Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by blue marlin:
The problem is that they do not have any type of full time jobs available at the school so that eliminates a lot of would-be applicants. The person would have to work outside the school and have a very flexible schedule.

You got it. This one's going to be interesting to watch. This situation is not endearing the CHS baseball alumni base to the program or what is fast becoming the lack of one.
Last edited by birddog
Vavals.....That's the tough part when you have small private schools and kids that play every sport. In public schools, even though you might have kids playing 2 sports you still have enough kids to have a fall team at least.

I know CHS was dealt a tough hand. You guys thought you had a coach but he ended up moving. In general, and not directed to you Vavals, before one enrolls at a school he should look into the academic side, the philosophies of the school and their importance of sports to the school. Sports bring a school together and will bring the good student/athlete also which means enrollment will be higher. Sounds like some private schools are suffering enrollment issues.

From what I hear, the administration at some private schools do not really care about the sports side of things (or it could just be the baseball side). That is disappointing to hear. I strongly agree that academics are the focal point of school but there are smart kids out there that can play sports too. Plus there are kids that need the smaller school setting that the public schools do not offer.

IMO, sports and academics both go hand in hand. Look around at the private, or public, schools that do well. Supportive administration, good academics, quality coaches, good kids, good success rate. They help each other but you have to have the administration that understands and supports the athletic side of things. If not, then it is time to move on and put your son or daughter in a setting they can flourish in.
quote:
Originally posted by blue marlin:
I believe they are going to hire from within. Last I heard, the qualified candidates you are talking about did not take the job.

blue marlin....you seem to know more than the baseball people at catholic....as one, I am not aware of any qualified candidates within the school or program now. The only qualified candidiate within was the JV coach but the AD told me he wasn't able to commit the time.
Depends on who you talk with.....the school says they have offered the job and been turned down. I know for a fact that Coach Jones was offered the job and had to decline. There are four parents that between the group know just about everyone locally in baseball and the candidates are either not interested for many reasons, not really qualified or not yet interviewed for some reason.
I'm sure they will find a suitable candidate soon. The problem I hear is there is not a job available within the school itself to "employ" a potential coach. It's very hard to commit to a coaching position that takes up that much time and not be employed at the school itself. I know a few coaches in the area that do it - work at one school and travel to another, however:

Consider this - a coach, that is an employee of the school would be around the program daily to interact with the players and students, have plenty of time to get to know them, mentor them, help them (if needed), monitor them, along with time to do game and practice planning, etc....all things involved within the program. Ensure kids are working out.....then be able to walk to the field for practice after school was out.

If a coach was coming from somewhere else, they would get none of the above and I'm sure the AD would want a committed amount of time from the coach. If you just take the time that would be involved from 1 February to 31 May at about 3 hours a day for six days a week (this does not include travel to and from the school, to and from away games, etc) - and if you happen to divide the average coaching stipend for baseball in Virginia Beach ($3500) among two coaches - you are talking about 4 dollars a hour if that just during that time period - that doesn't include the time from 1 June to 31 January.

You have to commend all coaches for the time and effort they put into their programs. Not to mention time away from their own families.

I would love to have this coaching position and if I would have won the lottery last night, I would have been standing on the AD door this morning applying for the position.
Last edited by saipanwarrior
quote:
Originally posted by vavals:
saipanwarrior...thats more than you get paid for your summer team. We would love to have you coach and if it means rigging the lottery I'll see what Birddog can do..he's very resourceful!

Resourceful = Can Find Cash

I'll go to the mat to squeeze some out of the wallets over there!
quote:
Originally posted by birddog:
The street is usually misinformed.

I just spoke to the grandfather of one very well qualified candidate who told me his grandson sent a resume three weeks ago, called twice and never got a call back.

That internal candidate sure must be something.
Roll Eyes

Street not that misinformed. My point was, and I didn't explain it in full detail, is the "internal" person was, or is, supposedly a last resort if they can't find a qualified coach. Kind of the wrong way for admin to go about securing a coach.

As to your guy who didn't get a call a back, I believe that to be 100% correct. Bet he gets a call real soon or tell him to call over there asap and talk to principal. There are a few others that they have not called back also.

The inside admin is not on the same page obviously. But supposedly they are getting the right hand familiar with the left hand again as we speak. Hope they do for the players sake.

Hey, isn't the season still a long way away for schools that don't take baseball serious? It is a March-May sport. Wink
Marlin...you are probably quite correct about a new sense of urgency.

I also think there may be some merit to your last point as well. If some seriousness is not evident soon it may lead to....

Coach Wilson...good to hear from you again! Your are also dead on. If you figured out the effective hourly rate that a coach gets it's not enough to buy a cup of coffee...Starbucks of course. Smile
Last edited by birddog
ConfusedI hope this is not a growing trend.Eastern District schools always seem to be one step away from a coach hunt.I would think with the talent that graduates from this area someone could or should be readily available.The other districts have strong coaching staffs with long sheets of credentials,why? Do they pay them more or do these mentioned areas of trouble have administrations that simply suffocate the expansion of these programs?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.