Skip to main content

Anyone know the scheduled start times for the games? Looks like some great match ups:

Class S: #1 Pittsburg vs. #6 Portsmouth Christian
Can Pittsburg repeat?

Class M: #1 Somersworth vs. #2 Winnesquam
Who is on the hill for each team, how many innings does Jordan Cote have left?

Class I: #1 Portsmouth vs. #7 Bedford
My pre-season pick of Bedford didn't look good as a #7 seed but they have gotten it done in the playoffs. Is this Jones vs. Maher? Looks likely.

Class L: #3 Londonderry vs. #4 Salem
A couple of the GSBA's favorite coaches face off for the Championship. Kasey Corrolo likely for Londonderry? Will it be Peters for Salem?
www.showcaseleague.com www.granitestatebaseball.org www.mainehits.com
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Per Nashua Telegraph Blog (Gary Fitz)

Championship Saturday at MerchantsAuto.Com Stadium in Manchester

Class S: 10:00 am
Class M: 1:00 pm
Class I: 4:00 pm
Class L: 7:00 pm

Patio Bar at the Hilton Garden Inn opens at 4:30
quote:
Originally posted by SMAN14:
Anyone know the scheduled start times for the games? Looks like some great match ups:

Class S: #1 Pittsburg vs. #6 Portsmouth Christian
Can Pittsburg repeat?

Class M: #1 Somersworth vs. #2 Winnesquam
Who is on the hill for each team, how many innings does Jordan Cote have left?

Class I: #1 Portsmouth vs. #7 Bedford
My pre-season pick of Bedford didn't look good as a #7 seed but they have gotten it done in the playoffs. Is this Jones vs. Maher? Looks likely.

Class L: #3 Londonderry vs. #4 Salem
A couple of the GSBA's favorite coaches face off for the Championship. Kasey Corrolo likely for Londonderry? Will it be Peters for Salem?
Last edited by LJ Sandwich
Notes for Class I games last night.

PHS lower order hitters, younger guys, did a good job of hitting last night.

Our son had never played at Gill and always wanted to, don't think he wants to play there again. Two well hit fly balls to LC Power Alley and straight away center, both looked nice and out in most parks but not last night. Just score it F7 and F8 - that's baseball.

Think I have only been to Gill once before - other than right down the lines is that a big park or is it may imagination?

Give the Con-Val coach credit had his outfielders playing 2/3 steps from warning track.

Pitcher from Con-Val did a nice job but too many sliders and breaking balls. Taylor for PHS was great, excellent changing of speeds, average velocity but the kid is a pitcher. Still thought Con-Val would hit better.

Little disappointed in CV fans (good travel crowd), a few chanting Portsmouth S---S was bush league.

Like the Olen kid from Bedford has good stuff and knows what he is doing very similar to PHS Taylor.

Can't see how Lebannon got to final four if they played defense like they did last night.

I thought the Woodward kid handled his teammates errors well. However, noticed him arguing balls and strikes when he was at bat and bordering on showing up umpire on calls against him when he was pitching - that act won't play well in college.

Looking forward to seeing Maher pitch, heard great things about him - we may not feel so good after the game if he is on!! Heard he threw about 150 pitches in last Saturday's game at St. Thomas.

Watched the Bedford kids excitment before,during and after the game. Nice to see and their fans were really happy - that's what HS sports is all about.
nhmonty – another solid post with good insight. Mike’s not the only home run hitter in the family. BTW – you didn’t mention that the F8 was a sac fly that would have probably scored Jacoby from 2nd. The Gill outfield is enormous – combined with the quick turf, it places a premium on outfielder speed.

I concur on the Olen / Taylor comparison and the beauty is they are both juniors.

The Bedford fans are really enjoying the ride. The players have enjoyed the journey. To think it all started with a bus ride for a “home” game in Portsmouth back in April 2008. If you recall the venue was switched because the field in Bedford was not ready, but Bedford was officially the home team. A group of freshmen and sophomores went toe-to-toe with a stacked PHS team that featured Welch, Hart, Fransosa, the Bergerons and a couple of up and comers named Montville and Jones. In the first game in the history of BHS, they walked away on the short end of a 4-0 score, but gave us a preview of their potential by playing an incredible defensive game. James O’Brien took the hill for Bedford that day, threw strikes and watched his fielders make play after play. Gap shots and warning track bombs were run down by the outfielders and the infield was stout as well. Their young bats were no match for Welch, who would go on to have a super year. If memory serves me, that was also game #1 of the now incredibly impressive 62 game winning streak. Pardon the BHS faithful if we indulge in some hope of being the bookends of a great run.

PHS is the gold standard for high school baseball programs in the state. Watching them last night at Gill and how they handle all aspects of the game was impressive. From the pre-game, to between innings and obviously the game itself you can see why they have had so much success. I was a little worried that Jones was going to pull a "hammy" sprinting Taylor's warmup jacket to him at 1st base. Let’s hope for good weather and a great ball game.

P.S. Your source on the 150 pitches by Maher is 25 or so too high. Still a scary, high number, but he was stronger at the end than in the beginning.
NHIAA does a great job with the playoffs, I do think $7.00 is a bit much for a high school game but hey I paid it so they must know what they're doing.

Maine has their state finals in two locations and doesn't use either Old Orchard Beach Ballpark or Hadlock Field. I'll be hitting up their finals at St. Joseph's College doing a little scouting for the Showcase League Maine Teams.
Class M got the match up they wanted, and the boys did not disappoint. What a well played pitchers dual between Parma and Cote. Cote proved he is the player of the year in class M. Congats to Winnisquam, enjoy your championship, you deserve it, you beat a very good baseball team today.

PS: Gotta love the effort by Somersworth fighting all the way to the end. Cote gets the strike out to end the game, but dropped strike three, Somersworth kid goes in head first to reach first base and give them team another out. It's all about the effort, Somersworth has nothing to be assamed of.

Add Reply

SPECIAL JUNE OFFER for HSBaseballWeb customers: Free batting gloves with every purchase!

Link copied to your clipboard.