Skip to main content

My son is fortunate to be a freshman LHP at a P5 school that he loves. We live in the upper Midwest and attends school 13 hours to our southwest. He has the opportunity to play this summer in either the California Collegiate League or the Northwoods League (our local team).

We are very familiar with the +/- of the NWL, as we've had the pleasure to be a host family for the last 8 years.  On the other hand, we don't know much about the good and bad of the CCL.

At this point, his college is leaving the decision up to him as to where he wants to spend his summer.  As a family, we would love to have him live at home and get to see him play on a regular basis.......... We have pledged full support of his decision either way.

Any info on the CCL would be greatly appreciated.  

Costs, host families, transportation, schedule..........???

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't know anything about the NW league and next to nothing about the CCL (have a friend who played in it a couple of years ago and had a blast), but keep in mind that the state of California is BIG.  the league goes from Orange County to Napa which is probably 7 hours by car (assuming you're driving pretty fast) so probably 8 hours or more by bus.  I know the NWL is pretty spread out, too, but at least it looks spread out on paper.  

Not to introduce complexity to his decision for things impossible to predict, but if my son was in your son's situation, I probably couldn't help but wonder which league is more likely to actually have a season with the virus likely still a factor.  Maybe neither one is better than the other from that perspective, but it could be a bummer if one played and the other didn't, and he had chosen the one with no games.  Best of luck to him, both seem like excellent options for a freshman.

My son played in the CCL and had teammates who played in Northwoods. I believe they both play around 50 games and travel a lot so both are a grind and will give a player a feel for what the minor leagues are like.

As someone posted the CCL teams are spread out so there is a lot of travel. There is also a big difference in the quality of the teams so he should know in advance which team he is being put on. The Santa Barbara Foresters are usually the class of the league and there is frankly no better place in the world to be during the summer than SB. They play at the UCSB stadium, or at least used to.

The San Luis Obispo Blues used to also be very good but I looked and they appear to have dropped. San Luis Obispo is a long way from all of the other teams so they will likely have more overnight travel.  The Orange County team seems to also be a very competitive team.

http://calsummerball.com/2019-ccl-standings/

The league winner plays in the summer Collegiate World Series so a long season gets even longer for the top team. There is also a CCL All Star game that is heavily scouted by pro teams.

Post or IM the team he is supposed to be on and I can provide some more insight.

Last edited by BOF
@BOF posted:

My son played in the CCL and had teammates who played in Northwoods. I believe they both play around 50 games and travel a lot so both are a grind and will give a player a feel for what the minor leagues are like.

As someone posted the CCL teams are spread out so there is a lot of travel. There is also a big difference in the quality of the teams so he should know in advance which team he is being put on. The Santa Barbara Foresters are usually the class of the league and there is frankly no better place in the world to be during the summer than SB. They play at the UCSB stadium, or at least used to.

The San Luis Obispo Blues used to also be very good but I looked and they appear to have dropped. San Luis Obispo is a long way from all of the other teams so they will likely have more overnight travel.  The Orange County team seems to also be a very competitive team.

http://calsummerball.com/2019-ccl-standings/

The league winner plays in the summer Collegiate World Series so a long season gets even longer for the top team. There is also a CCL All Star game that is heavily scouted by pro teams.

Post or IM the team he is supposed to be on and I can provide some more insight.

Son was told he would be on the SB Foresters this summer.

CCL did not play in 2020 but some teams played a short season, including the Healdsburg Prunepackers.  I'm sure they'll put something together in 2020. They are usually a very strong team - both Spencer Torkelson and Andrew Vaughn are recent players - with a very solid coach. Great place to spend a summer,  too. The team has a great fan base, but to be clear, I don't think the league draws that many scouts.  Torkelson and Vaughn went to the Cape when it was time to be seen by the pros.

