60 yd: 6.8

90 ft: 3.8

FB : 86 mph- 

2021 5'11" 150 R/R -SS/P/Util

60 yd: 7.2

90 ft: 4.0

FB: 78 mph

They both have room to grow. I'm 6'3" 250+

Grandfather played professional baseball in the Red Sox organization. I played at the JUCO level.

After looking at them and the forum they look like they compare to rest of the boys on average. The problem is we live in Alaska. Both boys have done really well up here.

Lots of inconsistent levels of play and inclement weather during the spring,summer and fall. Winter is a no-go up here for play.

What things should I be doing that will increase their ability to be seen by staff and schools?

What is the likelihood of going and walking on a Juco, D III, D II?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Alaska,

You have a couple talented kids!

The recruiting timeline on this site is a great starting point.  And there is so much more information here that can be searched that lays out a gameplan for helping kids play ball in college. 

1) Baseball tools matter.  You've listed some of those. 

2) Standardized test scores and grades/curriculum matter. 

It's that intersection of where a player fits athletically AND academically that helps you and your boys create a vetted list of colleges to target.  And when your boys target those schools, then they're fishing in the right pond.

There are thousands of potential colleges.  Kids from Alaska will be unique and valued demographically at many schools in my experience.  So they have an admissions (but not a baseball) edge at some schools already.

Targeting schools (baseball coaches and Admissions reps) and expressing interest has a lot of components to it.  One component is showcasing in front of coaches from schools on your sons' vetted lists.  Where to do that depends on what schools are on their lists!

Sooooo, I recommend for your 2019 to start compiling a list of colleges.  Then test that list...does he fit academically?  AND does he fit for baseball?  No guarantees on either of course, but you want to target schools that makes sense.  Then start targeting those colleges.   Summer 2018 is the prime recruiting time for most colleges recruiting 2019's.  Top 50 programs will mostly be done by then, but most colleges will not.

For a 2021, I'd focus on getting better athletically and academically.  There's plenty of time left for college baseball recruiting for a new freshman.

Good luck! 

Thanks for the reponse:

2019 GPA : 3.4 + will be doing SATs and ACT when that time comes

2021 GPA seeing where High school goes, but has consistently been 3.8 or higher-has to be better than big brother  

We continually talk about where ( the northwest and AZ come up a lot). (GCU, Western Oregon, UW, etc...) and if those programs are within reach of their skill sets. Jucos in Northern CA ( Shasta, Feather River, COS,etc.)

The next question is: 

Do I  or my son make contact and cold call or email the staff? 

If so, what are some things they will want besides stat and athletic numbers?

Alaskan:

Welcome to the site. Your sons should initiate contact with the  college staff. Geography will definitely play a role in your sons's recruiting. One thing I would suggest (in your things to do) is to complete the RECRUITING QUESTIONNAIRES to the schools which interest your 2019. You'll find them on the baseball pages for each school. Some are more comprehensive then others. Son should make sure that he knows something about schools which he completes questionnaires. Could make good talking points in an e-mail, the event he receives a correspondence from a coach. The questionnaire can also help answer your question, "What type of information do they want?" Good luck.

Welcome Alaskan.  Regarding your 2019 and your answer on the ACT/SAT "when the time comes."  There is a wide window for an incoming junior to take both.  My 2017 had a similar GPA.  But he started with the SAT in October of his Junior year, retook it in January (after paying a study program) and improved 200+ points (old 2400 scale).  Then he shifted gears and took the ACT in early April.  Did well but also retook in Sept of Sr year and scored 2 points higher.  SAT/ACT results had my 2017 in the 95-97th percentile in all of the areas and a whole range of academic schools opened up for him despite his mediocre GPA. 

But the key part is those tests need to be done and best scores achieved before the end of his Junior year if you want to be able to use them as a recruiting advantage in that Summer leading into Senior year when all but the top D1s are still recruiting.  That is if you think they will help him. Allow time for retakes, as most kids do better on the second try.  My son did not like the year long focus on the tests and study programs, but that was the consequence of him being lazy and not getting all A's.  In the end, without those really high test scores, he does not get recruited by a very high academic D2 and get the privilege of being able to play college baseball.

Well, the boys certainly have some tools and/or projectability.  

Trying to offer up something others haven't...

Where do you live?  Are they able to make a trip to the states at some point for a few key exposure events?

If you live anywhere near where the Alaskan Baseball League plays games, you may want to try to utilize that resource.  You could possibly ask a coach for an evaluation.  I think if one of those coaches sees numbers like what 2019 currently has, he would be willing to help you out and take a look.  Most of those coaches are current college coaches and may have needs and certainly network with other college coaches that are always looking for players.

I think it would be important to put together a video.  There is tons of info here on putting together a good one.  

If it's feasible, maybe you can take a trip down to the states for a week or so and include an appropriate showcase, key tourney or the right prospect camp.  This is going to sound very weird but your situation is somewhat similar to that of many players in Calif.  There are so few in-state openings as compared to supply of players, that many good players have to go across the country to find a spot.  Sometimes it isn't feasible to make trips to showcases or school visits where those coaches can see them personally.

I'm curious to hear what resources are available to you, if any...  any decent legion or travel ball at all?  Training facilities?  Ex-players who they can train with and take lessons from?

Lastly, regarding your walk-on question...  you can search threads here based on topic.  Be sure to read up.  There are different types of walk-ons and you generally want to avoid true walk-on if at all possible.

Thank you all for the responses.

It has really helps to see I was --kinda?-- on the right path.

To answer some  of the questions:

1. We live in the Mat-Su valley -Wasilla, AK -57 miles from Anchorage.

2. There is no way mom will allow the boys to play outside- even at Grandmas.( Redding, Ca)

2a. There are travel ball teams, but  they are quite expensive after administration fees & such ( $600 to start before practices, tournaments outside are $2000 plus airfare ($300-600 a ticket). That brings up a whole another line of questions for a  different time.

3. I actually am a  asst. legion coach and currently coach at a high school. Legion is a very watered down product ( 8 graders on varsity teams). A player can coast pretty easy on the level of pitching up here. 

I have assisted 4 players which have been accepted to Juco's in Northern CA. ( Feather River & Shasta). I am asking most my questions as "Dad". The process is different due to me being "dad" and not "coach".

I feel as their dad, I'm biased in the coaches eye for promoting my child as a coach. So I don't.

Great points on having 2019 contact them.

4. But when comparing the level of play here in Alaska to the lower 48, it is not a good gauge  to judge a players ability. Batter's consistently hit .550 or better. Pitchers who throw 78+ throw " hard"..  Lots of potential players, but small numbers- maybe 250 plus players in all of Alaska high school-maybe.

5. ABL managers - I hadn't thought of that. Great idea. Even have a contact or two.

For my Boys- I don't want them ever to think that because up here- they are "good" - that it's as easy outside. I definitely know it is not, and reiterate every day.

