Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What advantage is there to having the bare hand there? It is not any part of the action in catching a routine fly ball. This ain't the old days where your bare hand was needed to trap the ball against a mitt. Ball goes into glove, glove folds closed ... the bare hand can do nothing but get in the way.

Not the same as with a ground ball that might bounce a bit off and need the bare hand to help corral it.

Modern outfield gloves are made to be used one handed.
quote:
Originally posted by LevelPath19:
Two hands is really for transfer purposes. Anyone older than 10 should be able to catch a simple fly ball without having to "trap" the ball in his mitt with his throwing hand.

I repeat my question:
if that is true then why did I see a routine fly ball fall out of an outfielder's glove a few years ago in the WS? Why have I seen that happen in several pro & college games over the last few years?

The extra hand is just a little more insurance. And the outfielder in the WS sure wishes he had used two hands instead of one. Would have saved his team a run.

Coachric's reasoning is also very sound, as is dp's.
quote:
Originally posted by baseballpapa:
Equal and opposite. You are in a better balance position with the off hand down. The off hand doesn't help catch a ball and can get in the way. The ball the ML player dropped would probably have been dropped hand up or down. It is just more natural to keep it down and opposite the glove hand. It is why ML players do it, not to hot dog.

Get in the way of what?

It does help ensure the ball stays in the glove.

In the WS game, the OF'er was camped under it. He flipped the glove up while leaving the right hand dangling by his side. The ball hit square in the glove and came out. Had the second hand been there, it would not have happened.

"Natural" is often what you are used to doing. Using two hands is as natural as can be for those who do it.

And with runners on, the farther the bare hand is from the glove, the longer it takes to get the throw airborne.

No excuse for not doing the fundamentals. Other than hot dogging.
quote:
Originally posted by baseballpapa:
No one on, no one out. Routine fly ball to outfield. Both hands up to catch it or only glove hand up? I teach to get the off hand up only if a throw is to be made, otherwise keep it down. What about the rest of you?

Two hands and catch the ball with the glove between the shoulders (not off to the side).

There is no such thing as a routine fly ball.
At some point you have to rely on your talent. A skilled OF uses one hand. By raising the other arm you cut down on mobility when tracking the ball. Yes even the most skilled players drop balls.
Fielding a ground ball is quite different than catching a fly ball. Ground balls you set up glove side foot is slightly ahead of bare hand foot. You bare hand is down ready to trap the ball and or knock it down if it moves away from the glove. Fly ball your glove side is more forward allowing you to site better and catch the ball over your throwing side. Your bare hand comes up to transfer the ball and your body is positioned to shorten the cocking of the ball for the throw. Your feet have to be in a position ready for the long throw.
Wow. I never knew that all those great MLB'er's I grew up watching were untalented and unskilled. They must have been, however, since they used two hands on routine fly balls.

Mobility? We're not talking about running, reaching catches here. The poster's question was on routine fly balls.

The second hand normally doesn't go up until the player is camped under it. And at that point, there is no effect on mobility.

With no runners on (as per the original poster's scenario), there is no reason to catch on the throwing side. Catch on the glove side.

Adios.
Watch a major league game and you will see MOST of the catches made with two hands. The only time you one hand it is when you are on the run.

You said you two hand a ground ball because the ball moves - well what do you think that ball is doing while it is coming down??? It is moving. You may have set up for the catch to happen in the pocket but what if at the last instant the ball moves to where it will hit in the palm - yes that will happen.

I remember many catches where the ball was coming out because it moved, spin on the ball caused it to kick out etc... and the other hand kept it in there.
Texan, it is MLB players that instructed my son how to play the game. Ie guys Like Vrnon Wells,Ernie Whitt and hundreds more. We had the great fortune to be surrounded by minor and major league players.
Cogeco put on 3-4 day camps with some of the greatest ball players alive. We live in St Catharines Ontario about 20 Miles from Buffalo NY and 60 miles from The Rogers Skydome. Every year the Toronto Jays put on clinics for kids from 5-17 yo. I was at one a couple weeks ago and I was nice to see these players teaching kids with 2 left feet how to throw, run, hit and all the required skills properly. What a great day for the kids. I know my son's baseball career was inspired by these guys.
There is no such thing as a routine fly ball and you set up prepared to get the ball in to the cut off. Obviously there are times you can't get that 2nd hand into the play. The 1st thing a fielder shold do is read the ball and if neede tuck the glove and sprint to where the ball is going. If you are there in time turn and set up.
To watch a great fielder is a treat. I saw this guy who tracked down a blast way over his head. He turned and put his head down and turned on the jets. After 10-15feet he looked up and saw he was still short so he tuned again and put his head down and eventually ran the ball down with a beautiful back hand catch. That is a play I have never forgot.
My son was a great fielder as well and I saw him do the same thing. He judged the ball. tucked and ran to the fence taking his eye off the ball. Reached the fence and turned picking up the ball. Bounced on the balls of his feet against the fence to get set and made the catch. He would never use 2 hands. Actually that is a bit of a joke around here but that is a long story.
Texan, errors happen under any technique. Your rhetorical question presumes that the bare hand could have saved the errors you saw, but I doubt it.

