the misfortune of being in a restaurant where they had commie kickball on the screen. I sure didn't seen anyone running nonstop, much less sprinting. Saw lots of flopping on the ground. Plenty of standing, walking, half jogging. Some guy in long sleeves standing by a net doing needle work...
I won't get into the discussion of whether I like s****r (prefer baseball of course ha ha ) BUT I will comment on use of Take Me Out To the Ball Game in Gatorade S****r commercial... I think it's ridiculous and it REALLY irritated me. I understand everyone's statements that S****r is hugely popular and that's why Gatorade was using the song HOWEVER... THE LYRICS OF THE SONG ARE ABOUT BASEBALL, unless I'm missing something and "1,2,3 strikes you're out" means something in s****r. Therefor I cannot stand this commercial. The song is meant for baseball, NO NEED to share it with s****r!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.