Cool.  Feather River is traditionally a pretty competitive JC program.  If you are sending players there and they are contributing, you know the benchmark.  Totally get the Dad thing.  

Just for clarification, when you say "There is no way mom will allow the boys to play outside- even at Grandmas.( Redding, Ca)", do you mean before finishing HS, for the summer, not even for a few weeks?  How will this translate to what she will allow for leaving for college?

Update: 

It's been awhile. Both boys are playing well. Surprisingly well for the 2021.I appreciate the help you all have recommended. Mom has watched and seen both contribute to our program. Our school is now using Fieldlevel and its gotten a few of the boys contacted. Thanks for the info.

11 games in:

2021 .592 BA .703 OBP 16 hits in 27 at bats. No K's. 1 triple, 2 2b, 6 RBI, 6 SB-starting 2B/3B,  batting leadoff for Varsity. Accepted into the Varsity AA Legion program. which isn't saying much up here. He's faced 3 of the top pitchers in the state and hit lights out. He's playing out of his mind. I keep telling him the baseball gods are fickle. I think the numbers will adjust later in the season. It's coming too easy right now. 

2019 2 games pitched, 7 innings 15 Ks. 3 BB. No hits. avg 80-82 high 84.  Noticing that his baseball love may be waning- would rather be fishing, hiking/camping/hunting, and friends-girls are talked about a lot more than earlier.. Summer is calling, reality/life is rushing up on him, and I let the boys choose their destinations in life as they grow into young men.  It's a game after all, he says. " I'll play if it fits into my plan." Oh- too be young again.  Typical junior. Awaiting ACT scores. 

Both have slipped academically , holding 3.3 GPA each. The talent level has slipped this year from the past in this region. They? ( mostly likely 2021)  may be attending the PG Showcase in WA in Oct- and the AZ Fall Classic. I'll have to go with him, the only way mom will allow it.That's $2500 at least. The 2021 is pushing to go out to gauge where he is.He's traveled before (twice)and produced with older teams.At 13 yo playing 16U and 11yo with 14U. Not quality tournaments though. Just WA (open?) and AZ  USSSA Majors (i think it was?) kids.  Typical freshman. The 2019 is looking to go to GCU or  U of Washington for academics and life experience. Typical junior. 

The Coach/dad experience has been trying at times, but a blessing all the time. Not being the head coach, and only focusing on the pitching for our program has been great. No drama. Get to work at my craft while I watch them grow up. 

Thanks for all the help,

Alaskan

If your 2019 is already showing signs of wanting things other than baseball, that's probably a sign that continuing the sport in college isn't likely to happen.  Baseball in college, even at a smaller school is very, very time consuming.  You have to love it or you'll end up hating it....real quick.   Good luck to your younger son....sounds like he's got some real talent.  Will be interesting to see how he does when he gets a chance in Washington.   It's surprising to me that you're playing in Alaska already....heck, here in NW Ohio, some teams have only gotten half of their scheduled games in due to a ridiculously cold and wet Spring.  Maybe the folks around here need to move north lol

oh , it's snowed during one game.We played. Rains regularly every day in April. They play. our outfield has frostheaves  and wet spots until June. But we play......and it's 33-43 degrees this time of year and they seem to love it. They don't know any better.....

Would Love to see the 2019 in 85 degrees letting a FB go ...

A little history:  My old man played in the Red Sox minors in the 60's. threw pretty hard. I'm a old CA kid. Threw 87-90 in a CA Juco back in the 90's..

Now All I throw is BP for 2 hours. in the cold.rain.snow.......and I LOVE IT.

that and ibuprofen......

and Salmon...... ........it is Alaska after all.

Thanks,

Alaskan

Before you spend $2500 to take your 2021 to a Showcase I would highly recommend finding out his measureables first.  If he isn't running at least a 7.5 sixty with an 85+ Exit Velo and throwing at least 80+ across the diamond or from the Outfield, there really is no point in Showcasing yet... And some would say he should have at least one of the following:

a sixty time below 7.1

an Exit Velo above 90

a throwing velocity above 85

3and2Fastball posted:

Before you spend $2500 to take your 2021 to a Showcase I would highly recommend finding out his measureables first.  If he isn't running at least a 7.5 sixty with an 85+ Exit Velo and throwing at least 80+ across the diamond or from the Outfield, there really is no point in Showcasing yet... And some would say he should have at least one of the following:

a sixty time below 7.1

an Exit Velo above 90

a throwing velocity above 85

Agree that $2500 for a soph to be to travel to a showcase is probably a bit much, but if it's doable financially then I say go for it....but maybe waiting until after his sophomore year would be more beneficial.   He was already a 7.2 kid in the 60 last summer, so he's got plenty of speed.  27 AB's with no K's against even average pitching is phenomenal so he can hit a little bit    To say you need one of the 3 things you listed before showcasing isn't reality.   There are some kids playing at mid-major D1's that don't hit any of those 3 numbers.     My son is a 2-way in college now. 6'1, 180 with a 93mph fastball.  He was  recruited by a couple schools as an IF and a couple as a pitcher.  Went as a PO, but is batting again this year too (junior year)    His best showcase ever during HS was 85mph IF velo, 90 exit velo and he was never a 7.1 guy in the 60 (probably still isn't).   If a kid can play, there is a place for him.  Maybe not at a Power5, but somewhere.  

the numbers have jumped a little- not much

2019 is at 6.78 unofficially and doesn't work at it. Fastest on our team by a lot. he's got the most talent too. Just like my dad used to say about his brother. He didn't play, but went to college (PAC -10 in those days) for track, but then stopped halfway for future wife. Never regretted it either, much as I suspect 2019 won't either.

2019 has had a couple of track looks right now also in by a  local D II for the 400 & triple jump. He told them that while he appreciated the visit but he's going to school outside of Alaska. He loves Seattle, Arizona and the Napa region of CA. I don't see him coming back up after college.

2021 6.9 unofficially - he's really nipping at older brothers heels now. but he also works at it and the game a lot more. Hes usually in our cage or bouncing the ball against the wall working on glove-work when I've got a senior in the cage or on the bump. he hangs out with the seniors and he's been around the program since he was a little dude. Literally have to tell him to go outside our shop some days to go fish or clear the baseball mind. I don't want the burnout that some go through. Even I want a break to fish somedays......

He's hitting all the measurable stats when I look at his age group on PG and Northwest baseball. He throws OK ( 78-80) from 3B and hits exit velo ok-  83-86 . he's still growing - gained about 15lbs to to sit at 165. decent sized freshman..... 

Thanks again for this forum. I see most of questions are answered before I have to ask them. the best place to go when I have a question on the college process.

So much has changed since when I was a kid.

I have had no problem having a coach take a look at any of my others, we have 3  going off to a small community college this year in Montana.

