Skip to main content

Nice article in today's Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star: Boys of Summer Still Taking to Legion Fields.

An excerpt:

quote:
... The longtime amateur league is still alive and well in the area. Six local teams began play earlier this month in Districts 12 and 16. Two of them, Spotsylvania Post 320 and Culpeper Post 330, made major investments in field renovations.

Following a busy month in July, both districts will hold tournaments to determine their representatives for the state playoffs in Danville.

While participation on showcase teams may offer greater visibility, many players like American Legion's camaraderie and competition.

"I think more and more upperclassmen are coming back to legion ball," said Stafford Post 290 Americans coach Richard Beard, a former player himself. "They get to play more innings and it's more competitive than people think." ...
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Post 280 Greenbier is coming together, has lots of talent including:

Cody Cox - ODU
Dean Ali - ODU
Matt Dickason - Longwood
Josh Carter - Rappahonock
Hunter Kinsey - Rappahonock
Jordan Adair - Chesapeake Col.
James Bedi - Greenbrier Christian
Nick Michaud - Indian River
Troy Aplin - Oscar Smith
and many others

Coached by Larry Bowles - Oscar Smith, he is doing a great job meshing the talent and personalities.
Cape Henry 204 has John Bowman, Buddy Lawson, Tyler Pitt, Michael Rienerth, Connor Parker, Tyler Fubert, Blake Whithead, David Berman,and others, nice squad. Legion ball has been great, hope more schools get teams next year,Legion Teams do lose alot of players on weekends to showcase, thats something that needs to be worked out, overall, Legion has a been a great experience.
The decision to play Legion generally involves where the kid is in terms of being recruited for the next level if that is their goal

seems like with Legion there are alot of kids who have already committed to colleges that are playing.

Also have some kids who feel pretty strongly they will be seen by who they want to see them through te Legion program

And occasionly kids home for the Summer play if eligible.

Legion looks a whole lot more like baseball than some of the showcase tournamts I have seen.... I think the differnce is baseball is played as more of a team sport on the Legion teams.
The emphasis on the showcase side is much more wrapped round individual interests of the players/families/coaches
Raising the age limit to 19 has helped Legion a lot. You now see a fair number of kids coming home after their freshman years to play Legion. That in turn makes it a more competitive venue for the younger kids to aim for.

Still, it's kind of hit and miss from post to post. And from the standpoint of scouting, around here at least you really don't see it to any significant extent. A player aiming for D-1 but not yet committed would be well advised to look at Legion when he's older, after he's gone through the recruiting cycle.
had the pleasure of watching Indian River SS play agianst me tonight, wow, what a great player and class act, Matt Dickson is as good as it gets, to those who question the talent of American legion baseball, tonight saw no less then 10 all beach and SED players play 2 great games. I hope American Legion gets bigger and better every year, and Cody Cox is as good as advertised. Oh, and Josh Carter is just terrefic.
A good number of Post 290's two teams, Americans and Nationals, were selected for the Commonwealth All-District and Fredericksburg All-Area teams. A lot of talent from what I've seen in two years of watching Legion ball. I also enjoy the 9-inning games, though it really makes one think hard about how to best use pitchers... Here is a link to all the Virginia American Legion teams.
Last edited by VaBaseballDad
Yes, they are good kids...Its a reflection of their parents. Had a chance to play AAU with them and we might not have been the #1 team in the state, but we sure had fun!!!

quote:
Originally posted by odubaseball:
had the pleasure of watching Indian River SS play agianst me tonight, wow, what a great player and class act, Matt Dickson is as good as it gets, to those who question the talent of American legion baseball, tonight saw no less then 10 all beach and SED players play 2 great games. I hope American Legion gets bigger and better every year, and Cody Cox is as good as advertised. Oh, and Josh Carter is just terrefic.
So far, American Legion has been a very good experience and a great decision for my son and our family. My son is playing his first year of Legion before he heads off for college baseball in 6 weeks. Our biggest concern was over-pitching or too much throwing. That hasn't happened.

The competition is pretty good in the Richmond area, there is little travel, and the Post covers their expenses. He has time to do his college workout and make some money with part time jobs. The Post is very supportive, and the coaches have managed his pitch count and playing time very well. I think he has a new found respect for our veterans and country as well.

As Midlo pointed out, "it is hit or miss from post to post". I take that comment to mean coaching and talent. There is certainly a lot of talent on the field with college players, future college players and strong high school players. The jury is still out for me on the coaching level, and game strategies & tactics in our Legion district. From a distance, I've seen some interesting choices. In the coaches defense, it is a put together team that is expected to gel quickly in 6-8 weeks....tough task. It is also tough to evaluate talent in a short period of time.

Also, that extra 2 innings can really make the difference in the outcome. A lot of pitching is needed to get by in a Legion week. Overall, it has been a very good experience as we've hooked up with some old friends and made some new ones too.
Last edited by fenwaysouth
One thing I have noticed with legion ball, at least in my area, is the number of people in the community that come out to the games and support the local teams.