Last edited by JCG

2020 Lefty, I totally get the preference to have him nearer home and, no doubt, Northwoods is first rate.  On the other hand, if your son hasn't had the opportunity to spend much time in California, this could be a great opportunity.  Having grown up in the Upper Midwest, I would have killed for a chance to spend a summer in some of these places as a college age kid.  Most locations and organizations in CCL are great.  There are significant differences in home locations, though.  We live very near San Luis and not too far from Santa Barbara.  Those two in particular are both well run, good fan base and awesome places to be in the summer.  Some others are much closer to very big cities and have the associated traffic and societal issues.  I too would be glad to answer more specific questions if you'd like to PM me regarding a specific team he may have an opportunity with.  Several of my former HS  and travel players have played in the league and one son coached a season for the Arroyo Seco team... good people.  There are one or two where I would be inclined to pass.

Go44, that's a great pull!!!  If you come out to visit and happen to head up the road for one of the Foresters/SLO Blues games, let me know!

Last edited by cabbagedad

I get the playing close to home but to spend a summer in Santa Barbara would be pretty special for a college Soph, plus they are a very well managed team.

There are people who can live any where in the world and chose to live Santa Barbara, just as a FYI. 

https://enroll.professional.uc...l/beautiful-ucsb.jsp

If he ends up out here I would certainly come up for a game. (I live about 40 mins south by car)

As a former resident [11 years] of Santa Barbara, I have many great memories.

My son and I "worked out" at the Pershing Park [Forester's Home field] near the famous West beach, Sterns Wharf,  harbor and Santa Barbara City College.

Visit the old Mission a real history lesson. My neighbor and great friend was Duncan Renaldo {Cisco Kid - TV Series].

Santa Barbara at one time had a Class A Pro team.

Bob

This will echo previous comments, which are all very good. Santa Barbara is one of the most awesome places I have been in the continental US. No doubt about that. And both leagues are very competitive and well run. You can’t make a bad choice between those two. I would advise you to take a good look at the travel once you know the specific team your son will play for. It can be very different from team to team. I agree with 9and7 that the most important criteria in making a decision is determining which league is more likely to play their season. I would be a little nervous about CCL - but maybe that’s just me. But considering some of the nonsense that goes on in Cali you have to think about it.

@Go44dad posted:

Can someone experienced with college summer ball enlighten me on the costs for my son? Do they put him to work taking care of the fields, etc?

Host families, is there a cost? Transportation to California. Is there a per diem?

And when I say for my son, I mean coming out of my wallet.

Thanks

found an thread from a couple years ago...https://community.hsbaseballweb.com/topic/collegiate-summer-league-fees-question

That thread is still relevant but just remember each league and each team are different.  Some require fees some don't.  Each league is different and each team is different and each housing situation is different even within the same team.  I think one of the greatest unknowns from my kids experience is the housing.  It can make or break it for the experience.  My son had really good and downright despicable.  He had to threaten to go home one summer to get moved and he moved from a trash dump with a grandpa sleeping in the living room and having to room with a 10 year old kid to a pool house beside a mansion.

@Go44dad posted:

Can someone experienced with college summer ball enlighten me on the costs for my son? Do they put him to work taking care of the fields, etc?

Host families, is there a cost? Transportation to California. Is there a per diem?

And when I say for my son, I mean coming out of my wallet.

Thanks

No summer leagues in Texas?

Every league, every team is different, mine as a pitcher, worked a few hours a day either at camp or picking up rocks on the field. His pay went for his room and board. He drove up with his other teammates going to Cape, then given a car by his host family. He only played one summer.

Unless one is headed to a premier league as a prospect, I wouldn't spend the money, especially a rising sophmore. 

JMO

@TPM posted:

Every league, every team is different, mine as a pitcher, worked a few hours a day either at camp or picking up rocks on the field. His pay went for his room and board. He drove up with his other teammates going to Cape, then given a car by his host family. He only played one summer.

Unless one is headed to a premier league as a prospect, I wouldn't spend the money, especially a rising sophmore.

JMO

The summer Collegiate Leagues in Texas aren’t what they used to be. The Texas Collegiate League has a few successful (and stable) franchises (Bryan Bombers being the most notable) but the league as a whole is on the decline. And TCL is the most legit league in the state. Texas heat may have something to do with it but for whatever reason collegiate summer baseball has not taken hold in Texas the way it has in other parts of the nation.