It's when they asked about mine do I start to hem and Haw. I'm pretty blunt, but it's also my kid. They saw him as a eighth grader last year and they asked who he was. I told them he's mine, what grade he's in and he's got along way to go before that dream. And that was it.  I said My head coach addresses anything when a college coach asks for film, stats, or contact info. Keeps us well rounded up here and program oriented. As a dad, the pride was up that day and quickly deflated by the wife... who reminded me that I'm a old, washed up Juco -BP- tossing dad. and 2021 was a 8th grader....

thanks,

Alaskan

A 2021 with a 6.9 60, an Exit Velo around 85, and throwing Velo of 80 across the infield will likely draw some recruiting interest and get at least an 8 or 8.5 grade from Perfect Game.  Thanks for the updated info.  In that case it may indeed be worth your time to do a PG Showcase.

The 6.9 speed in particular will draw some attention.  If you haven't already you may want to consider him as an OF as a secondary position at a Showcase

Best of luck!  It sounds like you are doing right by those kids!

BTW, I think that your boys can definitely play ball on a D3, or a JUCO. What will really determine how much choice they have is how good their marks and ACT/SAT's scores are. Some excellent small colleges are crying out for players to fit their roster, as they have a very limited talent pool to choose from.

The mention of UBC is interesting. They are one of only a few Canadian schools that play in a US league. They have a good baseball program with nice facilities, and are an outstanding school, in a beautiful location. I'm not sure if they have a mandate to only take Canadian players, though...I don't see one American on the roster, but if they were going to make an exception for anyone it would be someone from Alaska, you'd think. My 2018 couldn't get any interest from them, even though he had some good measurables - I thought it was because we were down in the States.

from what you have stated I highly doubt the 2019 is going to be interested in college baseball. It is serious business, the coaches aren't even close to what you may see on the recruiting trail. The time demands and the program demands are intense, they don't give a damn how the boy feels about any of it.

if your son isn't all in I would advise he gets out. my sons 11 man recruiting class from last fall is down to 7, at least 2 more are going to be done after the season ends. My son tells me he is going to give it one more year and determine if it is worth it...and he has been playing which is more then most freshman can say.

College baseball from what I can tell just breeds a very unusual culture. The boys bond and love each other, the coaches seem to take pride in seeing who can be the biggest over demanding prick. I honestly haven't seen anything quite like it before.

I know in the real world they would be fired for half of the things I hear...it is a very unusual place.

all that being said it has been overall a good life experience - just have eyes wide open.

End of season Stats update before regions:

2021- 28 for 52 .538 avg , .586 OBP , 1 K ( definitely needs to walk more) 15 rbi, 23 runs scored 2 2bs, 3 3bs,15 SB  starting 3B Leadoff hitter. will be moved to 3 hitter for regions due to need. From looking at overall play, will be considered for All  Conference 1st team and a dark-horse for MVP. Not likely due to being a freshman. 2 Hits or more in  every game but two. He has talked to a coach in Seattle, Washington for this summer if allowed. will be playing Varsity Legion if not...  Mom has kinda "woken up" to him playing beyond HS if he can continue this level of play. 

2019- easy going after beginning of season.  hit 87-86 during a few games. 15 innings 22 K's 11 BB's ( a little wild) 1 combined No-Hitter. allowed 2 hits this season. likely will make 2nd all conference. Will be playing Legion followed by taking a trip out of state to meet a coach in Arizona (Juco) and Seattle, WA.  A head coach from a Juco asked for tape,sent tape. the coach said he thinks he can make some gains this next year. Got the call from a juco in Northern Ca, knows two players & school, next to grandparents. Appears happy that he could to be going out of Alaska. the bug bit I think after he got a couple of calls and conversations with a couple of head coaches in the conference and a travel coach. 

Attending PG show case for 2019 in Sep. 2021 will wait until next year when he is a sophomore going into junior year, He definitely needs more time in the weight room. 

Thanks for the messages and the info being passed on. Not only for my boy's but we've gotten one more of the boy's on our team ( 4 this year) moving on to playing beyond because of this forum. 

Alaskan posted:

End of season Stats update before regions:

2021- 28 for 52 .538 avg , .586 OBP , 1 K ( definitely needs to walk more) 15 rbi, 23 runs scored 2 2bs, 3 3bs,15 SB  starting 3B Leadoff hitter. will be moved to 3 hitter for regions due to need. From looking at overall play, will be considered for All  Conference 1st team and a dark-horse for MVP. Not likely due to being a freshman. 2 Hits or more in  every game but two. He has talked to a coach in Seattle, Washington for this summer if allowed. will be playing Varsity Legion if not...  Mom has kinda "woken up" to him playing beyond HS if he can continue this level of play. 

2019- easy going after beginning of season.  hit 87-86 during a few games. 15 innings 22 K's 11 BB's ( a little wild) 1 combined No-Hitter. allowed 2 hits this season. likely will make 2nd all conference. Will be playing Legion followed by taking a trip out of state to meet a coach in Arizona (Juco) and Seattle, WA.  A head coach from a Juco asked for tape,sent tape. the coach said he thinks he can make some gains this next year. Got the call from a juco in Northern Ca, knows two players & school, next to grandparents. Appears happy that he could to be going out of Alaska. the bug bit I think after he got a couple of calls and conversations with a couple of head coaches in the conference and a travel coach. 

Attending PG show case for 2019 in Sep. 2021 will wait until next year when he is a sophomore going into junior year, He definitely needs more time in the weight room. 

Thanks for the messages and the info being passed on. Not only for my boy's but we've gotten one more of the boy's on our team ( 4 this year) moving on to playing beyond because of this forum. 

Reach out to the coaches in the Alaskan Summer League.  For example, the head coach of the Matsu Miners is a coach at an excellent JUCO in Arizona

Update-

2019 got to play in front of collegiate coaches in early June at a Legion camp - he hit 89 and stayed 86+ in his bullpen.   ran a 6.78 . Spoke to all the coaches involved at the camp and was part of the All-Star team which played a ABL team. Pitched 1 inning, no hits, no BB in that game.  He will be attending the AZ Fall Senior Classic this year after a PG showcase in Sep.  Has thrown very well this Legion season. Only allowed 4 hits in 17 innings so far. 

2021- having a good season at Legion. Batting .420 as of now for the season. He also got to compete in the All- Star game. He only hit 83-82 on the bump in his bullpen, but got to pitch a inning against ABL players.  no hits and no walks in a inning.  Pretty funny. Looked like a little boy against players from gonzaga, u of Miami.  basically throwing change ups to them. Going out to AZ in Oct. 

Both will looking to forward to going out this fall. 

I don't know what changed in the 2019 he went from he didn't care too much how baseball went to " Do you think I can make it  playing in college?" " I want to try and go play."  "Can you get me some more information on college....?"  

Pretty fun to be apart of right now.

The 2021 is chasing " I want to play outside....". Finding out about teams that host in Seattle.

