Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Most of these summer leagues and organizations rely heavily on fan attendance and sponsors in order to operate.  And, with the threat of no or limited fans, sponsors are far less likely to participate.  Add to that the extra costs, effort and liability associated with being covid-compliant, as well as host family challenges.  I'm actually surprised there are still a few leagues that plan on proceeding this summer, as much as I hate to see college summer baseball not happening.

@JCG posted:

I took a leap of faith a couple days ago. I will be spending the summer in the  Inland Empire.  For my mid-August birthday I bought myself front-row seats to a Rancho Cucamonga vs San Jose game. (Dodgers vs. Giants high A.)

I have to confess, I was so desperate for baseball the other day I went and sat under a tree for two hours to watch while my son and some friends threw live bullpens to batters. It was wonderful. Congrats on keeping the faith.

Today on our morning walk we saw the senior softball league playing. My wife said, "maybe we should come out here on Tuesday mornings to watch some ball". We stopped for a minute and watched. It was like watching something out of a movie. These guys were so happy, talking smack, running around with knee braces and arguing with the first base umpire. I might be back next week with a bag of peanuts and a lounge chair.

@JCG posted:

Forget the chair -- bring a glove!

Yeah, you need to join 'em, old man Picked Off!  Brian, your icon reminded me... I've been watching several of the CWS replays from years' past (last night, it was Texas and Augie vs Florida) and OSU vs. NC.  The great thing about getting old is I could never remember who won these past series so it's like watching a live game.   When the NC 2b made the throwing error to (eventually) lose the game, I was totally surprised 

Not college level ball but my youngest played 3 games of 13U ball in a round robin format this past weekend with real umpires, fans, the whole deal.  It was fabulous.  Have 4 games schedules this coming weekend as well.

My 2022 kicks of summer ball with the Pudge Rodriquez Classic starting a week from today.  God bless Texas!

Last edited by 22and25
@cabbagedad posted:

Yeah, you need to join 'em, old man Picked Off!  Brian, your icon reminded me... I've been watching several of the CWS replays from years' past (last night, it was Texas and Augie vs Florida) and OSU vs. NC.  The great thing about getting old is I could never remember who won these past series so it's like watching a live game.   When the NC 2b made the throwing error to (eventually) lose the game, I was totally surprised 

Spoiler alert next time!

@JCG posted:

Damn.   That's a shame.  My son told me the other day that the Palm Springs  Summer league was still playing, and that due to other league cancelations it would have some dudes.  Just checked, and it is, but they've relocated it to a JuCo in TX.

Games are being played at Ranger College in Ranger, Texas. Storied program with a lot of history. HC there is a good friend. It’s about halfway between Ft Worth and Abilene. In other words, in the wide open spaces that Covid19 hasn’t found. 

@JCG posted:

I took a leap of faith a couple days ago. I will be spending the summer in the  Inland Empire.  For my mid-August birthday I bought myself front-row seats to a Rancho Cucamonga vs San Jose game. (Dodgers vs. Giants high A.)

JCG, I hope will be able to use those tix.  Maybe you'll be able to cheer for a speedy 2B I know who could be in the lineup.  

@Ripken Fan posted:

JCG, I hope will be able to use those tix.  Maybe you'll be able to cheer for a speedy 2B I know who could be in the lineup.  

I hope so!  The seats are right behind the visitors' dugout so if you want me to bring some homemade cookies or hold up a sign that says "Ripkin_son, call your mom!" let me know.

my Son went to a Texas summer league that started last week. 

Yesterday AM my son calls and says someone on the team tested positive.  

I am not so worried about my son's health (guy who tested positive has zero,like zero symptoms) -I am more concerned with the potential fallout and the impact to Baseball as well as other sports..  the reaction sometimes is swift and long lasting.

What seems to be happening is more people are being tested and there seems to be less physical impact to the positive tests(hospitalizations, illness etc)

good luck to everyone out there and Happy Father's day to all the Dad's

Last edited by fishnsail

An area HS travel team pulled in a bunch of college players, divided into a couple of teams, and started a series of doubleheaders at Principal Park this week, which is where our minor league AAA team would play if they were playing. Son signed up to pitch for them, so we went up to the first game Friday. Ten of his college teammates were playing as well. SO EXCITED for some actual baseball.

Get there, very safe. All staff wearing masks. Park that seats more than 10,000 has zip tied off seating groups of two to six around the park. Now allowing about 2,000 in. Everything is touchless.

Son went 3.3 innings, struck out 5. Then it started to rain. Then one of his coaches comes out of the dugout and signals for play to stop. Medical personnel head for the dugout. A group of adults run from the stands into the dugout. Players come out and congregate on the field, a couple seem to be crying. We can't see anything.

Turns out, one of the boys had a major seizure in the dugout related to a previous injury. Ambulance came and took him away. By that night he was, thank god, out of the hospital. Teams agreed unanimously to stop play.

A total mixed bag of emotions — joy at seeing the game we love, satisfaction with son's performance, and total panic over health of a player.

Son will play with Northwoods league beginning July 4. We'll see how it goes. He's going to commute on days when he pitches rather than stay with a host family, but we're just starting to sort out what that's going to look like.

@fishnsail posted:

my Son went to a Texas summer league that started last week.

What seems to be happening is more people are being tested and there seems to be less physical impact to the positive tests(hospitalizations, illness etc)

As of yesterday, June 20, there are 3247 hospitalized with Covid 19, an increase from Wednesday of 2947..."almost twice as many as Memorial Day" (about 1500).

