Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've never seen a HS or college pitcher call their own pitches....and not sure how that would even work.   In HS, our catcher knew my son well (they had been teammates since LL) that the coach let him call his own game.....though as is always the case, the pitcher could shake off calls he didn't like.   In college, the PC called the pitches....and it drove me crazy....as some seemed leary of shaking off some calls....even if they were obviously not the best pitch for him in certain situations.

@Good Knight posted:

It is getting to me also. I hate the strategy of FB thru the order once and then some CB's.

He has a slider and a killer CU but never called.

Having said that, we are 11-0 and he has 40 k's so far in 19 IP, but seems to me that if they see FB too often it is easier to hit.

Lots of HS coaches try to keep things simple. They are going to try to win with the fewest moving parts. So if nobody can hit your grandson’s FB he isn’t likely to call much of anything else. That strategy is much better for the coach than it is for your grandson’s development as a pitcher. My advice is for your guy to work on his secondary stuff between starts so it’s ready when he needs it. Coach isn’t gonna change his stripes. Choose your battles.

Every pitcher is different so I don’t believe in a one size fits all approach to calling pitches. The game plan and pitch sequences should be tailored to the strengths of each individual pitcher. Then it’s up to the C, P & PC to adjust as the game goes on based on what’s working and what the strike zone is that day. Not much of that goes on at the HS level but it does in college. In HS lineups there are usually only 2 or 3 guys that are really good hitters and it’s not too hard to navigate around those guys. So a simple approach is often enough. In college every guy in the opposing lineup can hit. It takes more strategy to get them out. To me (once you have mastered at least one secondary pitch) the answer is to not throw the batter what he wants to hit. In a fastball count (like 2-0) I have had much more success throwing a change up than a FB. It drives me crazy to watch a game when the pitch called is predictable based on the count - and I see it all the time. Especially if the C is calling pitches.

In HS, son's games were called by his catcher (11th pick in 2015 draft and on Reds roster now), in college not so much and could shake or swipe off pitches. In Milb, he had this one catcher who only....or primarily called FBs, like all the time and son got frustrated and started shaking until another pitch got called. One time he after he had talked to the catcher prior to the game he said he shook about 6 times and finally got his pitch. Funny. That catcher has since been traded and no more of those issues.

Coaches calling the game at college level. I understand it, but sometimes the process of getting signs in seems cumbersome now that everyone is going to the wristband and changing signals, etc. I also think it's hard when you get a new coach who maybe doesn't know the pitchers and their strong pitches as well.

Son got to call his own pitches on first night in summer league. He said he spiked more changeups in that game than he threw in college season. Struck out 10, so something was going right.

The Coach needs to train the catcher of how to call the pitches. The catcher when he receives the pitch can feel the velocity, the weight of the pitch. The pitcher's best pitch will vary from "day to day". The catcher can notice the adjustments the hitter makes. Open to closed stance, close to plate, off the plate, hand choking the bat of on the knob. The coach in the dugout cannot see the "little" adjustments.

Besides I would have a player on my bench who "sole" role in today's game is to steal the signs from Coach to his Catcher.

When I coached the Santa Rosa Summer team, we had 3 very good catchers. One is now the MLB Orioles catching instructor, the other two father's were Pro Catchers reaching AA. Remember as a Coach, we are developing players to take responsibility and to "think" for themselves.

Bob

I don’t know of any sec teams that let catchers call pitches.  That should say something.  I just think very few catchers can study batters like coaches can and have information at their fingertips.  I do believe the coaches who do it right are efficient and talk to catchers and pitchers during outing.  Ours talks to pitchers every half inning.  What’s working what’s not.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.