Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You can't ask questions like that in a vacuum ... Have you been throwing pens otherwise?  Taking instruction with throwing?  Is your arm properly ramped up in general?  How does it fit your throwing schedule otherwise?  Assuming you are pretty well ramped up and don't have any other throwing commitments immediately around those dates, it shouldn't be an issue.

Further, you want to make sure you are sharp and strong for these events.  Don't jump into one, for example, if you are just coming off of a rest period and haven't at least ramped up to pen work.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Depends on the kid.  If you know you have a camp coming up and you don't throw for a month prior to it then throw a 25 pitch bullpen 2 days before, it's probably not going to help much.   Son "stayed loose" all winter...just some long toss every few days when he could find someone to throw with him.  Maybe an occasional bullpen every 10 days or so..... then would ramp it up a bit 10 days or so before he had a camp so that he was ready to go full go on camp day.  There's not much reason to go to a camp as a pitcher if you're going to be at 75%.   My son went to one camp at a D1.  There were 3 pitchers there that he knew who had been 86-87 the summer before.  They were all at 82-83.  He had been 82-83 all summer....and was 84 at the camp.  Needless to say, one of the coaches noticed my son since he was higher velo than the other 3 guys.  Son had to tell him that that was his best velo ever lol.   The interest kind of went away....but at least at that point the coach knew of him....and actually did get in contact with him after seeing him throw the next summer

Agree with both responses The answer to your question is dependent on numerous variables. The only thing I would add is that a 25 pitch pen can mean different things to different pitchers. Just your comment “light” means different things to different pitchers. Is he using non-throwing exercises to get warm? Does he need to throw a bunch to get loose? Those things all factor in to the demands placed on the arm when throwing a bullpen.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.