I'm refferring to people who don't have kids on the team, those who simply come to enjoy the game.

It warms my heart to see the old timers...... and listen to them talk about "their boy" on the mound throwing 89 - it's really cool....

These legion teams instill pride from within their commuinties.

I love showcase, but there is something different about legion...
Last edited by Flying Dutchman
I think Legion is different in that there is more of an emphasis on the team part of baseball To me it is a big plus if a kid understands that - how to be part of a team and how to play together as a team.
It is alos fun to see a young kid get his first hit or first chance on the mound and doing a good job.
Cannot really say anythig here about the coaches...these guys come out 4 days a week, suit up in a uniform with the kids, and work very hard- the ones I have been around have tremendous baseball knowledge and are all good people.
For the kids/families that dont get to experience this brand of baseball I think they are missing out on something very special.
Just tonight I attended an All Star event for the area Legion players...Looking around the stadium there were two Radford Coaches, Randolph Macon, VMI, Ga Tech, Head UVA Coach, and VCU among others...I thought "wow" players didnt even have to go to Georgia to have a shot at being seen by some pretty good programs
Flying Dutchman - I agree. There is somthing (different and good) about Legion. It is much more of a community and team "thing".

stillearning - i think it is a slippery slope when you compare Showcases like World Wood Bat to Legion in terms of exposure and recruiting. It is tough for Legion to measure up to the numbers. The goal of showcases is to be seen by as many coaches/scouts as possible. It is a numbers exercise. There are a couple HUNDRED college coaches and scouts at East Cobb, Georgia during 16U, 17U, 18U WWBA tournament. There are a half dozen at the Legion All Star event(rising seniors only) for the Richmond area. BTW - You are exactly right about the Legion coaches who've donated their time to these teams. It is a huge undertaking. Many thanks to them. My comment (above) was directed at the in-game choices & decisions. But that is the nature of baseball, somebody in the stands is always wondering "what is the coach thinking?". ;-)

My two cents...The end goals of Showcase and Legion are different. In terms of recruiting, I'll take Showcase & WWBA all day long. In terms of enjoyment, and a sense of team & community I'll take Legion any day.
Last edited by fenwaysouth
Post 60 played Cape Henry Post 204 last night to a 8-2 win for 60.Post 60 hit the first pitcher(#9) early,moved to short where he equally struggled.Middle relief pitcher definitely had a harder throw even a little more accurate ,but didn't stop the 60 hits.Berman seemed to be the only one hitting for 204.
Post 60 played Post 280 Greenbrier the previous night to a 16 -6 victory.Defensively 280 was struggling with 60's hits.I had the pleasure of watching both these games!Good luck to all as the season comes to a close. I am sure next time will be different. Smile
Ok Redbird, 1st of all, what he said was not accurate, #9 gane up 4 hits and 2 runs in 3 innings, and made ever play at SS, 2nd of all, you think its right to post a players number and say inaccurate things on this forum? Hit close to home? that's not the point, NO ONE SHOULD CRITIZE A PLAYER, coaches and parents, thats o.k, I wasnt at game but coach Dotolo Post 60 called after game, and his account of game is different then NOMADAD.
and lastly, no one should talk about a player unless they know every detail of that player's summer. Coach Dotolo from post 60 would take #9 anyday of the week. Yeah, BUSH LEAGUE.
Well, then we disagree. He may have been inaccurate but I don't see where it was mean or even critcial. Had he said #9 sucked...that's being critical and out of line...but he didn't.

No one said #9 wasn't a good player. redbirdjr has had games where he couldn't block a beachball or throw out his grandmother. It's part of the game. I've learned to worry less about what anonymous people on the board think and more what people I trust think (like Dotes).

Don't talk about a player unless they know every detail of his summer? Then I guess we won't talk about anyone.

I like #9. I just think you are overreacting.
Last edited by redbird5
Lets recount NOMADAD comments, he should have said Post 60 hit the ball well, Bushara lead off game with triple, you see Redbird, positives, not take a direct shot at #9 and make bogus statements, like equally struggled at SS, that nevr happened, so why say anything negative, when other players had good games. That is my point
If s kid has a bad game ....the kid had a bad game. I saw David wright 0-4 against the Braves and he makes millions. Beleive me, Ive learned the players know when they dont play well. They dont need people running their chops and rubbing it in.

quote:
Originally posted by redbird5:
Well, then we disagree. He may have been inaccurate but I don't see where it was mean or even critcial. Had he said #9 sucked...that's being critical and out of line...but he didn't.

No one said #9 wasn't a good player. redbirdjr has had games where he couldn't block a beachball or throw out his grandmother. It's part of the game. I've learned to worry less about what anonymous people on the board think and more what people I trust think (like Dotes).