Thanks for all the information, it's helped us alot.

Update:

- 2019 Signed his commitment form to a 4 yr school in AZ. The Coach wants him to play OF, but pitch primarily. HE did very well in the AZ Fall Classic. Hit 89 with nothing lower than 85 on the FB. No hits and 5 K's in 3 innings. While there in AZ and after that , He spoke to a number of colleges  - two DI's made contact , 3-4 DII's and a number of D III's, 7-8 Jucos. It's been a real whirlwind ....  We have also been informed that he has a number of MLB teams following him as he finishes his Senior Year of High School. I'm not telling him that. It's been really crazy watching this occur from earlier this spring.

-2021 Went to AZ for the Classic also. Hit 84  pitched very well and hit well. Our coach informed us 2021, thanks to his brother doing so well, is getting a lot of questions and follow ups  from some DI's in Washington, AZ, and California. He's about the same size as 2019 now- He seems to be enjoying a growth spurt - both have gained a good 10 lbs it seems over the spring/summer/fall until now. 

I can't say enough about this site and you guys helping me out. The private messages and potential summer teams. I've been able to pass on to a couple of other parents who kids are going on too up here in Alaska.

Thanks.

Update- as we get close tor regionals. 2019 popped 90 on the bump (93 on pull downs) a few times this year. Sitting 86-87. Last start 5 IP, 12Ks 6 BB. Walking quite a bit this season 16 BB in 15 IP. His  focus is on developing his command better during Legion season. Throwing " hard for alaska" up here is ok, but not at the next step. Graduates Thursday. 

2021- Starting SS, 3 Hole, hitting .551 (27 for 49) for the season, 4 2Bs, 4 3Bs,  20 RBIs, 22 SB, .600 for league. Pitching up here is not anywhere near what lower 48 is. most kids are sitting 75-72. In some cases lower. pitching wise- he's sitting 84 mph, only pitched 6.2 IP and struck out 12. 8BB 

Only 2 league games left, then Regionals, then hopefully State.

What's the next step for next year?

Is PG a good choice?  There's one in Washington in Sep. I think he has good speed (6.7) and exit velo 89 (w/wood) 94 (w/metal). Earlier posts recommended it. I didn't realize it was $650 dollars plus airfare and room. so about 1500 dollars for two people.

2021 will be a junior, and he's got to focus on his grades to get it up to 3.5. for our primary goal and getting stronger. He's 6' 1 165 lbs - he lost weight during basketball season but is definitely stronger this year.

Another question? How to I keep him playing Basketball? He  pretty good at that, and I don't  like specialization in sports. He just wants to play baseball. I think it will get boring and monotonous during the winter for him.   

Sorry for the rant...

Alaskan

Re: basketball

Soph year my son was cut from basketball after being the freshman point guard. There were people who thought he might make the jump to varsity. He was cut for missing almost every “optional” workout and not playing for the summer team. He was playing two other sports and fall ball. Plus in high school baseball became a year round effort with either skills or physical development. 

Not playing basketball allowed him to focus on baseball all winter. He made a huge jump in skills the first two winters not playing basketball. He also bulked up rather than losing weight running the court. 

Your son has to do a little soul searching on how much he will miss basketball. But if he’s committed to putting in the work after school every day for baseball and wants to do it I would let him. Offseason workouts need to be something organized he does with other teammates so he doesn’t goof off. 

Last edited by RJM

His best bet would be to find a travel team and have him play in the 48 during the summer. I understand how difficult that might be considering you would have to fly to every event, but I'm sure if you find a good enough organization he could fly out on his own and have a coach/teammates pick him up at airports and room with kids. 2019 played for a national team with kids from all over and there were probably 8-10 kids going solo every time. Mine flew 2k miles and his coach picked him up at 3am after a long delay. 

Most teams, especially when pulling kids from multiple states aren't getting together every week. Most of the time it will be a weeklong tournament then two weeks off. Thurs-Sunday tournament, week off. You don't have to make every tournament, but a quality team that has sent players to schools your son is interested in will understand your situation and let you know which events he should not miss. 

Even if he does well at a PG showcase. Coaches aren't flying up to Alaska to watch him play a legion game and they're not going to offer him based on a showcase and a camp, they're going to want to see him play games against good competition. He has impressive numbers and good size with room to fill out. I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would be interested, even if to just guest play for a tournament or two. 

Somebody mentioned NorCal on another thread. The west coasters might be able to point you in a better direction, but there are a few good teams up that way. 

Alaskan,

I live in Seattle area. Not many here do PG because of the cost but I've heard good things about them from others on this site. Most here do either Baseball Northwest (https://baseballnorthwest.com/) or https://www.pnwregionalbaseball.com/ they are MUCH cheaper so you can keep your cost down. If you timed it right you could do both during the same trip and still have money left over if PG is really $650.00

Based on what they see at the eval you can get an invite to their regional games which have lots of scouts at them. Check their websites to see if any are from our list of target schools.

Alaskan posted:

3.4 GPA this year.  A couple of AP classes but nothing spectacular. What I would consider to be a average student.

Goals are to get a actuarial science degree and work in baseball.

Dream Schools : Cal Baptist or Arizona State.

Cal Baptist is not located in a "sexy' area of So Cal but I will tell you their facilities (both athletic and academic) are top notch and the couple of the coaching staff that I have met I get a thumbs up from me. They have established a good reputation and are doing quite well in their first year as a D1 program (WAC). I assume you have reached out to them/sent film. If not, you should and perhaps see where they (coaches) will be this summer. Good luck!! 

Cal Baptist has his desired degree (actuarial science). We haven't reached out to anyone yet. Should I send them film now or during his junior year? Should I be reaching out? Riverside isn't that bad. They have In-n-Out after all  

D I is a dream for him, probably like everyone else when they were a kid. I look at fit, affordability and him being happy with his choice,if he gets one to make...  I 

I do not want to discourage anybody, however you should always check on where they recruit from. Many California schools are made up almost entirely of young men from California. There are more California Ball Players than there is spots. Cal Baptist is no Different. Looking at their current roster, they are almost entirely from California. One kid from Minnesota. 

https://cbulancers.com/roster.aspx?path=baseball

Alaskan posted:

Cal Baptist has his desired degree (actuarial science). We haven't reached out to anyone yet. Should I send them film now or during his junior year? Should I be reaching out? Riverside isn't that bad. They have In-n-Out after all  

This could be a whole new thread, but for now the answer is to have him start reaching out via email and asking if they'll be at any showcases in the Pacific NW. Include his metrics, size, a short video of his swing, speed, glove, bullpen, and make the subject line attractive.  Joe Smith - 6'1 Sophomore RHP 86mph. 

Waiting is the worst thing you can do. Especially when he is interested in D1s like ASU. They already have a list of guys they need to see this summer. 

