Skip to main content

BBMomAZ posted:

My 2020 recently committed to a high academic school. One of the major considerations for him was to find a school that would not put restrictions on his major and where coaches and faculty would support that. He asked the coaches directly about this in the recruiting process. It narrowed his options for sure, but what's the point of going to college to study something you're not even interested in and that will not set you up for success in the future?

My son is at a p5.....a few weeks into his freshman year he shared with an Asst. Coach his thoughts on possibly taking on a double major.......his coach smiled and simply said "just throw strikes"

lol!!  

letsgo!!! posted:
BBMomAZ posted:

My 2020 recently committed to a high academic school. One of the major considerations for him was to find a school that would not put restrictions on his major and where coaches and faculty would support that. He asked the coaches directly about this in the recruiting process. It narrowed his options for sure, but what's the point of going to college to study something you're not even interested in and that will not set you up for success in the future?

My son is at a p5.....a few weeks into his freshman year he shared with an Asst. Coach his thoughts on possibly taking on a double major.......his coach smiled and simply said "just throw strikes"

lol!!  

Hahaha... perfect illustration of the reality in most programs, spoken or not.

A few comments on the above:

From what I hear, there are spots around the country where playing Legion ball can get you recruited -- where it's strong enough that coaches scout it.  But IMHO, those are the exception.  In our area, Legion has become the recreational venue for players not on travel teams.  It is not scouted often at all.  Think of it from the college coach's perspective:  Would you like to drive hours into the countryside to see one game, or would your time be better spent at a weekend, or week-long event where there'll be dozens or even hundreds of games to look at?  And where the kid you're looking at will face his toughest competition?

As to coaches not caring about academics:  My son got that vibe a few places.  We scratched them off our list.  Tons of coaches do care, and I would urge you to keep your antennae up to discern which are which and choose your target schools accordingly.

baseball_swagg posted:

Hello All-

I'm a 2021 RHP with the dream of playing at the next level. People tell me I have the talent to pitch at the next level, and I believe I can as well, with hard work and a little bit of luck. I throw 84 as a sophomore in HS, I have a sharp breaking ball and a pretty good changeup. I also have a feel for pitching and the game. However, I don't play travel. It's not possible for my family, as it is too expensive and my parents are too busy for that kind of commitment. I'm a hard worker, always been. I believe in getting to the next level the old fashioned way, however, it is hard to play at a D1 school without travel. Yes, please, I know it is. Don't tell me that travel is essential to playing at the next level, etc. I've been told this for a long time, and have been offered spots on elite level teams. I would do much of anything to be able to play on these teams, as they'd take my recruiting to another level. But it doesn't work for my family and me, and I accept that. I just need to work a little (a lot, actually) than the next guy. Any advice? I would appreciate it a lot.

Baseball_Swag,

THANK YOU!  I have been on this forum for a few years.  Your ability to write/communicate is excellent...  Your writing skills are by far the highest I have seen from a high school student on this forum.  

Keep working on getting faster, stronger, and bigger.  If you can get to the high 80's and touching 90 your junior season, opportunities will find you.

Good Luck!  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.