Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Most of these summer leagues and organizations rely heavily on fan attendance and sponsors in order to operate.  And, with the threat of no or limited fans, sponsors are far less likely to participate.  Add to that the extra costs, effort and liability associated with being covid-compliant, as well as host family challenges.  I'm actually surprised there are still a few leagues that plan on proceeding this summer, as much as I hate to see college summer baseball not happening.

@JCG posted:

I took a leap of faith a couple days ago. I will be spending the summer in the  Inland Empire.  For my mid-August birthday I bought myself front-row seats to a Rancho Cucamonga vs San Jose game. (Dodgers vs. Giants high A.)

I have to confess, I was so desperate for baseball the other day I went and sat under a tree for two hours to watch while my son and some friends threw live bullpens to batters. It was wonderful. Congrats on keeping the faith.

Today on our morning walk we saw the senior softball league playing. My wife said, "maybe we should come out here on Tuesday mornings to watch some ball". We stopped for a minute and watched. It was like watching something out of a movie. These guys were so happy, talking smack, running around with knee braces and arguing with the first base umpire. I might be back next week with a bag of peanuts and a lounge chair.

@JCG posted:

Forget the chair -- bring a glove!

Yeah, you need to join 'em, old man Picked Off!  Brian, your icon reminded me... I've been watching several of the CWS replays from years' past (last night, it was Texas and Augie vs Florida) and OSU vs. NC.  The great thing about getting old is I could never remember who won these past series so it's like watching a live game.   When the NC 2b made the throwing error to (eventually) lose the game, I was totally surprised 

Not college level ball but my youngest played 3 games of 13U ball in a round robin format this past weekend with real umpires, fans, the whole deal.  It was fabulous.  Have 4 games schedules this coming weekend as well.

My 2022 kicks of summer ball with the Pudge Rodriquez Classic starting a week from today.  God bless Texas!

Last edited by 22and25
@cabbagedad posted:

Yeah, you need to join 'em, old man Picked Off!  Brian, your icon reminded me... I've been watching several of the CWS replays from years' past (last night, it was Texas and Augie vs Florida) and OSU vs. NC.  The great thing about getting old is I could never remember who won these past series so it's like watching a live game.   When the NC 2b made the throwing error to (eventually) lose the game, I was totally surprised 

Spoiler alert next time!

@JCG posted:

Damn.   That's a shame.  My son told me the other day that the Palm Springs  Summer league was still playing, and that due to other league cancelations it would have some dudes.  Just checked, and it is, but they've relocated it to a JuCo in TX.

Games are being played at Ranger College in Ranger, Texas. Storied program with a lot of history. HC there is a good friend. It’s about halfway between Ft Worth and Abilene. In other words, in the wide open spaces that Covid19 hasn’t found. 

@JCG posted:

I took a leap of faith a couple days ago. I will be spending the summer in the  Inland Empire.  For my mid-August birthday I bought myself front-row seats to a Rancho Cucamonga vs San Jose game. (Dodgers vs. Giants high A.)

JCG, I hope will be able to use those tix.  Maybe you'll be able to cheer for a speedy 2B I know who could be in the lineup.  

@Ripken Fan posted:

JCG, I hope will be able to use those tix.  Maybe you'll be able to cheer for a speedy 2B I know who could be in the lineup.  

I hope so!  The seats are right behind the visitors' dugout so if you want me to bring some homemade cookies or hold up a sign that says "Ripkin_son, call your mom!" let me know.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.