Just search the topic and I'm sure you'll find a ton on here. If not just make another thread about sending emails to coaches: how and when

Alaskan posted:

D I is a dream for him, probably like everyone else when they were a kid. I look at fit, affordability and him being happy with his choice,if he gets one to make...  I 

Nothing wrong with Riverside for sure. I would reach out now or soon (summer) with some video and metrics. Especially if you come down to the lower 48 for an event(s). True what was said about CBU looking at mostly Cali kids. However, if you make the effort and can get on their radar, I am sure they will take a look. You will at the very least get the ol' camp invite but I know they are very active come recruiting season. I have seen them each and every time my son played in Az during summer and Fall - CBU coaches were scouting on multiple fields.

thanks for the reply and i'll do more research on videos and sending it out. Central Wash is on the list.  from what I can see there are schools on the west coast with that degree and baseball. Stanford and Cal are out of his reach.  ASU & Cal Baptist are his dream schools,Central Washington (D2) & is closer to home and in a small town, which I like. Concordia Irvine (D II) is another. 

Alaskan posted:

Another question? How to I keep him playing Basketball? He  pretty good at that, and I don't  like specialization in sports. He just wants to play baseball. I think it will get boring and monotonous during the winter for him.   

I pushed my son to play basketball through his junior year. On the plus side, I had enough influence to keep him going out that long  Senior year, he put his foot down and refused to go out. He had a thoroughly good time coming up with obnoxious cheers, coaching his friends from the student section. At some point, you have to let your kid know themselves best.

JCG posted:

UCSB has an actuary program. Great baseball program too.  Not an easy school for an average student to get into without baseball though.

I can tell you from personal experience that it's very easy to get sidetracked at UCSB if a student is not focused on academics and/or never really learned how to study prior to attending . Awesome place though and a great education available along with fantastic extracurriculars!

If he is considering a visit to Cal Baptist, be sure to include Concordia Irvine (that noted above has the same degree option).  UCSD played them this year and they are a competitive, well-coached team.  It is a small but very nice campus surrounded by some nice homes, and it is only about 5 miles from the Pacific Ocean (versus 50 for Riverside).  And there is an In-n-Out beside the UC Irvine campus just a few miles away!

Speaking on Corcordia- Irvine,  I started doing the research and talking to my kid , and he brought them up before I did.

As far as basketball, he talked to the basketball coach and turned down a trip to go outside this summer  and informed him of his winter plans. The basketball coach ( great guy) told him he would save a place if he changed his mind and wished him the best. Also told him that he could workout (lift) with the team in the mornings before work. 

Ahhh... one of my favorite fields... I sorta hoped the kid would end up there (shoulda pulled a Lori Laughlin).  Although it didn't really suck having to go down to SD during JC years and occasionally driving up Hwy 1 to SF after that.  The facilities at PLU are actually surpringly a bit old and ragged.  But with that backdrop, it translates into "character".

And, PLU is doing quite well already at D2 level, qualified and currently playing in regionals.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Update:

We just finished the Alaska Legion season for 2019.

2019: Great summer, earned money working, worked out all summer, great season, 2-1, 17 IP =24Ks. Consistently 85-90 mph-just finished packing for AZ. His New HC says conditioning starts in a week.....Whew!

2021 had a great season. Pitching was great 3-0 2 SV 20.1 IP 29K  6 BB. Made All-State as a Infielder. Hit a couple of HRs for Legion.

2021 Was invited to a MLB scout showcase  this summer. He got his measurables done by a 3rd party there: 86 FB 72 CV 76 CH, 6.79 60yd, 86 EV, 87 IF from SS. He's 6'1, 157 lb. Still scrawny in my eyes. Won't be able to go to a showcase this year but will attend the Senior Fall Classic in AZ in October. He will pitch and be a SS/OF.

Question? Some of the scouts took his phone number and asked him some questions about the what positions he likes playing,etc. I would say pretty vanilla stuff to ask a 2021. Why would they taking his phone numbers? They talked to me, but it was more about the fishing in the area . After reading the Forum, i know better than to be "that dad". Our HC talked to a few of them. 

We started preparing a video to send out to schools he has got a interest in and will send it out as soon as it is complete. 

Thanks again for the replies and messages. Alaska does not have the network of baseball recruiting or as many showcases for kids to be noticed, but with your help, along with some friends, my boy (2019) has been able to get noticed and gets to play college ball in the lower 48. We only had approximately 288 kids playing Legion AA baseball. 

Alaskan posted:

Update:

We just finished the Alaska Legion season for 2019.

2019: Great summer, earned money working, worked out all summer, great season, 2-1, 17 IP =24Ks. ..

2021 had a great season. Pitching was great 3-0 2 SV 20.1 IP 29K  6 BB. ..

Question? Some of the scouts took his phone number and asked him some questions about the what positions he likes playing,etc. .. Why would they taking his phone numbers? ... Our HC talked to a few of them. 

Congrats, Alaskan!  Sounds like things are headed the right direction for both.  Just so funny to hear of successful seasons for top P's to be just 17+ and 20+ innings.  

Regarding your question about why they took phone numbers, sounds like the HC that talked to a few of them would be who you want to get specific feedback from.

Continued best.

Last edited by cabbagedad
cabbagedad posted:

Ahhh... one of my favorite fields... I sorta hoped the kid would end up there (shoulda pulled a Lori Laughlin).  Although it didn't really suck having to go down to SD during JC years and occasionally driving up Hwy 1 to SF after that.  The facilities at PLU are actually surpringly a bit old and ragged.  But with that backdrop, it translates into "character".

And, PLU is doing quite well already at D2 level, qualified and currently playing in regionals.

I have a relative who played and graduated there.  He loved the experience and the baseball program.  They play against some top notch teams in their division (Azusa Pac, Dixie St., etc).  I think last year there was a coaching change but heard it's still a great program.

I know it is tough to do given your location, but it might be time to get your 2021 off that legion team and send him south for a few tournaments this summer. He has great measurables and I'm sure he would stand out with some of the brand name teams this summer - even if he's only a guest player. 

I don't know how realistic that is given the geography, financial situation, work situation, etc. But it is something at least worth looking into and it would be doing a great service to your son. Either way, sounds like he's doing very well. 

PABASEBALL wrote “he has great measurables and I’m sure he would stand out.....”

I attend Showcases regularly looking for JuCo players.  There are only a few things that turn a coaches head at these events. A sub 6.6 sixty time will do it. So will 90 mph + FB velo on the mound.  A hitter that makes a different sound when the ball comes off his bat will do it too. But that’s about it.  Nobody cares what exit velo a kid can generate off a tee with a Happy Gilmore swing. Nobody cares if a kid throws 85 across the diamond vs 89. Coaches recruit kids that are good players after they have seen them play in person with their own eyes. Good players have great hands and feet.  They also have good instincts. They know how to run the bases, they take good angles to the ball, they know what base  to throw to, and they have intangibles - like heart and leadership qualities. None of those things can be measured but they are the things that determine whether a player is recruitable. Just my 2 cents but most coaches I know have the same opinion. 

adbono posted:

PABASEBALL wrote “he has great measurables and I’m sure he would stand out.....”

