Skip to main content

SU adds former WVU assistant

WINCHESTER, Va. - Shenandoah University Head Baseball Coach Kevin Anderson announced Tuesday that he has hired Bruce Cameron to be his full-time assistant.

Cameron comes to Shenandoah after spending the past 11 years as an assistant baseball coach at West Virginia University. He replaces Kirk Renegar, who resigned in June to become a high school head coach in Tennessee.

Cameron has been the Mountaineers top assistant for the past nine years after serving the NCAA Division I school as a volunteer assistant and first base coach for two seasons.

During that 11-year span, Cameron helped WVU to three seasons of at least 36 victories and Big East Tournament berths in 1998, 2003, 2006 and 2008. As the squad’s outfielders coach, Cameron saw 13 players at that position earn All-Big East honors.

Additionally, Cameron has experience as head coach in both the Coastal Plain and Atlantic Collegiate summer baseball leagues.

“When Kirk decided to resign, I immediately thought of Bruce as someone I wanted to speak to about this position,” Anderson said. “He has an excellent baseball mind and has been a tireless recruiter.

“I have every confidence that he is going to help us continue to raise the level of our program.”

Since coming to Shenandoah for the 2004 season, Anderson has led the Hornets to 118 victories including a second-best-in-school-history 27 in 2007.

With Cameron’s addition to the staff, he and Anderson combine to have 25 years of NCAA Division I coaching and playing experience.

Prior to coming to West Virginia, Cameron was the head coach at Catonsville (Md.) Community College and served as an assistant at both Catonsville and in high school.

“I would like to thank (SU President) Dr. Fitzsimmons, (Athletic Director) John Hill and Kevin Anderson for the opportunity to come to Shenandoah,” Cameron said. “I look forward to working with Kevin to help bring a USA South Championship to SU.”

In his coaching career, over 50 of his players have either been drafted or signed professional baseball contracts.

Cameron is a 1993 graduate of Concordia (N.Y.) College and earned his master’s degree from WVU. He and his wife, Lisa, have one son, Bruce Matthew, who will be two in January.

He will begin his full-time duties on Monday, June 28.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, Coach....I stand corrected and you were right.

In today's Charleston Daily Mail newspaper..."Cameron was being paid $32,0000 a year at WVU..." Wow! Top assistant coach at a Big East school....11 years there...good reputation as a hard working recruiter....seems they could have found some more budget money somewhere. I know Morgantown is probably not an expensive place to live, but that's a pretty low salary.

Makes you wonder what the head coach is making.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.