The bare hand cannot be there when the ball reaches the pocket, or else the ball will strike the bare hand and bounce out.

The bare hand cannot be there when the glove closes around the ball, or else the glove won't close and the ball will come out.

The best you can do with your bare hand is clamp the mitt shut from the outside. But in those rare situations where the ball actually pops loose, you would be moving your bare hand to the spot the ball has just left. You're not likely to snare the ball that way.

If you feel better with the crutch, fine, but that doesn't mean one-handed fly catching is wrong.

Grounders are different because you will often see the ball bounce unexpectedly and hit the glove's fingers or heel, or miss the glove entirely. And the bare hand can come from above to help with that in a way it cannot with a fly ball.

I find that OF one-handed catching helps lead into the throwing motion better.
Last edited by Midlo Dad
I don't know why folks seem to have trouble reading the original post.

Routine fly ball, no one on. That eliminates any need to do running, diving and setting up to hit the relay or cut.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I can state not only from observation, but also from personal experience that the second hand can help. Does it every time? No, but it does sometimes. And if it prevents even one error it is worth it.

Midlo, you are discounting the advantage of the additional support and stability added to the glove. And the bare hand can react fast enough to help trap from the outside. Why on earth would anyone even discuss trying to put the bare hand into the glove?

I'll take what the old pros did over what the new ones do. I see way too many stupid errors these days.

I will not change what I teach, as I remain completely unconvinced of the merits of a one handed catch. I have yet to see a single argument that shows - in the scenario posed by the original poster - that there is any advantage at all to the one handed catch.

Later y'all.
The bare hand used on a fly ball can have use at times.

On a routine fly ball where the fielder holds his glove side ways for the catch, the bare hand should be under the glove.

On fly balls where the glove is held upright, the bare hand should be at the butt of the glove.

The danger in over-use of the bare hand with some young players is that they develop a tendency to put the glove in front of their face blocking their view of the ball.

I have found that whenever a player 'non-chalants' a ball, errors happen.

As a former outfielder, I preferred the one hand catch unless I needed the second hand for insurance. (sun, rain, lights)
Last edited by Quincy
TR,
you are apparently not a ballplayer if you do not understand the use of the bill of the cap, otherwise known as a visor.

I much prefer that you refrain from making comment in areas where you have no knowledge. Your organization is one with fine goals and your lack of understanding of the simplest facets of the game would cause one to pause.
BOBO

Dont come with the "TR don't know nothing" stuff---

You have no idea as to what I do or do not know--- I do know you shield the eyes with the glove not the bill of the cap

This will be my final post to you because now that I know who and what you are, there is no need to continue debating with you---

Have a nice time in the sun
Always use the glove to shield your eyes from the sun as you track the ball. There is a very good reason for that. I wonder what it is ?
The problem I see is that too many people have believed and taught what they believe for so many years that they can't accept the truth.
I learned from the Pros and have invented none of what I know. Yoo many self instructed coaches and parents teaching their kids improper techniques. That is not to say that the pros have taught dirrent techniques for hitting and even pitching but rarely have a heard a pro teach 2 hands. The 2nd hand can interfer with the process. What you do see is the 2nd hand coming into the glove very shortly after the ball settles into the pocket to reduce the motion the get the ball into the infield. A talented player makes it look very smooth but the 2nd hand stays out of the way while tracking the ball into the glove routine of not. I believe there is no such thing as a routine catch. A dropped ball is a dropped ball and it can happen to the best 2 hands or not.
Actually either glove or throwing hand can be used to shade the sun. Obviously the glove is bigger so most often used. The barehand is sometimes used on a line drive when… example… Rightfielder has sun setting just to the right of the path of the line drive. Most will still put the glove in front of their right eye, even on this play. (it’s bigger)!

When talking about catching fly balls with one or two hands, we need to decide if we are teaching young players or watching MLB players. Truth is, the baseball is always actually caught with the glove hand and then covered with the other. One big advantage for using two hands is you get the ball in your throwing hand quicker. This gives more time to get a good four seam grip that outfielders need to use. Perhaps the biggest advantage in using one hand is it’s easier to move one hand than it is to move both hands if any adjustment is required.

My suggestion is no matter what position is being taught to young players, catching the ball with two hands is a good thing. Even at 1B where we see one hand catches most always. Once again this relates to the most routine plays and catches.

If (two hands always) is drilled too hard it can become detrimental in some cases. We have seen many players trying hard to use two hands on one hand plays. I think it’s because it’s been drilled into them. Kind of like drilling it into infielders to get their body in front of everything. Then they can’t make the play that requires staying away from the ball. They are trying so hard to get in front of the ball they get themselves out of good position and balance to make the play.

Example… Back hand by the shortstop in the hole. If you watch enough high school baseball you’ll see many shortstops getting their body in front of the ball in the hole and either try to receive it on their right side and boot it or catch the ball and be in no position to make a good throw.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.