I attend Showcases regularly looking for JuCo players.  There are only a few things that turn a coaches head at these events. A sub 6.6 sixty time will do it. So will 90 mph + FB velo on the mound.  A hitter that makes a different sound when the ball comes off his bat will do it too. But that’s about it.  Nobody cares what exit velo a kid can generate off a tee with a Happy Gilmore swing. Nobody cares if a kid throws 85 across the diamond vs 89. Coaches recruit kids that are good players after they have seen them play in person with their own eyes. Good players have great hands and feet.  They also have good instincts. They know how to run the bases, they take good angles to the ball, they know what base  to throw to, and they have intangibles - like heart and leadership qualities. None of those things can be measured but they are the things that determine whether a player is recruitable. Just my 2 cents but most coaches I know have the same opinion. 

"He got his measurables done by a 3rd party there: 86 FB, 6.79 60yd, 86 EV, 87 IF. He's 6'1, 157 lb. Still scrawny in my eyes."

For a 16 year old that doesn't even weigh 160 lbs that is extremely projectable. There are levels to this. Lanky sophomore throwing hard will get interest. Senior is the same position no so much. I suggested putting him on a brand name team that way he doesn't have to turn heads at showcases, they will already be coming to him. 

I still disagree about the heart and leadership. That doesn't determine if a player is recruitable - his talent does. Coaches are seeing these guys 5 or 6 times before they offer in individual showcases and summer games where wins and losses don't really mean anything. Yeah a coach can ask around, but the truth is you can't measure heart, leadership, or any of that at a showcase/camp. Not everybody needs to be a leader. On a roster of 30+ guys the leaders will step up on their own and they will almost always be juniors and seniors that have been around and know the ropes

PABaseball posted:
adbono posted:

"He got his measurables done by a 3rd party there: 86 FB, 6.79 60yd, 86 EV, 87 IF. He's 6'1, 157 lb. Still scrawny in my eyes."

For a 16 year old that doesn't even weigh 160 lbs that is extremely projectable. There are levels to this. Lanky sophomore throwing hard will get interest. Senior is the same position no so much. I suggested putting him on a brand name team that way he doesn't have to turn heads at showcases, they will already be coming to him. 

I still disagree about the heart and leadership. That doesn't determine if a player is recruitable - his talent does. Coaches are seeing these guys 5 or 6 times before they offer in individual showcases and summer games where wins and losses don't really mean anything. Yeah a coach can ask around, but the truth is you can't measure heart, leadership, or any of that at a showcase/camp. Not everybody needs to be a leader. On a roster of 30+ guys the leaders will step up on their own and they will almost always be juniors and seniors that have been around and know the ropes

There is too much emphasis on posting measurables and not enough emphasis on improving play on the field. That is my point and most coaches agree with me. I’m giving you a different perspective. You aren’t obligated to listen or agree. 

ADBONO;

is there a "measurable" for "baseball intelligence", the 6th Tool and "desire to compete"?

It is called "non verbal" communication. Watch the player when he departs his car before practice or the game. Is the cell phone turn off. Is he walking tall and carrying his own equipment. If he is a hitter where is the bat? Is his shoes shined? Shirt "tucked in".

Cap squared in his head. "Is he ready to play"? Where is his water bottle?

Bob

"founder" of the Area Code games and Goodwill Series Int'l

Consultant posted:

ADBONO;

is there a "measurable" for "baseball intelligence", the 6th Tool and "desire to compete"?

It is called "non verbal" communication. Watch the player when he departs his car before practice or the game. Is the cell phone turn off. Is he walking tall and carrying his own equipment. If he is a hitter where is the bat? Is his shoes shined? Shirt "tucked in".

Bob

Thanks, Bob. You are making my case for me. 

New News:

A MLB scout/friend that was up here this summer called Mom and I over the weekend and offered a spring scout team spot for FEB/March he would like to see him on if a roster spot was available. He said the 2021 is still young but would like to see him compete against some kids down in the lower 48.

I talked with the HC about if anything was said on 2021. He said they asked where 2019 was and where he was going to college, if the kid (2021) was going anywhere else this summer and when we started the HS season.

Concerning intangibles:

I've never had to worry about the 2021 playing hard or his heart. He's always chased his Big brothers,older players and always wants to be the "Alpha" or the winner.. He's always been around our program since he was a 6th grader.

My concern is the connection/recruiting process living in Alaska. So all the numbers are on the video the 3rd party made. Stalker, Laser, the whole gambit. They did a great job.We will use that to send out to colleges this month.

Traveling out:

We are contemplating a 18U team in Seattle for the Junior going to Senior year rather than Legion. Lots of things are up in the air. Using your comments and suggestions have helped me to get mom on board more. Now that 2019 is leaving Mom and the rest of the kids are grown, She seems to be willing to try...( I think there will be some traveling for her if this happens.  

I'll keep you updated.

Depends on the level recruiting. They want the measurable AND the game play.  I watched a lefty kid come in throwing 81-83 and completely shutdown a team of P5 commits and no one cared. There were probably 10 P5 coaches there and no one talked to him at all.  You can throw a perfect game throwing 85-86... P5 coaches won’t even look.  There are too many kids in that pool. They want it all, and if you only have 1...it better be velo (obviously just speaking for pitchers).

baseballhs posted:

Depends on the level recruiting. They want the measurable AND the game play.  I watched a lefty kid come in throwing 81-83 and completely shutdown a team of P5 commits and no one cared. There were probably 10 P5 coaches there and no one talked to him at all.  You can throw a perfect game throwing 85-86... P5 coaches won’t even look.  There are too many kids in that pool. They want it all, and if you only have 1...it better be velo (obviously just speaking for pitchers).

Pitching velo is really the only measurable that matters because it usually translates to outs. 90 off a tee means nothing if everything is a chopper. 92 across is infield is a waste if the footwork and hands aren't there.

Measurables are useful for projection. This kid is tall and skinny now - if we put some muscle on him this is what he can be doing. He only weighs 160 and he's already putting the ball the fence. Get him in a weigh room eating 3500 calories a day and watch him hit bombs for us. Kid has a cannon from short, wait until we work with his hands. 

Colleges don't really want kids who are a finished product when they're 16/17. They want kids who are good, but they know they can get more out of. 

Consultant posted:

ADBONO;

Bob

a scout who uses these items as a primary rating factor is either retired or has become obsolete. In todays world zero kids have the phone turned off walking away from car (I might actually be more concerned about them if they did)...I would guess that less then .005% kids playing baseball in the entire U.S. have ever shined their spikes prior to a game and a smaller number before practice. The shirt tucked in another one, along with if they wear pants to the field or put them on in the parking lot...just silly.