Don't talk about a player unless they know every detail of his summer? Then I guess we won't talk about anyone.

I like #9. I just think you are overreacting.
Last edited by no way
To get the beautiful Rose it takes a little manure. It seems to me we have placed some of these kids in a glass temple. It’s ok to mention the two home runs Johnny hit, but not the three strikeouts he had next game. Opinions are a part of the make up of all sports. That is why the draft each year looks different depending on the “expert” you ask. As a persons opinion becomes better known and more accurate to your interpretation of the events then more regard will come with that person. I regard Midlo dad as a pretty reasonable baseball mind. Do not know him, have never met him but his posts are taken by me as a valuable resource. Others as well.
Last edited by bxbomber
quote:
Originally posted by fenwaysouth:
My two cents...The end goals of Showcase and Legion are different. In terms of recruiting, I'll take Showcase & WWBA all day long. In terms of enjoyment, and a sense of team & community I'll take Legion any day.

Great observation Fenway and well said.

Having coached in both venues and had a kid play showcase and legion ball I'll take Legion ball overall. Watching kids from 4-5 HS teams come together to play together after competing against one another all spring speaks volumes about what the American Legion represents in our communities.

Many of the kids playing legion ball are headed to the next level. Interesting thing about it is they fit right in with the ones who are having once last hurrah after HS ball is over.

BTW....agree with all who are calling out Nomadad for his snarky comments. I saw both games as well. Things went the other way for 204 and 280 the last time the teams played Post 60. That's how the game is....the worm turns fast.
Top-seeded Nationals lead way into District 16 tourney via the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star. Excerpt follows:

quote:
Two years ago, the Stafford Post 290 Nationals advanced to the American Legion baseball state playoffs the hard way.

Coach Jerry Gernhard's squad lost its second game in the District 16 double-elimination tournament, and then won seven straight in five days to capture the championship and a berth in the state tournament.

As the No. 1 seed in this year's district tournament, the stage is set for another deep run, and Gernhard believes he has all of the necessary pieces in place to make it happen.

The unbeaten Nationals have won 16 straight games to earn the top spot in the 12-team event, which gets under way tomorrow at six locations. They'll host Warrenton Post 72 at Stafford's Legion Field at 7 p.m.

Post 290's other team, the fourth-seeded Americans (11-7), will take on Front Royal Post 53 at 7 p.m. in a contest tentatively scheduled for Stafford High School. In another game tomorrow, Culpeper Post 330 visits No. 3 seed Manassas Post 158, also at 7 p.m.

All of the first-round games are single-elimination. Double-elimination play continues Wednesday through Friday at the higher-seeded teams, and then shifts to Fauquier on Saturday for the championship game.

The state tournament will be held in Danville next week, starting on Tuesday.
In today's Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star - Black, Edwards lead Nationals to victory over Winchester. An excerpt follows:

quote:
The Stafford Post 290 Nationals needed extra innings last night, but kept their record unbeaten in the American Legion District 16 baseball tournament. The top-seeded Nationals (17-0) defeated Winchester Post 21, 6-5 in 10 innings.

Jake Black drove in Matt Edwards with the winning run after Post 21 had tied the score in the ninth. Earlier, Edwards belted a two-run home run for Stafford.

The Nationals will face second-seeded Leesburg Post 181 at 7 p.m. tonight in the winner's bracket final at Stafford's Legion Field...
Last edited by VaBaseballDad
More on the Post 290 Nationals in the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star - Nationals reach final:

quote:
For the second time in three years, the Stafford Post 290 Nationals are headed to the championship round of the District 16 American Legion baseball tournament.

Last night, the top-seeded Nationals spotted second-seeded Leesburg Post 181 an early 3-0 lead and then roared back to claim a 12-7 victory and advance to tonight's final at Fauquier High School.

Pitcher Matt Edwards earned the win with seven strikeouts in six innings, while Garrett Marin and James Flores paced the offense with three hits apiece. Dustin Hunt added two hits and two RBIs.

The Nationals will play at 7 p.m. against the winner of the 10 a.m. loser's bracket final between Leesburg and Front Royal Post 53.
Latest on the Post 290 Nationals in the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star - Nationals take district. Excerpt follows:

quote:
Last night, the Stafford Post 290 Nationals made sure they did not have to deal with the heat for a fourth straight day. The Nationals (19-0) broke open a close game and pounded Front Royal Post 53 20-4 to win the American Legion District 16 baseball title at Fauquier High School.

The Nationals' victory eliminated the need for a deciding game today and earned them a trip to Danville later this week to compete in the state tournament. It will be Stafford's second appearance in the last three years.

Post 290 recorded 18 hits in last night's contest. Jacob Gernhard had four hits and three RBIs, while Garrett Marin contributed three hits and four RBIs. Kyle Angelet, Brandon Carroll and Tyler Smith added two hits apiece.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.