Here's the chart:  https://www.texastribune.org/2...us-hospitalizations/

Be careful! Be mindful!

@baseballmom posted:

As of yesterday, June 20, there are 3247 hospitalized with Covid 19, an increase from Wednesday of 2947..."almost twice as many as Memorial Day" (about 1500).

Here's the chart:  https://www.texastribune.org/2...us-hospitalizations/

Be careful! Be mindful!

I encourage people to look at the data for themselves.  The chart below (taken directly from the CDC) shows "excess total deaths" (above the yellow line) in the state of Texas over the last 3 years and runs through the first week of June 2020.  The flu caused more "excess deaths" in the state of Texas back in January 2018 than COVID-19 has. The facts are that most states (except those immediately surrounding NYC) have seen very little excess mortality.

Something really bad happened around the world, in NYC and surrounding areas.  We don't know why those areas were hit so hard, but the rest of the country has not been devastated.  Relying on any news source to tell you what is really happening is a mistake.  I'm not saying don't be smart, I'm saying don't be manipulated.  Traveling to summer league games is more dangerous than Covid is.

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.58.58 PM

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.58.58 PM
Last edited by Pedaldad

Pedal..if you bother to look, the reporting agency is Texas Department of State Health Services. Same info & charts are available from several news outlets, like Tex Tribune, KHOU, Houston Chronicle, Dallas Morning  News, WFAA , etc. Texas DHS  also reports to Johns Hopkins & CDC.

@Pedaldad posted:

Relying on any news source to tell you what is really happening is a mistake. Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.58.58 PM

I am the "news source" for this information for my community. Like most news sources, I get my information from my city emergency services personnel, county health department and state department of public health and then I relay it daily to my readers. I tried to stop for a few days but people reached out and said it was important to have it.

As I'm sitting here at midnight on a Sunday putting together the news from the weekend, including COVID statistics, so my readers will have it tomorrow when they wake up, I have to tell you that I resent the implication that somehow "news sources" are sitting around trying to manipulate their readers. I, for sure, don't have time to mess with that. I'm hoping to have time to sleep tonight.

My job is to offer people the numbers and what our local health care professionals say about them. How readers use that information is up to them.

@Iowamom23 posted:

I am the "news source" for this information for my community. Like most news sources, I get my information from my city emergency services personnel, county health department and state department of public health and then I relay it daily to my readers. I tried to stop for a few days but people reached out and said it was important to have it.

As I'm sitting here at midnight on a Sunday putting together the news from the weekend, including COVID statistics, so my readers will have it tomorrow when they wake up, I have to tell you that I resent the implication that somehow "news sources" are sitting around trying to manipulate their readers. I, for sure, don't have time to mess with that. I'm hoping to have time to sleep tonight.

My job is to offer people the numbers and what our local health care professionals say ai bout them. How readers use that information is up to them.

I am sure you are well versed at how to do your job in media, and by no means would I try to tell you how to be a good journalist. And, I certainly can see where you would infer that my statement implies manipulation by the media.  

However, The problem is the interpretation of the data.   There is an inherent lack of understanding of the data.   It has arrested our country and destroyed lives needlessly.   Most of the misinformation has been disseminated by media,   Sorry but that is fact.  

Cases are rising as testing increases, but mortality continues to decrease.  The likelihood of getting a vaccine before heard immunity is reached is minuscule.   Staying or returning to shutdown isn’t feasible.  So, we are going to see increased cases,  but increased cases doesn’t equal Increased deaths.   If you reported it that way, kudos to you.   

@Iowamom23 posted:

My job is to offer people the numbers and what our local health care professionals say about them. How readers use that information is up to them.

Glad to hear, I am sorry to tell but you obviously have no future on CNN. 

Glad to see some people are still fighting for the right interpretation of statistics. Sadly we aren't getting it much on a mainstream basis. 

FL had another great press conference today. All we hear about is spiking in cases. But cases don't mean anything anymore without context. In FL, the median age testing positive is now 27-32. There are more ICU beds available today then in March. Hospitalizations are still going down. Which means that while more people testing positive, they aren't being hospitalized. They are recovering just like over 99% of the population would. The news we get is that since cases are spiking, the deaths will surely lag and show up. But that's not happening because the positive cases aren't sick enough to be hospitalized. 

This is true for TX and mostly AZ outside of a few counties. If the country can move past the idea of focusing on "cases" and look deeper to what is actually happening with the cases (age, hospitalized, beds) then we may have a chance. If we can't and only freak about a cases spike, then we aren't having any sports this year at NCAA or professional level. Or next year in 2021 because it ain't going away. Perhaps in 2022 there will be a vaccine. But we will still be social distancing and mandating masks, because this time has taught us that every life matters. So we'll be doing this for the flu and other viruses. Because we have to save every life. 

That may sound ridiculous and exaggerating, but we also thought that we just had to lockdown for 30 days to flatten a curve. 

What's more likely- our nation saying OK, no more social distancing/masks/lockdowns and go back to normal, or keeping these on forever to save as many lives going forward?

@SoCal OG posted:

So here's the next question.  For those of you that have already paid deposits have you heard about getting that money back??

Different league and several years ago, my son needed surgery and wound up not playing one summer.  The league refunded 80%.  (As I remember, the deposit was around $500, so we got back $400).  They kept him on the roster as "injured" and he never showed up.   I had to initiate the call for the refund.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.