All that being said I do think there is merit to body language and how they carry themselves but if a professional evaluator is going to be effective they better understand societal norms for the age. 

Edit - cause occasionally typing is lost to me.

Last edited by old_school
old_school posted:
Consultant posted:

ADBONO;

Bob

a scout who uses these items as a primary rating factor is either retired or has become obsolete. In todays world zero kids have the phone turned off walking away from car (I might actually be more concerned about them if they did)...I would guess that less then .005% kids playing baseball in the entire U.S. have ever shined their spikes prior to a game and a smaller number before practice. The shirt tucked in another one, along with if they where pants to the field or put them on in the parking lot...just silly.

All that being said I do think there is merit to body language and how they carry themselves but if a professional evaluator is going to effective they better understand societal norms for the age. 

I will give you that a couple of Bob’s examples are a bit outdated. But his point is valid. 

Thanks for the responses.

looking at projectables -

I'm a big guy 6'3" 250+( getting softer as I get older)  I Don't think he will be as big LB wise- I was 5'11 180 when I graduated HS then grew in college and a little more on the military. at 21-22 6'3" 215. but I think he may get as tall.

Grandpa was 6'2"205.

2012 Brother is 6'1 205.

2019 is 6'2 180 now after this summer of weight room. added 10 lbs. Looking forward to the return from college this winter and 5am weights.

No phones at field. period. They stay in the car. 

Alaskan posted:

I'm a big guy 6'3" 250+( getting softer as I get older)  I Don't think he will be as big LB wise- I was 5'11 180 when I graduated HS then grew in college and a little more on the military. at 21-22 6'3" 215. but I think he may get as tall.

Grandpa was 6'2"205.

2012 Brother is 6'1 205.

2019 is 6'2 180 now after this summer of weight room. added 10 lbs. Looking forward to the return from college this winter and 5am weights.

Not really a medical expert, but i've heard that your child's height has something to do with your wife's dad's height as well, all things being equal.

D6L posted:
Alaskan posted:

Grandpa was 6'2"205.

2012 Brother is 6'1 205.

Not really a medical expert, but i've heard that your child's height has something to do with your wife's dad's height as well, all things being equal.

You’ve heard a tale that has been passed on and on. Genetics can come from anyone in your family tree. I have a 6’2” friend with a 5’7” brother. There’s one aunt who is taller than both parents.

i had once heard boys grow to be 6-8 inches taller than their mother. I asked our pediatrician. She said it was folklore that is more likely to be true than not true. 

I had a 12u travel basketball player with skills that went way beyond anything I had ever seen in a kid before. I figured this kid had NBA potential given his 6’2” mother. He was a large state Gatorade Player of the Year and played in the ACC. I figured he would be 6’8”. He grew to be 6’3”. His NBA dream blew up when he never completely recovered from a torn ACL. 

RJM posted:
D6L posted:
Alaskan posted:

Grandpa was 6'2"205.

2012 Brother is 6'1 205.

You’ve heard a tale that has been passed on and on. Genetics can come from anyone in your family tree. I have a 6’2” friend with a 5’7” brother. There’s one aunt who is taller than both parents.

i had once heard boys grow to be 6-8 inches taller than their mother. I asked our pediatrician. She said it was folklore that is more likely to be true than not true. 

I had a 12u travel basketball player with skills that went way beyond anything I had ever seen in a kid before. I figured this kid had NBA potential given his 6’2” mother. He was a large state Gatorade Player of the Year and played in the ACC. I figured he would be 6’8”. He grew to be 6’3”. His NBA dream blew up when he never completely recovered from a torn ACL. 

Not sure if it's a tale, there is more validity that mother side genes supports it.

Since 2021 is already over 6'1",  ( he's hoping for 6'4" ) I think He's already a good height to add muscle & strength to his 160 lbs, which is the goal this winter.

2021 Mom's dad was 6' 225. Both sides have family shorter and taller than 6', but the avg is 6' + while most mothers are in ranges of 5'1"- 5'8" going back two or three generations.

Most of the kids seem to be bigger than parents on all sides except mine.but mine are all near the same size. Girls and boys.

Update:

We just got done with Legion and now the fall team 2021 plays on will travel down to AZ to play in Oct (AZ Senior Fall Classic) is practicing on the weekends.High School has started and basketball open gym (to which he said , I'm not playing ,just practicing..... we will see...) are going on.  I finally get to relax and do the yard work & honey-dos I sorely missed from coaching this year. 

Alaskan posted:

Since 2021 is already over 6'1",  ( he's hoping for 6'4" ) I think He's already a good height to add muscle & strength to his 160 lbs, which is the goal this winter.

2021 Mom's dad was 6' 225. Both sides have family shorter and taller than 6', but the avg is 6' + while most mothers are in ranges of 5'1"- 5'8" going back two or three generations.

Most of the kids seem to be bigger than parents on all sides except mine.but mine are all near the same size. Girls and boys.

Update:

We just got done with Legion and now the fall team 2021 plays on will travel down to AZ to play in Oct (AZ Senior Fall Classic) is practicing on the weekends.High School has started and basketball open gym (to which he said , I'm not playing ,just practicing..... we will see...) are going on.  I finally get to relax and do the yard work & honey-dos I sorely missed from coaching this year. 

Definitely you have a good size family and just eyeballing, most of your kids will be over 6', with good nutrition more inches will follow.  But some people might think because you are 6'5', they are getting your height, of course there are other factors as well.  I have a friend he is 6'8", and the doctors are projecting his son to be 6'9", there is no one in the wife's family that is remotely that tall, maybe few 6s.

Happy New Year,

Update on 2019-

He hung them up. I talked about it earlier in the summer. When he got down to his school, he liked the college experience- but the everyday "baseball" from 5am to 9pm wasn't his cup of tea. I completely understood his reasoning and knowing him probably the best outcome. Came back up for the winter, got a job and went back down to a different school in AZ this month. 

Funny thing is he threw a pen for " fun" with his little brother in Nov and broke 92. "I was just messing around"......and" I had to throw harder than my brother". Seems to be Happy as a lark with his decision. 

Update on the 2021-

He did very well at the AZ Fall Classic. Hit well, Ran well. Love the AZ heat. He topped at 88 on the FB, sat 84-86 and was up to 76 on the CB. Got to meet a number of schools from DI to junior colleges. He spoke to his "dream school" as well. Which he was super excited for.Great week overall. 

still growing and still scrawny -maybe 165 lbs.......

He stopped basketball and focused on getting better over the winter. 

Exit Velo has gone up a bit to breaking 90-92 consistently...

Next week, he'll travel down and play with a Canadian scout team in the PG MLK tournament. He is  going to see two schools in AZ (a JC and a NAIA) and stopping at one in OR (DI)and one in WA (JC) on the way back. In March,he will be traveling back to play in the AZ Pro tour with that same team. Looking forward to 60 degrees next week rather than last weeks -26 up here. 

