Skip to main content

So last night I end up talking to this guy in the bleachers who was apparently at the game to watch a few kids. My son was dealing on the mound and he said he was interested and asking a bunch of questions. He said he was a scout and was talking about schools that reach out to him with their needs. So do the schools pay him to go out and scout or is he going to try and get me on the hook and try charging a fee? It sounded like he was representing a number of different schools.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Some are just guys who love the game and do it for the pure love of watching baseball.  They can be reimbursed for true expenses but legally I do not think they can be paid.  Some are services that others pay for their information.  Some are just friends of coaches that they trust and especially in the last year since coaches can't get out there they are "taking care of" these friends who give them information.  I have college coach friends call me every so often and ask if I have seen a certain kid or kids and what I think.  I will go watch them for them and give them my take.  Some times it is they are interested or the kid has shown interest or they just a different set of eyes on the kid.  There are times they will ask me to watch his demeanor and I've even been asked to check on their parents.  It varies.  I never tell people that I am there to watch anyone and don't do the backpack, stopwatch, radar gun thing.  Some times they ask about kids my son played against.

Thanks PF. I didn't even notice at first he had a clipboard with notes and a pocket radar. He was asking things like, had my son started sending out letters and filling out recruiting forms yet, is he registered with the NCAA yet, grades, what travel teams he's played on, etc.

Now that I think about it, he didn't introduce himself as a scout at first. Just seemed like someone paying a nice compliment to my son. Then I asked him if he had a kid or a friend on the opposing team and that's when he mentioned he was a scout.

So last night I end up talking to this guy in the bleachers who was apparently at the game to watch a few kids. My son was dealing on the mound and he said he was interested and asking a bunch of questions. He said he was a scout and was talking about schools that reach out to him with their needs. So do the schools pay him to go out and scout or is he going to try and get me on the hook and try charging a fee? It sounded like he was representing a number of different schools.

This is a good question for Josh Rudd.  You might want to reach out to him.

@Consultant posted:

Did you request a business card? Did you ask the necessary questions?

Bob

No and no. I didn't even realize what the conversation was until close to the end and I wasn't really expecting having a conversation like that right now with the current coach restrictions. He just seemed like someone from the other team giving my son a compliment and making conversation. I also wasn't expecting to have that conversation about my son as a pitcher. I've always thought he was  pretty good, but I'm just his dad.

@2022NYC posted:

Did he provide any feedback on your boy or the other players? I am always curious to look at players through their lens.

He did. He really liked him as a pitcher and thought he would be a PO. So I pulled out the phone to show him his catching video he's been sending to coaches. He said we may want to change it since it has him in a one knee setup and you can't see the corners so there is no way to tell there are no runners on. Said his defensive skills are where they need to be for the schools he's targeting.

I shifted the conversation a little away from my son to talk about some of the other players. There is a 2021 that throws 88 with a + curve and no offers right now. He's 6'5'. Then I mentioned some of the 2022's. He actually saw one of them pitching in the video of my son catching and is interested in that kid.

@PitchingFan posted:

Some are just guys who love the game and do it for the pure love of watching baseball.  They can be reimbursed for true expenses but legally I do not think they can be paid.  Some are services that others pay for their information.  Some are just friends of coaches that they trust and especially in the last year since coaches can't get out there they are "taking care of" these friends who give them information.  I have college coach friends call me every so often and ask if I have seen a certain kid or kids and what I think.  I will go watch them for them and give them my take.  Some times it is they are interested or the kid has shown interest or they just a different set of eyes on the kid.  There are times they will ask me to watch his demeanor and I've even been asked to check on their parents.  It varies.  I never tell people that I am there to watch anyone and don't do the backpack, stopwatch, radar gun thing.  Some times they ask about kids my son played against.

I do the exact same thing. I am a volunteer Asst Coach at a Texas JuCo so sometimes I’m scouting for that school. Sometimes I’m watching kids that I coach individually as pitchers. Sometimes I’m watching for a coach friend that has asked me to look at a kid. Sometimes I just catch a game for fun if it’s a program that I like or a really good player is in that game.

@BOF posted:

Note to self:

- Clipboard

- Stop watch

- Radar gun

Not a casual observer.

Clipboard sitting next to him on the back row of the bleachers under his jacket

No stopwatch (that I noticed)

Pocket radar in a belt pouch that has a quarter sized Pocket Radar logo on it

I get what you’re saying, but this guy wasn’t standing behind home plate with radar in hand checking velos. He was in the back row of the bleachers and actually did look like a casual observer.

Clipboard sitting next to him on the back row of the bleachers under his jacket

No stopwatch (that I noticed)

Pocket radar in a belt pouch that has a quarter sized Pocket Radar logo on it

I get what you’re saying, but this guy wasn’t standing behind home plate with radar in hand checking velos. He was in the back row of the bleachers and actually did look like a casual observer.

Next time you see him ask him for his biz card (as suggested by Bob), to see what organization he is affiliated with. If he is scouting for a  "friend" more than likely he is a bird dog ( unpaid scout for MLB team).

I know of a coach here on Fl who uses scouts associated with teams to scout for him.

Pocket radar guns don't have to be used behind plate.

Sounds like your sons future may be as a pitcher.

@TPM we talked a lot about pitching and positions. He only saw him pitch so asked if he wanted to pitch in college. I told him if it’s the right school he’ll play anywhere they want him to.

I know a PR doesn’t need to be behind the plate, but it can’t actually be in his pocket 😜  . It was certainly an interesting and eye opening moment. You always hear coaches tell the kids you never know who is watching. I’ll be sure to ask for a card next time. I’m sure we’ll see him again as he was interested in the SS too when he saw him pitch in my son’s catching video.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.