@TPM posted:

JMO

Hard to imagine telling the coaching staff no thanks on that summer placement thing. Plenty of rocks to pick up in California, I'm sure.

@Go44dad posted:

Hard to imagine telling the coaching staff no thanks on that summer placement thing. Plenty of rocks to pick up in California, I'm sure.

Back then, not sure now, you had to work a few hours a day on his team, Falmouth, just to make sure that you didnt party at night after a game. It was really good, because it kind of simulated college schedule, playing a game, getting home late and then off to class in the morning.

I forgot about the Texas heat. When son played in  AA TL, it was brutal.

Last edited by TPM
@2020Lefty posted:

My son got word that he would be placed at the Walnut Creek Crawdads if he chose the CCL.

Any info on this team, living conditions,  travel........greatly appreciated.

Hey Lefty,

Looks like you didn't get a ton of response to this specifically... not sure if you got much via PM?

I don't have a lot of familiarity with the Crawdads program specifically.  So, I will throw in some general pro's and con's...

Walnut Creek is, as Consultant stated, in a very nice, wealthy area of the East Bay.  I personally really like the feel of the campus at St. Mary's - like you are far removed from the surrounding huge Bay Area craziness.  A bit of a haven.  That said, the player would not be conveniently near any beach setting like he would with many of the others like the Foresters, Blues, Arroyo Seco, Orange County, etc.  And, considering the heavy game schedule of the league, not sure he would get the opportunity to get off far enough to explore the coast.  He would more likely be doing short day trips to SF where there is a ton to see.  It just may or may not be the things a young ballplayer may have in mind when offered the chance to spend the summer in California.

Any thoughts on playing in the Expedition League? It's still new-ish, but seems to be expanding, which in this environment seems encouraging. Never see the league ranked anywhere, but maybe they aspire to be a future Northwoods? TheRightScuffSon has a contract offer to play in it next summer but his permanent address is about five (rather large) states away. The teams are really spaced out, so I imagine travel would be exhausting.

@baseballhs posted:

That brings me to another question. Are the players allowed to rent a house while they are there or are they required to stay with host families?

In most cases it’s better for the player to stay with a host family - as long as that family has a good track record of hosting other players in prior years. A good host family can add to the experience in many ways - not the least of which is providing some semblance of home life with a family.

We have hosted players for the NWL for the last 8 yrs. That being said, I agree with adbono. In the case of the NWL, it is a grueling schedule and it takes a toll on the player. Having a good host family for support is a critical part of the season.  Almost to the man, each and every one of our players was ready to go home at some point in the season. Having a family support the player makes a big difference, IMO.

Proper rest, nutrition and nurturing are a big part of keeping these guys on track when they are tired and realize that they came from college, are going to play 72 games in 75 days and then head right back to school.

As my son starts his college season today, summer ball is only a short time away. I fully expect that he will need all the support that I mentioned above.

@2020Lefty posted:

My son is fortunate to be a freshman LHP at a P5 school that he loves. We live in the upper Midwest and attends school 13 hours to our southwest. He has the opportunity to play this summer in either the California Collegiate League or the Northwoods League (our local team).

We are very familiar with the +/- of the NWL, as we've had the pleasure to be a host family for the last 8 years.  On the other hand, we don't know much about the good and bad of the CCL.

At this point, his college is leaving the decision up to him as to where he wants to spend his summer.  As a family, we would love to have him live at home and get to see him play on a regular basis.......... We have pledged full support of his decision either way.

Any info on the CCL would be greatly appreciated.  

Costs, host families, transportation, schedule..........???

Thanks in advance for your help!!

This isnt about the league but some parental advice. Please take it with the spirit intended. This is for everyone who has a pitcher.

Sons first collegiate year he pitched 70ish innings.  He had been headed to the Cape. Coach called to discuss with us that he didnt need to play summer ball, he needed time off, so he stayed at school and got paid working summer camp and had fun up at the lake. This was a good choice because he was able to have much needed instruction that sophomore fall to correct some mechanics.

If your son doesnt see a lot of time on the mound playing summer ball is great, but if he puts in a lot of work freshman year, he doesnt need to play summer ball, he wont be missing anything.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.