As far as traveling out in the summer, it's not going to happen. Pretty funny to hear mom talk about that not happening. He's ok with it  knowing this is his last legion year, because of a senior summer baseball opportunity next year.

Other than updating you all every little bit,  Just happy to watch the trip....

2021 is a different beast than his brother. While 2019 would play football, basketball, track,  go hunting and fishing, 2021 would want to bring his mitt and bounce the ball off the wall, table, tree. Still does it.

He did play basketball, but stopped this year-for baseball.

From playing Strat-o-matic to OOTP on the computer, practicing, reading, baseball is a living-breathing thing to him it seems. 

2021 is the youngest and been around baseball players from HS to college his whole life. He knows that they stop at some point. His latest thing is that when he stops playing, he wants to coach and teach Math at HS or coach college ball.  

reminds me of a friend that is the head coach now at a HS. Got a chance (up to AAA) and went straight into coaching when he was released.

Alaskan posted:

Happy New Year,

Update on 2019-

He hung them up. I talked about it earlier in the summer. When he got down to his school, he liked the college experience- but the everyday "baseball" from 5am to 9pm wasn't his cup of tea. I completely understood his reasoning and knowing him probably the best outcome. Came back up for the winter, got a job and went back down to a different school in AZ this month. 

Funny thing is he threw a pen for " fun" with his little brother in Nov and broke 92. "I was just messing around"......and" I had to throw harder than my brother". Seems to be Happy as a lark with his decision. 

Update on the 2021-

He did very well at the AZ Fall Classic. Hit well, Ran well. Love the AZ heat. He topped at 88 on the FB, sat 84-86 and was up to 76 on the CB. Got to meet a number of schools from DI to junior colleges. He spoke to his "dream school" as well. Which he was super excited for.Great week overall. 

still growing and still scrawny -maybe 165 lbs.......

He stopped basketball and focused on getting better over the winter. 

Exit Velo has gone up a bit to breaking 90-92 consistently...

Next week, he'll travel down and play with a Canadian scout team in the PG MLK tournament. He is  going to see two schools in AZ (a JC and a NAIA) and stopping at one in OR (DI)and one in WA (JC) on the way back. In March,he will be traveling back to play in the AZ Pro tour with that same team. Looking forward to 60 degrees next week rather than last weeks -26 up here. 

As far as traveling out in the summer, it's not going to happen. Pretty funny to hear mom talk about that not happening. He's ok with it  knowing this is his last legion year, because of a senior summer baseball opportunity next year.

Other than updating you all every little bit,  Just happy to watch the trip....

Think this experience is really important to remember for all parties along the recruitment journey.  Unless you are the rare caliber player that is truly looking to go pro, always have the school you go to be a priority.  My oldest (different sport) hung them up relatively quickly after living through the demands of being a D1 athlete.  It's absolutely weighed in on how we go through the process with our 2021.  Have to pressure test the assumptions, the journey is so long sometimes it's tough to consider that once the student gets there, it may not be what they anticipated.  For example...it's tough to see other college kids being normal college kids and you having to grind away. What if they dont start for 2 years, will they still be as enthusiastic?  All matters to consider when choosing a school.  Do your best to make sure the school is the one you want to go to. 

"Unless you are the rare caliber player that is truly looking to go pro, always have the school you go to be a priority."

I disagree with this conclusion. If you are a player looking to go pro PLUS have a projectable MLB tool, you will be found anywhere. Your college choice is irrelevant.

The attached photo shows scouts and exec's from all 30 teams watching the baseball powerhouses of Cornell and Princeton play in 2014.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 2014-04-28 17.06.51
Last edited by Goosegg
Goosegg posted:

"Unless you are the rare caliber player that is truly looking to go pro, always have the school you go to be a priority."

I disagree with this conclusion. If you are a player looking to go pro PLUS have a projectable MLB tool, you will be found anywhere. Your college choice is irrelevant.

Yes.  And for everyone else, which is practically EVERYONE else, consider if you'll be happy at the school you are committing to if the sport goes away. 

Goosegg posted:

The attached photo shows scouts and exec's from all 30 teams watching the baseball powerhouses of Cornell and Princeton play in 2014.

BTW, think we are coming at it from two different points.  100% agree talent can and will be found anywhere.   I'm saying for almost any caliber player beyond upper level/5 star, the school you go to should be your priority from an academic/life fulfillment perspective.  

baseballhs posted:

I hear everyone on this board say that, but even if it is a great school for the kid how many kids would transfer if they couldn’t play and try to play somewhere else? I know 100% the school my son chose is a great school for him, but if he was not able to play there, I know he would transfer to another school so he could.

Certainly possible, but transferring isn't a walk in the park.  These are young kids, even if they are more focused/mature than others their age.  They get used to settings, friends, etc.  It's a difficult decision. My older had a chance to transfer given his grades, and opted to stay where he was as he was happy outside of the sport.  

"I'm saying for almost any caliber player beyond upper level/5 star, the school you go to should be your priority from an academic/life fulfillment perspective."

We clearly agree about academic/40 year priority. But, I'm even broader: the school you go to should be your priority from an academic/life fulfillment perspective - regardless of whether you're an tippy top tier player.

My son lost his starting job every year for his first three years; literally played himself off the travel roster his junior year; became - for those three years  - the 15th pitcher in a 12 man rotation. He never gave transferring a thought (though, after his first year, I had a bout of temporary insanity as I explored the possibility.)

But, to be sure, while we can utter the words "pick the right school," only afterwards, with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, do we know what that really means. At the beginning of the process it's flying blind, trying to identify, isolate, and weigh variables and extrapolate all that onto a teenager and devining effects which go on longer than he has been alive! It's far easier for me to opine today, than while he (and we) were going through the process.

Last edited by Goosegg
Goosegg posted:

"I'm saying for almost any caliber player beyond upper level/5 star, the school you go to should be your priority from an academic/life fulfillment perspective."

We clearly agree about academic/40 year priority. But, I'm even broader: the school you go to should be your priority from an academic/life fulfillment perspective - regardless of whether you're an tippy top tier player.

My son lost his starting job every year for his first three years; literally played himself off the travel roster his junior year; became - for those three years  - the 15th pitcher in a 12 man rotation. He never gave transferring a thought (though, after his first year, I had a bout of temporary insanity as I explored the possibility.)

But, to be sure, while we can utter the words "pick the right school," only afterwards, with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, do we know what that really means. At the beginning of the process it's flying blind, trying to identify, isolate, and weigh variables and extrapolate all that onto a teenager and devining effects which go on longer than he has been alive! It's far easier for me to opine today, than while he (and we) were going through the process.

haha agreed on all.  I suppose that's how we ended up here on this site!  Everyone trying to help everyone navigate what is perhaps unnaivgable.  Still, appreciate the support, emotional above all.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.